LGV Driver - Skilled or UnSkilled?

Interesting to read peoples views. Obviously the load that is carried varies on skill involved ie car transporters, dangerous chemicals loading and discharging but im referring to actual driving trucks.

Skilled but a lot choose not to or don’t apply themselves i.e looking ahead etc

Driving lorries is unskilled, semi-skilled at best, Christ you can be qualified in a week so how skilled can it be.

I agree that a lot of drivers don’t apply themselves, but the fact that they can still manage to drive lorries and get by doing the job shows how little skill is required.

We are skilled in the same way that everybody is skilled. To me, skilled is just the same as experienced. I am better at driving trucks than a shelf stacker would be…on the other hand, he is better at stacking shelves than me, because he has more experience in that line than me. His skill is as valid as mine.

semi skilled, let’s be honest it’s not rocket science.

I agree that its not a highly skilled job, but the responsibility placed on our shoulders is probably greater than a lot of skilled professions. I wish the wages reflected the responsibility.:frowning:

Driving a lorry properly is skilled, it’s only been deskilled because we’ve allowed, nay encouraged demanded and welcomed it, by chasing the simplest and easiest of jobs and the simplest to drive lorries, bum on seat steering wheel operative.

Any fool can jump in and get a modern lorry moving, not much more input than selecting D and turning the wheel in many jobs, and each new generation of lorry gets more automated…what never fails to astound me is that drivers actually welcome this (ooh doesn’t the latest model from so and so look the part… :unamused: ), then wonder why the pay is crap, then if they don’t like it any old johnny foreigner can replace them.

Train drivers, in comparison, didn’t allow their jobs to be dumbed down, hence why they earn nearly twice as much as most lorry drivers.

Theres a lot of rules and regulations, expense and skill involved for it to be classed as unskilled work. The good old dcpc surely now makes truck driving a highly skilled occupation :laughing:

Juddian:
Driving a lorry properly is skilled, it’s only been deskilled because we’ve allowed, nay encouraged demanded and welcomed it, by chasing the simplest and easiest of jobs and the simplest to drive lorries, bum on seat steering wheel operative.

Any fool can jump in and get a modern lorry moving, not much more input than selecting D and turning the wheel in many jobs, and each new generation of lorry gets more automated…what never fails to astound me is that drivers actually welcome this (ooh doesn’t the latest model from so and so look the part… :unamused: ), then wonder why the pay is crap, then if they don’t like it any old johnny foreigner can replace them.

Train drivers, in comparison, didn’t allow their jobs to be dumbed down, hence why they earn nearly twice as much as most lorry drivers.

Im no expert but id imagine a modern train is easier to drive than a steam engine and haveing things like failsafe signals.
Its strong union backing thats enabled train drivers to keep pay and conditions up.

kr79:

Juddian:

Im no expert but id imagine a modern train is easier to drive than a steam engine and haveing things like failsafe signals.
Its strong union backing thats enabled train drivers to keep pay and conditions up.

Agreed, but the train drivers themselves are the union.

No reason why lorry drivers can’t do the same, and in many yards that is the case.

kr79:

Juddian:

Also, train companies do their own training, so they only train the drivers they need. In transport, anyone can get the license, so we are over supplied with drivers.

skill is reversing blind side 90 degree on to a loading bay in the pouring rain in the dark, and getting on in 1 go no shunts :grimacing: :grimacing: yes i count myshelf as having done that :grimacing: :grimacing:

you can pass a HGV test in 1 week. The factory job I’m starting tuesday has 2 weeks training and a monkey could do it.

I’m going to have to go with semi skilled I’m afraid.

Other than the driving aspects.
I make critical decisions
I make risk assessments
I perform calculations
I multi task
I am trained to use a tail lift
I can use a tachograph
I empower others to assist me
I encourage others to use H/Safety
I communicate at different levels.

The list is not exhaustive
Do you think I’m skilled

■■■■■■00:
Other than the driving aspects.
I make critical decisions
I make risk assessments
I perform calculations
I multi task
I am trained to use a tail lift
I can use a tachograph
I empower others to assist me
I encourage others to use H/Safety
I communicate at different levels.

The list is not exhaustive
Do you think I’m skilled

Wow, you’re wasted as a truck driver. With those skills, you could be anything…or anyone.

This looks pretty skilled to me.

pbs.twimg.com/media/BxbqXdBIAAActG8.jpg

Unskilled as anyone who can pass a medical can do it

burnley-si:
skill is reversing blind side 90 degree on to a loading bay in the pouring rain in the dark, and getting on in 1 go no shunts :grimacing: :grimacing: yes i count myshelf as having done that :grimacing: :grimacing:

Fluke

Alcpone:

burnley-si:

Fluke

lol you can call it that :smiley: i call if feking good as there where 8 trucks parked up and people watching how many shunts i was going to have :laughing: :laughing:

tachograph:
Driving lorries is unskilled, semi-skilled at best, Christ you can be qualified in a week so how skilled can it be.

This^