Street parking overnight

Hi all, could someone please remind me of the rules regarding street parking and staying there overnight?

Had a nightmare day thanks to the snow, took over six hours to get from the M25 into Orpington (about ten miles!) the roads are horrendous and jammed solid with stuck cars and trucks (switched on diff lock and weight transfer so no problems for me :grimacing: ). Got to the site only to find no one there, suprise suprise :unamused: :blush:

I have been promised ( :laughing: ) that there will be someone here in the mornng so I can deliver, I donā€™t really want to face all the traffic trying to get out again (it really is that bad) so Iā€™m planning on staying overnight.

Heres a pic, Itā€™s in a quiet residential area well off the main road, there are no houses on the side where Iā€™m parked, have checked and there are no parking restrictions Iā€™m aware of.

Just need to leave sidelights on. Other than that, parking restrictions same as cars, weight limits excepted.

Did i see you sleeping in a layby on the A12 this morning Grayham?

If you leave your side lights on it might not start

Arnā€™t you facing the wrong way?

i wouldnt say you needed side lights as there is plenty of street lighting there.

jessicas dad:
i wouldnt say you needed side lights as there is plenty of street lighting there.

I,d say you do need lights to be legal but the police tend to let it go nowadays . I got finded years ago stuck in snow and was
worried about starting but still got a ticket. as you are a ownerdriver why not make up a parking light with led lights
you could leave them on and use no powerā€¦a few quid and no finds and more legal.
John

grayham, if where you are parked is inside the london lorry ban zone then i would say you should,nt be parked up there at all overnight.

I doubt very much if the police or anyone else will be interested in you being parked there TBH I personally wouldnā€™t bother with your lights over night, as a side issue, it is against the law to park facing towards the flow of traffic at night, this is because you have no red reflectors fitted to the front of your vehicle, but again I donā€™t think the police will be bothered about that eitherā€¦ They will have enough work sorting out all the other problems snow and ice bring to worry about the likes of you.

The law says ā€œYou MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space.ā€
[Laws CUR reg 101 & RV LR reg 24]
At other times you SHOULD not park facing against the direction of the traffic flow.

Just to let you know the fine is Ā£30 for parking during the hours of darkness without displaying lights. I know this because I have been done for this.

Thanks for the replies, have turned round but havenā€™t put my side lights on, not too certain itā€™ll start in the morning if I do :blush: itā€™s pretty well lit and theres hardly any cars going by (probrably stuck on the main road) Got a permit for London but I donā€™t think Iā€™m in the ban zone anyway.

Better still the lady across the road came out and asked if I was alright and if I wanted a cup of tea :smiley:

Just hope Iā€™m not snowed in when i wake up :confused:

Ckay that wasnā€™t me mate I stayed over in Wincanton last night

Grayham:
Thanks for the replies, have turned round but havenā€™t put my side lights on, not too certain itā€™ll start in the morning if I do :blush: itā€™s pretty well lit and theres hardly any cars going by (probrably stuck on the main road) Got a permit for London but I donā€™t think Iā€™m in the ban zone anyway.

Better still the lady across the road came out and asked if I was alright and if I wanted a cup of tea :smiley:

Just hope Iā€™m not snowed in when i wake up :confused:

Ckay that wasnā€™t me mate I stayed over in Wincanton last night

Perhaps she will do you breakfast :laughing: :wink:

WTF are you still doing on here if the lady across the road has offered you a cup of teaā– ā– ?

FFS get in there! :wink: :wink: :wink:

DaiDap:
WTF are you still doing on here if the lady across the road has offered you a cup of teaā– ā– ?

Perhaps heā€™s a bit sheepish Dai :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hope your not parked on double yellow lines :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

theres a sign with a yellow box to the right of the picture which normally states " No waiting" so that should be checked before you stay there.

DaiDap:

Lol she had two kids in tow so I didnā€™t fancy it :laughing:

mickyblue:
theres a sign with a yellow box to the right of the picture which normally states " No waiting" so that should be checked before you stay there.

Checked that, says no parking between 8am - 10am and 2pm - 4pm, thereā€™s a school a few hundred yards down the road.

i would stay there and use the snow as the reason why youā€™ve parked there

Grayham:

DaiDap:

Lol she had two kids in tow so I didnā€™t fancy it :laughing:

Theyā€™ll be in bed soon. Go round about 9 and show her how your hiab works. :stuck_out_tongue:

as a bonus if the kids school is shut tomorrow they can give you a hand to tip in the morning and then if youā€™re snowed in pop back over for ā€œelevensesā€ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: