Owning/renting your vehicle...pro`s and cons?

You may laugh…I wouldn`t blame you as I only passed my cat C 4 days ago and have yet to EVEN GET IN an artic ! :blush: …but I intend to take this in the not too distant future and just wondering what the “for and against” would be in hiring or owning your own vehicle… :confused:

I can think of things that immediately spring to mind…maintenance costs etc and having to be pretty good at book keeping…but can someone tell me the most important things to consider…maybe regular work would be one such thing to consider.

I`d appreciate any replies…thanks… :slight_smile:

go on to the search link and put in starting up

as owner driver, also go on to the O/D SITE

and take a look at the old posts and read what

they mention,

Shame Rob_K cant comment…

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :grimacing:

Thanks…I hadnt seen the owner driver pages so Ill have a read up…it`s always good to hear points of view,for.against or otherwise…I have a friend who once had 5 trucks on the go but was “screwed” by his missus…(what money he thought was going in was soon going out ! ) and he tells me to just stay well clear !.. :unamused:

Get the work first before even thinking about buying, Much shorter post this time ! lol :slight_smile:

the first thing you need to think about is what work have you got/can you get to do with it - owning/hiring should come much later in the process :unamused:

ok I started with artic 6 months ago run my own truck. mine was an easier start as I had the truck and it was short wheel base and was a rigid. I got offered to pull a 3 car carrier. so I pulled off the tray and fitted a turn table. suits the setuup great 200 hp artic loaded around 12 tonne all up. 45’ trailer.
here in australia.

I worked freelance as a rigid you tend to get the difficult seaonal jobs with that. always chasing work and chasing money. with this the pay is ok and the work is pretty consistant. but you have to pay your commission to the company but they provided clients, monthly invoice paid on time etc. I own my truck out right its not new but is clean and is reliable and has a/c which is a must over here I work for better than wages but have all of the risk. The commission they take is the pure profit ie where the money is made. if you are starting out you need a bank roll and can’t be too much in debit. I would love to up grade to a nice truck. but I’ll keep going with my setup. as most of the people in my game do cause the work can go quiet some times and it helps if you not chasing truck payments etc.
It took 3 months till I could comfortably draw money out after set up costs. I still prefer to keep some as a back up just in case. the one benift it has given me is
learning the artic at my own pace reversing manouvering knowing if I stuffed up I had to pay. I really enjoy my work its good. I’m home most mights b4 7 and I leave home around 7:30. some days if it is quiet (early in the month) I’m home by 4 like today. in another 6 months I could walk in to any comany and have a good shot at a job. work out what industry you want to wok in ask to go out with some one for a day tor 2 to learn and see if you like it. also find the job b4 you get the truck. especially if you are going to buy one . also I dont think renting is a good idea this early on unless its for practice.

good luck its not an easy road.
make sure you have a reliable truck