Passed C+E JUST NEEDMY FIRST JOB

Hi all im new to the list I used to be a train driver but seems overhead cables caused me severe headaches! so I had to quit train driving.
Driving is what i have done since i was 18 So I decided to become a wannabe trucker i passed cat c about 18months ago but found it hard to get a start with any agencies as they all wanted 2 years driving experience, so i decided to go for the big C+E and try to get a start that way the test was quite a task but i got through it,
If anyone has any tips on how to get a start id be glad to hear from you perhaps you know a company that takes on new drivers after all everyone has to start somwhere
thanx in advance John

Try again with the agencies, it’s coming to the “busy” period so you might have more luck…

You’re first year is likely to be difficult with employment though I guess your age will be on your side. There are firms that take on inexperienced drivers but imo it’s often ■■■■ work for a ■■■■ company, but it is experience.

I think HGV 1 driving is going to be an eye opener for you, it’s not the cushy life you’re used to, neither does it pay near so much… but I guess you know that

Best of luck, and welcome…

Congratulations on the tests passes
and welcome to TruckNet UK also
good luck finding work :smiley:

Hi thanx for the welcome!
I know im probably not going to earn as much trucking as i did on the trains but at the end of the day I like driving and its not just the money you work for you need to be a little bit happy as well no point doing a job if your not happy I think if I had to take an office job id be bored stiff my plan for this week is to cantact all the agencies again and post as many application requests as I can lets see if it works this time round

I got wires coming in and wires coming out :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome to the electronic cafe.

Some of the tales on here are shocking though :smiley:

The only firm that might be worth a go if you want to tramp up your way is Jack Richards in Fakenham.
Might be worth a call??

you could always try here
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17869 :wink:

Hi thanx for the tips! I might give jack richards a go if i dont get anywhere in the next week or so did not real want to tramp but will do if it gets me a start untill somthing better comes up!

The drive to romania would have been good but im still waiting for my license to come back with my c+e added so maybe would not be able to go without it. And they might be hoping for a driver with a little more experience than i currently have thanx you never know might have a crack at it next year or so.

just a quick update on the job front spent the weekend looking up all the agencies and emailng aplications and cv. Then what do you know friend calls in and lets me know of a vacancy coming up at his place for A class 1 driver apparently one of there drivers is retiring very soon so hope i can nip in and get an interview I have emailed my cv and letter so hopfully get an interveiw soon as the job has not been advertised yet. FINGERS CROSSED :wink:

Call in before it’s too late…

Nothing better than knocking doors, that way they remember you and if you’re half presentable the job’s yours.

Hi all just an update rang a few agency’s and got asked in to sign on with aptus dont know if they are any good? any one worked for them they told me its a bit quiet this week but got a lot of work comming in by the end of the month for pallet line in thetford any info or tips would be great! They did not seem to worry about my experience or lack of it the attitude was well you passed the C+E test so you can drive them, last year when i went to aptus they said they could not take me on with less than 2 years experience seems the class 1 test past must make a big difference, I suppose time will tell said he could give me a job on the continent for a removal company away for a week at a time but i think i’ll stick to the left side of the road for a bit bfore i venture abroad have to play the waiting game for a week but said definatly get me out by end of the month we will see!

equilizer:
I know im probably not going to earn as much trucking as i did on the trains but at the end of the day I like driving and its not just the money you work for you need to be a little bit happy as well no point doing a job if your not happy

Try telling that to my work mates then!!!
They all think I’m mad wanting to be a truck driver…oh I still do work for the railway at the moment!!

equilizer:
I know im probably not going to earn as much trucking as i did on the trains but at the end of the day I like driving and its not just the money you work for you need to be a little bit happy as well no point doing a job if your not happy I think if I had to take an office job id be bored stiff my plan for this week is to cantact all the agencies again and post as many application requests as I can lets see if it works this time round

Too right. About 18mo I packed in a very well paid job in IT to drive trucks and although I’m poorer now I’m a lot happier.

Paul

Its nice to see not everyone works just for the money you cant put a price on happiness at the end of the day you only live once so might as well be happy!
:laughing:
another update I have an interview in the morning for class 1 recovery job but have found out since getting interview the company is not that good and pay is an insult only £6 an hour but I suppose I might give it a go till the agency gives me a call in a week or so a little experience might come in handy

Well I have got the job if I want it! … not sure if im going to take it £6 an hour doing recovery work on call as well…! the night rate is £9 an hour after 6pm but i guess most of the work is done 9-5. I have not committed myself to the job yet as i have this agency work supposed to be coming up only problem with the agency is your not guaranteed any work but the pay is better when you do work.
I have already made the new guvnor aware that I will be looking for a pay increase in the very near future and he did not seem too shocked on the interview when I told him :astonished: he agreed there could be a rise in the near future :exclamation: I suppose my best option is to take this job and get some much needed experience and work on the rise and look for somthing that pays better in the meantime any opinions would be apreciated. A least I would be of the dole :smiley:

IMHO I would take the permanent job because the choices and decent rates come courtesy of experience and referances the pay may not be great but it is a definite step on the ladder.

Latest update phoned to accept the job but the boss is now saying he will let me know later as he offerd it to someone else :unamused: I think at £6 an hour he’s bluffing he did not like me saying i would let him know at the interview I played it cool and told him to let me know by 3 oclock if I was a gambler I would bet my money on him calling me at about 4:30 to start in the morning we will see keep you updated

well got a job with an agency driving tanker non hazardous of course but nice little earner 12 hour nights love it money good as well so if anyone needs number of agency to try in norwich area just ask I know of two that will sort out some on job training for newbies :sunglasses: