Speed Limiters

Working on night trunk for DBC in Chelmsford, going to Newmarket then to Thatcham then back to Chelmsford, got a 56 plate Axor limited to 56mph, just wondered what your trucks limited to!!
Reason i ask is every night on M4 / M25 i am constantly overtaken by newer reg trucks from many big operators who seem to be flying past me @ 65mph+ just wondered how, when all newer trucks are supposed to be limited, even have a Tesco truck overtake me on the M4 everynight!! :open_mouth:

Iā€™m the same in a restricted 7.5t consantly have artics (new english) going past me.

a tesco truck over-taking you? you been on the magic mushrooms?

i hover around 54/55/56 mph on hills i get pushed to 60 but thats about it - i suppose each company is different but it is surprising you seen a tesco break its 50 rule - the driver will get his nuts booted for that heard they are really strict.

do you have a sat nav?

if you do getr it to display your speed and see what you are actually doing.

most i drive are between 52 and about 57. had one that went over but nearly everything else was broken on it as well as the limiter

merc0447:

i hover around 54/55/56 mph on hills i get pushed to 60 but thats about it - i suppose each company is different but it is surprising you seen a tesco break its 50 rule - the driver will get his nuts booted for that heard they are really strict.

He must be looking at the Kilometres :smiley:

Someone doing 52mph getting passed by someone doing even 57mph will go past them like a rocket as if they are standing still.

Truck i was driving for awhile was doing about 59mph maybe 60mph and it went past most things on the M6 as if they were standing still, and kept speed with most other NI trucks apart from a few. A coach would still go past me. But others would accuse me of doing 60-70mph.

New trucks rare to be limited anywhere near 56-57mph more like 54mph, unless its a Iveco Stralis which seem to come out the factory at legal max. Most MANā€™s ive driven tend to be doing 54mph new, Some Volvos seem to be about 55-56mph.

Add in to that tyre ware and prob find you ainā€™t doing 56mph more like 52mph and the trucks passing you are doing 56mph.

Alot of the NI flyers seem to be getting turned down just now, mainly because of fuel consumption drove one truck and it would do 65mph and it really seemed really fast but fuel consumption was down to 5mpg compared to about 9mpg sitting at 58mph.

My wagon is limited to 89kph by the dash, 88kph by GPS. Before the tacho blew out, it still showed 89kph on the displays, but only did about 84/85kph by GPS (Garmin, dash mounted) New tacho, and recalibration, and itā€™s close enough for me not to complain.
You will find that a lot depends on the calibration. Taking a 90kph setting on the limiter, some will actually be doing as low as the 85 mine used to, right up to 91 or 92 kph.
The old cheat was to have it calibrated with low-profiles or seriously worn tyres, and to run with taller tyres so you got a bit extra out of each turn of the wheels. No idea if it works these days tho.

Tacho mechanics here will wind them up as far as 89.9kph, but no further. (tho ā€œmy mate tells meā€ this 105 can do 105kph without leaving the green zone on the revsā€¦ or so he heard anyway :blush: :blush: :blush: )
German speed limit for LKW/HGV is allegedly 85kph, but you wonā€™t find more than half the trucks on the autobahns doing less than 87kph on the flat, even German ones. 90% of long distance haulers over here go for as near to 90kph as they can get, very few plump for an 85k limiter in my experience.

Mineā€™s a Volvo FM and does 54 to 56 on the satnav. It does seem to go a bit faster than most though 'cos I do alot of overtaking! (Must be my superior status as a transporter driver, right up there at the top of the trucking food chain :wink:).

To be honest, it can be a pain in the arse doing 2 mph faster than most and I often find myself setting the cruise control at whatever everyone else is doingā€¦itā€™s more relaxing! (I never set it at same speed as a Tesco wagon thoughā€¦I have places to be!)

Ours are limited to 56 but they ask you to do around 52/53mph. Today I was on the M180 and there was the police camera van, all was well as I was doing 53mph according to the odometer - or so I thought. Turns out it would seem that it is out by about 2mph or so as the road relay - when it started to work - was on 56mph but the odometer was only on about 53 and would not go any higher! :question: Time will tell as I had another run to Leeds along Kirkstall road and there are afew cameras on there tooā€¦ :confused:

Mine is limited to 55.9 but i seem to pass everything except the irish.

scotty1972:
Mine is limited to 55.9 but i seem to pass everything except the irish.

Thatā€™s because neither Northern Ireland or the Republc ratified eu Speed Limiter treaty until 2006, thirteen years after the rest of the eu adopted it.

Irish trucks registered earlier than 2006 are not fitted with speed limiters, and are not required to be.

Iā€™ve already noticed that as older Irish trucks are replaced, the ā€œWacky Racesā€ out of Pembroke Dock seem to have slowed down.

as far as i know irish trucks over 7.5t have been fitted with limiters since 1988.

My 08 Scania seems to do 55mph according to dash and sat navā€¦

If these guys are flying past you obviously theres no limiter (fuse is out) or they have there motors turned up or are running illegalā€¦

paddy2008:
as far as i know irish trucks over 7.5t have been fitted with limiters since 1988.

What to? 90mph? :confused:

Due to having given away our national rights to Europe and now being simply an EU ā€˜Member Stateā€™, I understand that we are bound to being limited to 85kph - not 56mph having relinquished our imperial status to Europe years ago.

(Meanwhile, achtung & zut alors, etc ā€¦letā€™s not kid ourselves weā€™re British. The Scotā€™s, Welsh and N. Irish are vaguely more fortunate to have their national identity supported through their devolution from toothless London - but if the mighty but dull Brussels says we will calibrate our lorries to kph ā€¦then who are we to argue?).

its a myth to think ALL trucks are limited exactly the same as each other, some are, yes, but theres always some lorrys that are faster than others, i mean look at the idiots that spend quarter of an hour overtaking each other on the motorway, whats the point of that?

why are coaches faster than trucks? surely with people on board, its more of a risk to be going faster?

Giblsa:
do you have a sat nav?

if you do get it to display your speed and see what you are actually doing.

most i drive are between 52 and about 57. had one that went over but nearly everything else was broken on it as well as the limiter

The Sat/nav is a very inaccurate way of measuring your speedā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

You get lots of inaccuracies , is that a word :laughing:

Ours Volvos have been limited to an alleged 54mph 85 kph to save fuel :unamused:
In reality they are doing anywhere between 50-51 mph ā€¦
Our MANS have been limited to 85 kph , they go quicker than the volvo and easily overtake them and are probably doing the 54mph they are set at.

One hire truck we had a while back read 90 kph , in reality it was touching nearly 60 mph , flyer :laughing: :laughing:

Every night always on the M4 around 10pm / 10.45, same Tesco truck flys past me, heading London bound between jct 12 - jct 8, i know its not an optical illusion :open_mouth:
I have used the sat nav & had a mate drive alongside in a car when iā€™m flat out and they all say i was doing 56mph, I have seen TNT, Eddies, Irlams, DHL and quite a few others fly past me at night, suppose iā€™ll just poodle along and not worry about it :unamused: