Appeal to all your possible advice :-)

Hi all, let’s say I rent a lorry to work for a company, does that sound profitable or sort of easy IF get some sort of contract? Buying my own lorry, does this envolve alot more licences and permits, or its just mainly insurance it would be a killer? I thought about an 18t with tail lift/ curtain sider, or a 7.5t recovery truck. any advice please? :slight_smile:

From what I’ve read its and expensive so I hope you got deep deep pockets, If you don’t get the answers here, try the owners / operators forum but its not as straight forward as it looks.
Firstly you need to decide if your doing haulage or recovery, big difference as it determines what type of operators O licence you apply to and rules that apply to you, even before that you need to have or employ someone with a operator CPC ( traffic manager ) and show that the business has money i.e. financial back ground…think I saw a thread stating 11K approx…in a business account, proof you have somewhere to park your vehicle, then you got insurances, goods in transit, public liability, vehicle insurance, vehicle running costs weekly, road tax, fuel, backup maintenance costs, and you’ll find that if your hunting down contracts they prefer you have vehicle, something smart and under a certain age so its not as easy as it looks

Thanks swampey! Yep seems alot more stuff envolved than just renting a motor many jump straight to business :-/

If it was that easy and cheap to do, then you’ll find a lot of us doing it… but unfortunately it is costly but have a look at the owner operator thread, give it a few years see where you are
It not something to rush you need to have stuff in place before hunting down contracts…plus you need a wide circle of friends who have ya back… no what I mean