Roundabouts.

Once the planners realise that putting up all sorts of barriers etc to slow drivers down does not work they then put traffic lights on them - you could not make this up !!!

As usual it comes down to the point where dumbing everything down for the numptiest of drivers takes preference and all because the Govt will not introduce ongoing assessments/training for drivers as it will lose them votes

ROG:
Once the planners realise that putting up all sorts of barriers etc to slow drivers down does not work they then put traffic lights on them - you could not make this up !!!

As usual it comes down to the point where dumbing everything down for the numptiest of drivers takes preference and all because the Govt will not introduce ongoing assessments/training for drivers as it will lose them votes

I can sometimes understand traffic lights on roundabouts which are designed to prioritise certain directions of traffic. Due to peak time flows of traffic being uneven from the different entries and exits on the roundabout, the situation arises where some drivers get no chance at all to get onto the roundabout and thus sometimes causing queues which can end up backing up down the motorway sliproad, causing a greater hazard. But a lot of the time they’re not necessary.

I agree with you though Rog.

aranger:
‘…Roundabouts … the speed that some of these muppets come round them …’

Use a stinger?

Or, try encroaching onto the r/a very slowly until they can’t race or even creep round one’s front end anymore: Eyes shut in either the car or lorry works best for me. When they can’t get past they’ll invariably rant that “they were on the roundabout before you” (which usually due to their habit of hogging the bumper of the car in front or a perceived need to wheel-spin onto the r/a then go at warp speed around it) - in which case maybe speed cameras, humps or proper management (ha!), etc is necessary?

With my anorak on, a time programmed speed hump - perhaps installed one vehicle’s length before the Give Way line could create a ‘breach’ effect permitting only one at a time to hurl themselves in. It would space oncoming vehicles whereby a string of the blighters doesn’t have the monopoly. It would also remove a need for others coming from less popular entrances to launch in from at mach 2+

Which suggests, maybe don’t come from - or go to unpopular places at busy times?

Darby Flyer:
Made worse when driving an auto where you need to book an appointment to pull out.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: yeah but i book an apointment i turn up at the roundabout at the alloted time and end up being double booked with a bmw :imp:

but an auto box on a roundabout - i honestly think you’d stand a better chance of not hitting anything if you got out attached a rope to the front of the truck slung it over your shoulder and heaved it onto roundabout get some momentum on the r/b then quickly jump back in the cab while its still moving and away you go.

wack it into manual i hear you cry - if i did that the my tm’s computer screen would light up like an xmas tree thanks to masternaught :exclamation: :imp:

I subscribe to the theory that traffic on the roundabout has priority, not traffic 100 yards away from it doing 100mph that will have right of way when it gets there. And Don’t you just love the fences, grass banks, and signs errected to block your vision on approach?
And @Cruise Control, apparently it is better to leave them in automatic and let them lose all your momentum going uphill by staying in fifth and making three downchanges, labouring the engine before overreving it in 2nd at 10mph rather than using your eyes, saying “there is a hill approaching, my selecting the appropriate gear before the hill, I can maintain speed and momentum up it albeit at the cost of allowing the rev counter to venture outside of the green band”