Overtaken by Tesco

There i was cruising along at 90kph on the M25 in the early hours going past Heathrow & get overtaken by a Tesco Merc artic, he must of been doing about 58 since when did they have the brick surgically removed from under the go pedal??

There are a few that do 56, had one overtake me before and we’re mostly capped at 54.

When a driver is being paid upwards of £38,000+ and is hourly paid, to drive around on the limiter would be very stupid indeed would it not.

You drive at speed when it suits you to do so, the rest of the time you take you’re time.

I heard a story a while back that Merc warned them not to toddle along at 50mph cos it doesn’t do the DPF any good. Not sure how true it is though.
I pulled out into lane 2 to let a Tesco truck on to the M8 at Livingston last year. Thought I’d be past him and back into lane 1 in no time. Not so! Got along side him then noticed he’s actually starting to go faster than me. Had to drop back in behind him. First time I’ve encountered that with a Tesco truck before. It was a Merc so maybe there is some truth in what I heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damoq:
I heard a story a while back that Merc warned them not to toddle along at 50mph cos it doesn’t do the DPF any good. Not sure how true it is though.
I pulled out into lane 2 to let a Tesco truck on to the M8 at Livingston last year. Thought I’d be past him and back into lane 1 in no time. Not so! Got along side him then noticed he’s actually starting to go faster than me. Had to drop back in behind him. First time I’ve encountered that with a Tesco truck before. It was a Merc so maybe there is some truth in what I heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I heard from a Maritime driver that the boss of said company had a falling out with Scania over the 52mph restrictions. According to him, Maritime would not be getting any new Scania’s. If this is happening at a large company that caps speed then I wouldn’t put it past Merc telling Tesco similar things.

mike68:
When a driver is being paid upwards of £38,000+ and is hourly paid, to drive around on the limiter would be very stupid indeed would it not.

You drive at speed when it suits you to do so, the rest of the time you take you’re time.

Quite right. But try telling that to the ‘crack on’ bell-ends.

Had an assessment a Tesco on Tuesday, planted the foot down up the A34 expecting it to stop at 50 but it pushed on through to 56, was a little surprised :open_mouth: The Driver Trainer told me that Merc have told Tesco that 53mph is actually the sweet spot for fuel economy rather than 50 and having the extra grunt to get up to 56mph is more efficient for pulling up long gradients. All of them are being up speeded as they go through their next service or MOT apparently :slight_smile:

What were you driving a milk float ■■?

Excuse my ignorance but what is the DPF?

Exhaust filter

GORDON 50:
Excuse my ignorance but what is the DPF?

Diesel Particle Filter.

(You can use Google can’t you? :wink:)

Basically it’s a filter that gets hot and burns of (or not) particles before they exit the exhaust.
You might see on some gates of ADR or volatile premises, signs telling you to turn them off before entering…

Looking at the way so many apparent “full timers” drive (Maritime, TNT, RM, Containers, Tippers et al) I can only conclude that they are on this massive salary AND “Job and Knock”.

FFS. I routinely get undertaken by artics on the hard shoulder, when I slow down to take a slip road bend FFS. Isn’t there anyone else alive who actually obeys those signs that say “sharp bend 30mph”■■? :open_mouth:

TheNewBoy:
There i was cruising along at 90kph on the M25 in the early hours going past Heathrow & get overtaken by a Tesco Merc artic, he must of been doing about 58 since when did they have the brick surgically removed from under the go pedal??

None go 58mph as far as I’m aware, a couple of the old 63 reg Stobart Axors that are now at Reading do 56mph, 65 & 66 reg units are set to 52.8 mph and anything 64 reg and older is set to 50mph.

We’ve just had some 450bhp units delivered, 50bhp more makes a massive difference and the increase in MPG figures is massive, had 12.9 mpg yesterday and wouldn’t never get near that in a 400bhp unit on same trip.

mike68:

This is a major problem for employers having drivers which are hourly paid. With the attitude of ‘taking your time’ it just ends up with less being done while costing the employer more.
We work on pay per load basis, drivers earn more and far more tonnage shifted…

Fuzrat:
Had an assessment a Tesco on Tuesday, planted the foot down up the A34 expecting it to stop at 50 but it pushed on through to 56, was a little surprised :open_mouth: The Driver Trainer told me that Merc have told Tesco that 53mph is actually the sweet spot for fuel economy rather than 50 and having the extra grunt to get up to 56mph is more efficient for pulling up long gradients. All of them are being up speeded as they go through their next service or MOT apparently :slight_smile:

^
This
Mines at peak economy and torque with Volvos long haul gearing at 100kph, less than this and fuel consumption rises…

Thing with the supermarkets with lowered powered trucks is that probably 50% of there store deliveries are within 90 mins of the rdc’s? perhaps the shorter journeys with slightly more frequent gear changes evens itself out economy wise with a higher powered truck on the longer runs. Unless they spec slightly higher powered trucks for the longer store runs thus giving better economy.

AndrewG:

mike68:

This is a major problem for employers having drivers which are hourly paid. With the attitude of ‘taking your time’ it just ends up with less being done while costing the employer more.

I work for Tesco and I see plenty of drivers (warburtons, kingsmill, P&H drivers) who are salary paid and day in day out they are charging about like headless chickens, they are always rushing, I don’t rush and I prefer being hourly paid so I get paid for what I do rather than rush around all day every day looking to get finished asap, it can’t be good for they’re health rushing and stressing every day.

AndrewG:

mike68:

Ok lets clarify, “taking my time” means sticking to speed limits, being considerate of other road users, not driving 3 feet from the back of cars through the road works and generally not getting worked up over nothing.

selby you know why p&h etc rush around they have more drops in a day than we do in a week.
I’ve excelled myself this week and done 7 stores.

I bet maritime drivers love the thrill of overtaking a Tesco wagon.