Petition to turn road traffic islands into traffic islands

I’m thinking of starting a petition to stop councils turning roundabouts into arboretums!
The amount of times you cut other road users up due to not being able to see because of these bloody trees and whatever else they put on them.
Is anyone else of the same opinion or is just me? ,and would anyone support it?
As you can guess by my posts today I’ve had a crap day!! Lol

jase:
I’m thinking of starting a petition to stop councils turning roundabouts into arboretums!
The amount of times you cut other road users up due to not being able to see because of these bloody trees and whatever else they put on them.
Is anyone else of the same opinion or is just me? ,and would anyone support it?
As you can guess by my posts today I’ve had a crap day!! Lol

The ‘highways’ people will claim it slows traffic to make the junctions safer.
Rubbish, in my view.
Trees on roundabouts stop me seeing what’s coming,therefore possibly hindering the vehicles
already on the circle.

Our braindead council put an enormous earth bank right as you get to a local roundabout. Traffic slows down far more now, even though its never normally busy and I cannot in 8yrs living here recall one accident of a vehicle hitting the middle of the roundabout or even seeing any bumps there (I used to go through there everyday on the way to the quarry).

Elf n saftee guvna. :imp:

Is there anyone with anything good to say about anything on here?

Completely agree with the OP driving a bulker(yeah yeah I know :smiley: ) at 44t most of the while Ive lost count of the cars, vans etc ive held up by pulling onto the island when nothings there to find by the time ive changed gear theres a queue of cars teararsing around.

It doesnt slow them down it just causes a massive blindspot !

Do it… post the link and ill spead the word on my facecack aswell as at work. Some roundabouts in scotland i see have been flattened but there are so many roundabouts you cant see and you have to guess and then as you pull out someone comes tearing round and has to brake… they shouldnt have been going so fast but i bet allot of close calls happen. Maybe Truck And Driver might like to adress this also.

I agree go and do the e-petition thingy…

Ive just done 2 see the thread about petitions above this one …It took me about 5 minutes to fill in and then confirmed e mail…just wait and see now.

With trees, bushes etc on the side of the road everywhere nowadays to keep the “greens” happy, come autumm no one will get a grip because of the leaves on the road, council hardly never roadsweep the highway now, so the drains block ,puddles half way across road, 50% of car driver won’t go through, causing more hold ups, crazy ideas!.

The idea is to stop you being able to see what is entering the roundabout and taking risks by not slowing down, although I agree some of the street furniture and foliage blocks the slower drivers view for safe egress

I remember coming across one roundabout where someone must have had some common sense in designing it as it was built up in the middle with concrete made into some sort of wierd arty design but the lot was set at a height which prevented the average car driver seeing over it (slow them down) but all higher vehicles could see over

Bugging me now as to where it was …

I agree,

Its the same in supermarket & retail park car parks.

These poxy little rows of shrubs and mini-hedge evrywhere that just block your visibility.

I want to get in and out as quickly as possible, Im not there on my bloody holidays and would be quite happy with a barren area of asphalt so I can park quick, get in quick and f** off quick.

p.s Bad day had here also!

Yeah it’s terrific when you can’t see what’s coming, pull out onto a clear roundabout but by time you are onto it there is a car flying into your underrun bars.

I thought it was all down to cost, when traffic islands had a nice grassed area that you could see across, someone had to mow the grass every few weeks and it took teams of council gardeners to do it. Plant shrubs and bushes on them and you ■■■■■ the maintainence to a mininum , plus there was probably some H&S bull that made it too dangerous to work on traffic islands.
Whatever the reason the poor vision is a very real problem, faster cars and snail pace acceleration with autobox trucks has made it all worse.

Petition to turn traffic islands into traffic islands ?

lolwut. :confused:

ROG:
I remember coming across one roundabout where someone must have had some common sense in designing it as it was built up in the middle with concrete made into some sort of wierd arty design but the lot was set at a height which prevented the average car driver seeing over it (slow them down) but all higher vehicles could see over

Bugging me now as to where it was …

Probably more luck than judgement Rog :wink:

jase:
‘… Petition … councils turning roundabouts into arboretums … not being able to see because of these bloody trees and whatever else they put on them … would anyone support it…?’

I’m with you, bro.

As both a cylclist & lorryist, these screened roundabout entrances are not as successful as clip-board wielding, Joe 90 geek, office-bound wallahs imagine that their undoubted (and expensive) “studies” tell them they are.

If roads are being abused, ie by users ‘entering’ a roundabout dangerously, too fast, etc - then my argument is to prosecute them - and not ineffectually nanny us all with this fashionably ‘happening’ but in essence, psychologically upsetting phenomenon: How can professional ‘journey-planning’ and ‘looking ahead’ be carried out effectively when one has to decay virtually all speed at umpteen dozen roundabout junctions each day?

The suits in power want their cake and bloody eat it whilst we get shafted with the plate, knife & doily up our jacksies …again!

Get PC Plod off their too absorbing anti-terrorist duties and back on roads to finger the road hooligans with dangerous/inconsiderate driving charges and where antisocial behaviour ferments in too many dorks & not treat us all like morons that not all of us are.

Crikey, that woke me up :neutral_face:

I think this is the best roundabout design ever :laughing:

We need to be able to see as much as possible ,would the Green lobby content itself with some tulips and pansies nothing higher than a daffodil.When a blind driver runs into a tree the clear up takes a long time.

A quick update.
I’ve sent the online petition up on HM Governments website and im just waiting for it to be approved and if it is i’ll post the link on here straight away.

You never know,someone may take notice.

Well ive been checked out and im not a islamist nutcase and my petition has been granted.
Heres the link if you’d like to sign it epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/14923