Side lights and parking

as i’m sure you know. hgv’s should be illuminated at night when parked on a highway.
what is the definition of illuminated?
Quite a few trucks had tickets put on them recently. (all by the same copper).
some were parked under street lamps, one had a red and white light hanging off his mirror. But they all got tickets.

limeyphil:
as i’m sure you know. hgv’s should be illuminated at night when parked on a highway.
what is the definition of illuminated?
Quite a few trucks had tickets put on them recently. (all by the same copper).
some were parked under street lamps, one had a red and white light hanging off his mirror. But they all got tickets.

legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989 … on/24/made

Just ask tthe copper that wrote the ticket to jump start the motor due to flat batteries due to having side lights on all night.

The law says that on a road with a speed limit greater than 30, vehicles (not just hgv’s) are to keep their sidelights on when parked up…its pretty simple really. And before people say about flat batteries and blah blah blah…about a month ago I accidentally took the keys for a truck home with me and left the sidelights on…guess what?..started first time no problem after about 15 hours!

And for all of those who don’t like the copper because he done his job, I bet you’d all moan if he didn’t do his job and something happened! Little LED’s use hardly any power and if your battery is tip-top then there isn’t an issue…til lifts and other things drain your battery. It doesn’t take much to quickly start your engine just before you get into your bed to fully charge the batteries so there won’t be a problem in the morning…as per usual though, truckers just make complaints about someone doing their job because they’re too lazy to do their own properly!

Adam_Mc:
The law says that on a road with a speed limit greater than 30, vehicles (not just hgv’s) are to keep their sidelights on when parked up…its pretty simple really. And before people say about flat batteries and blah blah blah…about a month ago I accidentally took the keys for a truck home with me and left the sidelights on…guess what?..started first time no problem after about 15 hours!

And for all of those who don’t like the copper because he done his job, I bet you’d all moan if he didn’t do his job and something happened! Little LED’s use hardly any power and if your battery is tip-top then there isn’t an issue…til lifts and other things drain your battery. It doesn’t take much to quickly start your engine just before you get into your bed to fully charge the batteries so there won’t be a problem in the morning…as per usual though, truckers just make complaints about someone doing their job because they’re too lazy to do their own properly!

Any vehicle over 1525kg iirc needs lights on between lighting up time whether the speed limit is 30mph or not

Adam_Mc:
It doesn’t take much to quickly start your engine just before you get into your bed to fully charge the batteries so there won’t be a problem in the morning…

Unless you are going to run it for an hour or so that would be pointless, starting the engine will take more out of teh batteries than running it for a bit will replace.

Coffeeholic:

Adam_Mc:
It doesn’t take much to quickly start your engine just before you get into your bed to fully charge the batteries so there won’t be a problem in the morning…

Unless you are going to run it for an hour or so that would be pointless, starting the engine will take more out of teh batteries than running it for a bit will replace.

You must have rubbish batteries then…Our units take a couple of minutes to charge back up.

Adam_Mc:

Coffeeholic:

Adam_Mc:

Unless you are going to run it for an hour or so that would be pointless, starting the engine will take more out of the batteries than running it for a bit will replace.

You must have rubbish batteries then…Our units take a couple of minutes to charge back up.

Now you are back to talking out your arse if you think that.

Adam_Mc:

was it a rigid, unit, or unit coupled up to a trailer? not all trucks are LED’s. i wouldn’t feel confident about a truck starting in the morning that had side lights on all night, especially when its very cold like it has been. vehicles have reflectors at the back and people driving have lights on. whilst the copper was doing his job, he was letting the scum do theirs.

stevie

Or the volvo mechanics are talking out of their arses…and lets face it, I think they’d know more than you. I’ve only ever been told to leave the engine running because the batteries I’ve had on a unit once were knackered and needed to be replaced…but the guy said if the batteries are in tip top shape then they should only take a few minutes at the most.

A good idea would be for truck manufacturers to fit a parking light switch where 1bulb at the rear of trailer each side lit up, one on each trailer side, and one on front of unit each side, where all 4 corners and 2 sides are lit, parking regs are being obeyed and batteries are getting minimal drainage :bulb: Or have I just said something stupid and made a right ■■■ of myself :laughing: :laughing:

Adam_Mc:
Or the volvo mechanics are talking out of their arses…and lets face it, I think they’d know more than you. I’ve only ever been told to leave the engine running because the batteries I’ve had on a unit once were knackered and needed to be replaced…but the guy said if the batteries are in tip top shape then they should only take a few minutes at the most.

my electrician mate once told my mechanic mate he’d come up with basically free energy - eureka!! convinced mechanic mate starts telling me, it was to do with a starter motor connected via a belt to a alternator, if you then used another power source to get it going, then the alternator would power the starter that would turn the alternator to produce power and so on. now i know what you’re thinking adam, but really it wouldn’t work :laughing: :laughing:

i put him straight!!

stevie

Adam_Mc:
And for all of those who don’t like the copper because he done his job, I bet you’d all moan if he didn’t do his job and something happened! …as per usual though, truckers just make complaints about someone doing their job because they’re too lazy to do their own properly!

He’s still a jobsworth copper trying to get brownie points without using common sense. Just because something is illegal/prohibited doesn’t mean you should get done just for the sake of it.
I do my job properly and to the best of my ability, thou’ some jobsworth copper/VOSA would still find something to whinge about just because they wear a uniform and have the power to do so !

How much is the fine for not having the dog clip attached on the king pin?I know nought?

Adam_Mc:

Coffeeholic:

Adam_Mc:

Somehow I don’t think you have been parked on a frozen mountain pass where your life depends on having fully charged batteries. Your comparison with a tail lift is interesting as they also use a starter motor for the power, without the compression of a large diesel engine.

Cheap batteries are false economy. I would go for minimum 900amp CCA 155A/H for a heavy truck

toby1234abc:
How much is the fine for not having the dog clip attached on the king pin?I know nought?

£626.32.
and a public buming :laughing:

Was thinking i would be shot at dawn.

toby1234abc:
Was thinking i would be shot at dawn.

i think that’s a regional thing.

stevieboy308:

Adam_Mc:

my electrician mate once told my mechanic mate he’d come up with basically free energy - eureka!! convinced mechanic mate starts telling me, it was to do with a starter motor connected via a belt to a alternator, if you then used another power source to get it going, then the alternator would power the starter that would turn the alternator to produce power and so on. now i know what you’re thinking adam, but really it wouldn’t work :laughing: :laughing:

i put him straight!!

stevie

An interesting point. I have done this as an experiment or simply as a test to see if a dynamo or alternator is working, I reckon the problem is when you try to drive anything else from your “free energy”

I am forever looking for the answer to perpetual motion :laughing: The nearest I have got to it is in the pub, drink 4 cold pints and then ■■■■ 4 warm pints later that evening. Free energy!

It says ERF not RAF:

Adam_Mc:
And for all of those who don’t like the copper because he done his job, I bet you’d all moan if he didn’t do his job and something happened! …as per usual though, truckers just make complaints about someone doing their job because they’re too lazy to do their own properly!

He’s still a jobsworth copper trying to get brownie points without using common sense. Just because something is illegal/prohibited doesn’t mean you should get done just for the sake of it.
I do my job properly and to the best of my ability, thou’ some jobsworth copper/VOSA would still find something to whinge about just because they wear a uniform and have the power to do so !

I once got done for parking without lights on an ind est which was lit up like Blackpool, when I rang up the copper and questioned it,I got the cack about “families being wiped out running in the back of parked trucks with no lights” :unamused: , I told him that I should have realised that said ind est was a popular venue for families driving at night :open_mouth: :open_mouth: , he hung up on me. I later found out there had been a lot of truck crime there, and discouraging parking was an easier option than doing their job and actually policing the area, and at the same time they raised a bit of revenue from us. :unamused: