Roundabouts.

This practice of replanting the Rainforests right in the middle of roundabouts should be banned, I don`t know how many are now downright dangerous due to the fact you cant see whats coming round them because of the trees and bushes.

A lot of the times I just keep going but the speed that some of these muppets come round them especially on dual carriageways you have no option to stop, then go , then stop and wondering how many pallets you will be picking up at your next drop.

Fair enough a few flowers or something but it wouldn`t suprise me to see some African wildlife living in them quite happily.

You should be able to see every exit and entry point or is this just my terrible telepathic skills and when the BMW starts honking his horn its my fault after all.

I agree on this one, had more than one near miss due to an idiot driving round the roundabout too fast.

Hopefully the cuts in Spending by councils will solve this problem.

Just creates problems, affects traffic flow, but hey it looks nice and it is probably 55k well spent :wink: :confused:

aranger:
This practice of replanting the Rainforests right in the middle of roundabouts should be banned, I don`t know how many are now downright dangerous due to the fact you cant see whats coming round them because of the trees and bushes.

A lot of the times I just keep going but the speed that some of these muppets come round them especially on dual carriageways you have no option to stop, then go , then stop and wondering how many pallets you will be picking up at your next drop.

Fair enough a few flowers or something but it wouldn`t suprise me to see some African wildlife living in them quite happily.

You should be able to see every exit and entry point or is this just my terrible telepathic skills and when the BMW starts honking his horn its my fault after all.

PMSL :laughing: :laughing: :smiley: :smiley:

Made worse when driving an auto where you need to book an appointment to pull out.

Darby Flyer:
Made worse when driving an auto where you need to book an appointment to pull out.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Darby Flyer:

PMSL :smiley: :smiley: So true!

ha totally agree,its make pulling out when your tugging 44t very hard when you can’t see what is entering the roundabout

Darby Flyer:

That’s a cracker , i’ll need to remember that one :laughing:

The thinking from most so called safety experts in local councils is that if the driver cannot see then it will slow them down !!!

Experienced drivers of large vehicles know that they are likely to upset some numpty who comes quickly into vision after they have committed and cannot ‘reverse out of the way’ :laughing: so it remains a fact of driving that has to be ‘coped with’

I feel sorry for the poor trainees on a LGV test who get caught in this situation when they have one of those examiners that do not use the GO then SEE it so it’s OK and the SEE it then GO so it’s a fail way of looking at it
By SEE it I mean that it is nowhere in sight when deciding to commit

merc0447:

Darby Flyer:

That’s a cracker , i’ll need to remember that one :laughing:

I think Mercs are feminine, the one I had last week couldn’t decide which gear to pull away in and then changed down as soon as it started moving. This made an interesting journey on A17.

[quote="waddy640
Hopefully the cuts in Spending by councils will solve this problem.[/quote]
Probably the opposite will happen and more of these maintenence free roundabouts will be common. I think the idea of these was to save the council having to cut the grass on a regular basis.

ROG:
The thinking from most so called safety experts in local councils is that if the driver cannot see then it will slow them down !!!

Might be that or just that some council body thinks it will look nice and can get a sponsor to pay for it. They have no idea of the problems of getting a large vehicle onto a roundabout when you can’t see all around it, so it wouldn’t have even have crossed thier mind.

ROG:
Experienced drivers of large vehicles know that they are likely to upset some numpty who comes quickly into vision after they have committed and cannot ‘reverse out of the way’ :laughing: so it remains a fact of driving that has to be ‘coped with’

I feel sorry for the poor trainees on a LGV test who get caught in this situation when they have one of those examiners that do not use the GO then SEE it so it’s OK and the SEE it then GO so it’s a fail way of looking at it
By SEE it I mean that it is nowhere in sight when deciding to commit

I think most examiners know the problems, I nearly wiped out a learner car on a roundabout on my test. This was due to the bad positioning of the car. The examiner only realised where the car was when I nearly sent him through the window (pre truck seat belts :smiley: ) by jumping on the brakes to avoid the car. :laughing:

Was wondering why more and more where springing up but didn`t even think of the cost of maintaining them when they had grass or wee flower beds.

Now they just get Paul Hogan to design them and will soon have Ant and Dec putting B listers through their roundabout trials, it can be a right pain in the arse at times.

one of my favourite coplaints, theres one on the Leeds ringroad near the aston martin garage thats a right pain. Bloody great trees on it’ :angry: :angry: :angry:

Trev_H:
Probably the opposite will happen and more of these maintenence free roundabouts will be common. I think the idea of these was to save the council having to cut the grass on a regular basis.

No, the idea was to restrict vision to make drivers slow down on approach.

Don’t even get me going me going on what they’ve done on my local round about recently. (M55 J3). Talk about jobs for the boys & a surplus of white paint - half of which was blacked out again less than 2 weeks later after realizing the c*ck up!

Trev_H:

No, the idea was to restrict vision to make drivers slow down on approach. The same as, (for those of you who remember) straight approaches, were realigned to give a kinked approach.

Don’t even get me going me going on what they’ve done on my local round about recently. (M55 J3). Talk about jobs for the boys & a surplus of white paint - half of which was blacked out again less than 2 weeks later after realizing the c*ck up!

knight:
one of my favourite coplaints, theres one on the Leeds ringroad near the aston martin garage thats a right pain. Bloody great trees on it’ :angry: :angry: :angry:

I don’t find that one too bad because you don’t really have to slow down for it if you’re on the ring road. Assuming no-one is at the side of you, you can drive straight across that at the apexes without even needing to touch the wheel. Also, if anyone’s turning right, it’s that tight that they have to go at the pace of a snail so as long as you’re fairly close to the line you can just boot it straight across without causing them too much of an issue.

In Enfield there’s a roundabout which the local HGV instructors and examiners know as “suicide roundabout” because it’s where most people fail their driving tests. On my test I had to wait there for about 5 minutes before what looked like a gap appeared, so I went for it, only to have a BMW come hurtling into view with no indicator on, but it was too late, I was half out and I made it stop. I thought at that point “well, that’s a fail” but my friendly examiner didn’t even give me a minor mark for it :smiley:

It wouldn’t be quite so bad if people drove a little slower around the roundabout in their cars, but a lot of drivers’ wouldn’t know what a safe, relaxed driving pace is anyway, so it’s unlikely that will ever happen. Roundabouts would be made safer if you could see over them.

I feel the problem with the roundabouts is that they are simply too large and treated like racetracks, sometimes by lorry drivers as well, often it looks like someone is just trying to out-brake someone else on the approach simply to get the racing line. :open_mouth:

I remember when I was driving through Hungary and they must have only had one roundabout in the country, people used to come from miles around in the family Trabant to drive round it and have a picnic near it :laughing: Unfortunately roundabouts seem to be a British disease, although they do have them in Holland and France, they are much smaller and are used to control traffic, but even these have topiary designs or street furniture to block the view of maniacal drivers.