Petition to class HGV as skilled job

Went through petitions on 10 downing street and found this one - someone might find it interesting

petitions.number10.gov.uk/hgvasaskilljob/

Not many signatures… :question: :question: :cry: :cry:

i have done my bit and signed… keep the faith, after all what can you lose… :smiley:

It is a skilled job.
Driving is a skill, people have to learn how to do it. If you put someone who has never driven before into a car or truck they wont have a clue how to drive it.
A job like a cleaner or shelf stacker is unskilled because you dont need any training in how to do it.

I, naturally, have signed this - and so should everyone on this forum

Reaction is very slow for this, I am amazed:confused: :confused: :confused:

Signed :smiley:

Smee:
Reaction is very slow for this, I am amazed:confused: :confused: :confused:

It could be due to the fact that these petitions to Downing Street are a complete and utter waste of time and effort.

Signed :smiley: :smiley:

We are only professional when things go wrong.

alamcculloch:
We are only professional when things go wrong.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: …Ain’t that a fact… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry, but after reading the details of the petition I won’t be signing. Apart from the numerous spelling mistakes and lack of supporting evidence to show that we do a skilled job, it is only basically asking for more money.
a) It’s LGV not HGV
b) Why is the second figure in dollars ?
c) What skills ?
d) There are 3 separate tests to be able to drive 44 tonnes, list them and the cost of training.
d) Claiming it takes concentration and skill to drive a 60 foot lorry on the roads isn’t part of a skill, it’s part of driving anything.
e) Tachograph regulations
f) Working time regulations
g) Height restrictions and weight limits
h) Poor overnight facilities
i) The whole population depends on what we do just to be able to eat every day.
j) Add your own to the list.

If someone wants to put a more reasonable case I’ll sign, but that one makes us look like amateurs.
:frowning:

Not that it’ll do any good. None of those petitions ever do.

sorry dont do much posting but have signed anyway

Its not Skilled, its a talent, and a way of life

Skills can be learnt… although with some it may take some extended learning.

Driving is either within you , or it isnt, if you havent the abitlty within you no-one is ever going to get you through the test

I’ve signed, 27th :frowning:

Think we need a few more before they take notice :open_mouth:

Signed :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

smoker:
but that one makes us look like amateurs.

Agreed, that does us no favours at all. Anyway, at best it is only a semi-skilled job and you don’t have to spend too long on the roads to work that out.

Would it be a skilled job if periodic retesting was compulsory? - and I don’t mean the new Driver CPC as that is not a test of on-road skills or anything else !!

How would classifying the job as skilled increase the rates of pay ?

Pay rates are determined by supply and demand and as we all know there are currently far more drivers than jobs, when/if this situation changes rates will increase regardless of weather or not the job is classed as skilled unskilled or whatever.

Coffeeholic:

smoker:
but that one makes us look like amateurs.

Agreed, that does us no favours at all

I agree.

If that’s the best argument we could put up for better rates or conditions we’re all doomed :laughing:

Our trouble is and always has been

We Don’t stick together

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: