Parking fine

Parked up last night on the road at the side of whitwood truckstop, parked there for years? Woke up this morning to a parking fine, which states offence as parking up without lights on truck overnight, now this road is street lit, do I have any case or is it pay the £50 an forget about ?

Sorry Mark, it looks like you are screwed. If you park a large vehicle on a public road during the hours of darkness it must have side and tail lights on.
I suspect there might be involvement by the truck stop, some don’t like you parking outside for free then using their facilities. :bulb:
Regards. John.

Leaving side lights on may flatten the batteries

About the only thing I learnt on my cpc course was if you are parked up overnight on a ppublic road you have to have lights on except if you are in a lay by that has a kerb

Where were you parked? The road that takes you down to Shearings? I’d say you’re screwed. Sorry.

You need a set of bicycle lights one front one rear. Oh and if your facing the wrong direction ie opposite side of the road thats another fine…
Toby… It ain’t plods or anyone else’s fault if you get flat batteries…

toby1234abc:
Leaving side lights on may flatten the batteries

Have you a seen Marks truck? Ten minutes with sidelights on would ■■■■ them batteries dry! :smiley:

One of our lads got caught out like that a while back, he then bought some bicycle lights which he puts on every night. (Apart from when he’s home of course 'cos that’d be ridiculous).

I often drive a bus home after work and park outside my house.One neighbour doesnt like this arrangement,cant imagine why.I tape battery bike lights to the front and rear windows.

What I find amusing (if thats the right word) is that if said fine is because it is “unsafe to be parked without side lights on”,then why issue a fine in the dark and leave it till morning? Surely its still just as unsafe even if the ticket is tucked under the windscreen wiper! Its almost as if fines for this sort of thing are more about money than safety…Perish the thought though :laughing:

Good idea really on the A14/A1/A42/A34/A43 etc etc…

But on an industrial estate?

They are going after the wrong people. HGV’s in a layby on a 70mph road, unlit and about an inch from the white line is a much bigger hazard than some cheapskate not able/willing to pay for a truckstop but still wanting use of the facilities :smiley:

I woke up to a note under my windscreen. It said

“parking fine. £50. Yorkshire Police”

I thought it was nice of them to leave a compliment on my parking. Positive policing. I was quite chuffed with my reversing too I might say. I’m ringing up later to claim my £50 reward.

old 67:
I suspect there might be involvement by the truck stop, some don’t like you parking outside for free then using their facilities. :bulb:
Regards. John.

Motors are parked without lights on Ind Estates all the time.
I agree with John.

I’m constantly surprised by members of the public who seem to be amazed to find lorries on industrial estates and I marvel when they shake their heads because a maneuvering truck has held them up for 30 seconds! The clue is in the name, it’s an industrial estate ffs.

I like to refer to posh southern villages as Nimby estates, like their oppos - industrial estates. Only thing is Nimby’s can park in a Nimby estate, but an industrial vehicle can’t park in an industrial estate. And out of the 2, which one is restricted on driving time? :unamused: