Out of interest

Hi guys and gals,

I’m just curious as to whether any drivers who have passed their test in an automatic has had to jump into a manual and found it to be a major issue?

The reason I ask is a friend of mine is wondering whether to specify a manual for their training.

Many thanks

Do cat C in a manual, and C+E in either would be my suggestion as having some knowledge of a manual lorry box is beneficial

TJ82:
Do cat C in a manual, and C+E in either would be my suggestion as having some knowledge of a manual lorry box is beneficial

Hi mate,

That’s not bad advice, my. Gut reaction was to suggest using manual for both, but I think that’s partially down to my own preferences.

Thanks for your input :smiley:

I personally went manual for C and automatic for CE. I found it made it that I didn’t have to think about changing gears while doing CE and be able to concentrate on controlling the vehicle while training. Since then I have used both for CE and glad I passed C using manual.

I passed my Cat C test in an auto and jumped into a manual at my first C job.Took a couple of days to get a good feel for the box and i’ve never looked back since.I drive a mixture of autos and manuals at my current job and much prefer to drive a manual now.

Cheers for the feedback guys. It helps to have broader view as I passed both in a manual.

I took both tests in manuals by deliberate choice, as I wanted to make sure I was up to the challenge. I haven’t driven manuals since, always automatics. I miss the challenge of the manual box in a way, but autos do make life a little easier (albeit frustrating at times).

ORC:
I took both tests in manuals by deliberate choice, as I wanted to make sure I was up to the challenge. I haven’t driven manuals since, always automatics. I miss the challenge of the manual box in a way, but autos do make life a little easier (albeit frustrating at times).

I was the same mate, it just made more sense in my own mind to learn in a manual.

I now drive a mixture of both manual and automatic gearboxes in both artics and rigids, and I have to say I’m far happier with a clutch, particularly with a splitter. But each to their own.