Opinions

Hi all

I am currently in the process of getting my C+E.

Im still in my old I.T job at the moment. I have been told by a mate of mine to start doing weekend agency work to get my foot in the door and experience up. Now this makes a lot of sense. But it’s a huge leap, I’m not sure if it’s me being lazy or just not having the confidence to make the step into the world of HGV driving.

Now the thought of me sat driving down the motorway in a truck excites the crap out of me. So I know I’m not getting second thoughts about being a HGV driver as a whole.

Has anybody else ever been in the same boat as me??

Also if anybody knows any agency’s in Hull then please pass on there details

Many Thanks

Paul

As far as getting your C+E licence you must pass the C first the old class 2 rigid. I am on I.T and passed my tests @ 1 yr ago. if you are working full time and sign on with agencies (reputable) then due to the WTD you will only be able to do a run every other weekend ie one Sat in 2 . Question then is will you have gained enough experience on that proviso to make an informed decision as to if the Transport industry is for you.

Forget the normal hours or 9-5 you might do in the office we are talking 02.00 and 03.00 in the morn being at a transport office ready to take a unit out on a run that my involve a number of drops if its C or straight trunk if you are C+E it is not a job for the faint hearted as many times you will be asked to handball goods off the back of the unit and as some on here will testify some of the places you are sent to are almost impossible to back into without hitting something< but that is all part of the learning process. If you can cope with that and the sh units that you are given < no one is going to trust agency with the best part of 80Ks with or motor then you will be fine :smiley:

Me well I bow down to the people who do this for a living as I dont have the fitness to be able to do it on a full time basis. It really is a question of ■■■■ it and see as no to experiences are the same what is good for one is not for the other. If you were to ask me if it was worth doing I would without a doubt yes it is always something you can fall back on if needs be and is another skill, as for it being a full time career. I think you would be better off asking someone else.

HTH
:smiley:

I’m getting desperate to get some AGY hours now…

signed on with 4, no ringing of my phone…

hi bubble, what do you mean by WTD. i am doing my class C at the end of the month and was hoping to agency work at weekends to gain experience.

WTD - Working Time Directive.

It’s nothing to do with WTD, it’s the Drivers Hours requirement to take a full 45 hour break every two weeks that effectively means you can only do alternate weekends.

Yes, you’ll be scared when you first find yourself at the wheel with nobody to supervise but only as scared as you were when you first learned to drive a car.

As to whether you’ll be cut out for it you won’t know unti you try - same as any career change…but the big difference here is that it’s possible to try a few weekend shifts before taking the plunge.

It’s nothing to do with WTD, it’s the Drivers Hours requirement to take a full 45 hour break every two weeks that effectively means you can only do alternate weekends.

Which means 1 driving shift in every fortnight if you work M-F and having to fill out a tacho for every day in the week that you drove to show your rest periods.

Think I got that right Coffeeholic, didn’t I - wait for the shot :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: