C+E training - W&D v Artic / Manual v Auto?

Passed my Cat C today and while I’ve got the learning bug, I’m thinking ahead to C+E training, but I have a couple of questions…

I’d love to go back to the place I did Cat C with, but they only have Wagon & Drag for C+E and I’ve read on here that it would be best to learn in an artic as that’s what the vast majority of jobs are for. However, I’ve heard that W&D is easier to pass with.

Plus, should I learn in a manual for future job opportunities, or would I be ok learning on an auto box? I don’t really know what’s out there in the real artic driving world in terms of gearbox types

So, do I go to the place I like (and feel oddly loyal to) and learn/pass in W&D or shop around for Artic training? And which box would you recommend?

Was thinking of a residential course at Peter Smythe if/when I can afford it. Thoughts?
Thanks.

Hiya congratulations on the pass well done.
As for your class 1 I would take it in a W+D auto get your pass then take a days conversion to an artic without the pressure of a test over your head.
Can’t say if the w+d is easier to drive as never driven one.

Jeff.

Cupcake Well done lass

Wagon and drag is very easy to pass, just as long as the equipment is in good working order… so why no give yourself a bit of a challenge and learn to drive an artic, more of them on the roads than wagon and drags…

Manual vs auto… well I got strong opinions about his subject, don’t believe that its right that someone to take a test in an auto then given rights to drive a manual, shouldn’t be allowed…and if you take the easy routes it either means you gonna have to spend more money in the lone term on additional training…

As far as training companies go, I say shop about a bit locally if your looking someone with artics…seeing as your pretty near to Surrey … I went down the route of going to Zenith @ lee on solent

Hi cup,
Whats your confidence level like? Some people just want to get the CE as easy and cheap as poss,which is understandable.

However,if you pass in a small auto W+D,you may get a bit daunted if your first job involves a full-size cab 44 tonne artic. Some on here have done that and are going to have a couple of hours in an artic after passing to give them a bit of a head start.

Based on my experience over the last couple of weeks on CE,i am very pleased I passed in a full-size manual artic as the company that have given me a job have manual SCANIAS and auto DAF XF’s.

Also the reversing in an artic is something which a lot of people struggle with. It can be a bit intimidating in a tight yard with people watching you.

eagerbeaver:
Hi cup,
Whats your confidence level like? Some people just want to get the CE as easy and cheap as poss,which is understandable.

However,if you pass in a small auto W+D,you may get a bit daunted if your first job involves a full-size cab 44 tonne artic. Some on here have done that and are going to have a couple of hours in an artic after passing to give them a bit of a head start.

Based on my experience over the last couple of weeks on CE,i am very pleased I passed in a full-size manual artic as the company that have given me a job have manual SCANIAS and auto DAF XF’s.

Also the reversing in an artic is something which a lot of people struggle with. It can be a bit intimidating in a tight yard with people watching you.

My sentiments exactly…thus why I champion the artic and manual training with tests, simple fact is the majority of C&E class vehicles on the road are artic, fact… pretty much opens every door :grimacing:

:smiley: :smiley:

Make CE as easy as poss for yourself so how about doing two assessments - W&D + Artic

congrats on passing c i had that feeling a few weeks ago and in the same predicament as you ware with W+D vs artic where i done my C the instructor was brilliant but they dont have a artic so been into Data academy today and going for it in a artic i think after my assessment on Tuesday i see the training as not just to pass the test but to give me half a chance when i get out there rather drive something the largest i can with a instructor next to me for the first time!

Congrats on passing C Cup!
What box did u use for C? I did my on an 18t Scania Manual 4/4 a few weeks ago and now planning to do my CE on Artic, but since I have experience the manual already, I feel am ready for whatever box is gonna get thrown at me for CE as long it is gonna be artic.

Glad I did both my C and CE in a manual even if it was a daf lol,

One thing you will find reversing artics get it in the bay in 1 no one sees get it wrong and the whole yards watching lol,even when the yards got miles of room like ours :grimacing:

eagerbeaver:
Hi cup,

Confidence is pretty high at the moment since I passed Cat C with only 4 minors after just 12 hours driving time! :sunglasses:

I’m thinking artic is the way to go as I’d rather learn (and pass) in what I’m more likely to be thrown into for my first Class 1 job. And after managing with that dreadful MAN “slap-over” gearbox on my Class 2 then I’m not feeling daunted by a manual gearbox on an artic right now. I might feel differently when I come across it, but hey, it’s no fun if it’s not a challenge!
:smiley:

thanks for the advice

cupcake1973:
I’m thinking artic is the way to go as I’d rather learn (and pass) in what I’m more likely to be thrown into for my first Class 1 job. And after managing with that dreadful MAN “slap-over” gearbox on my Class 2 then I’m not feeling daunted by a manual gearbox on an artic right now. I might feel differently when I come across it, but hey, it’s no fun if it’s not a challenge!

No point in learning on a W&D auto, then applying for jobs that probably only run artics, assessment drive would be interesting

But I like your train of thought on this :grimacing:

Congrats on passing, I haven’t even booked mine yet but leaning more towards it.

Slight change of topic, I have seen women driving tipper trucks but I’ve never seen a woman driving an artic, by no means is this an attempt to poke fun at women drivers btw just something I’ve not yet seen.

Will leave the motorway as soon as I do.

congrats on your pass. If i were you i’d learn in an artic as this is what you will most likely be driving when you pass. The vast majority of class 1 work is tractor and trailer although working at night as i do you do see a reasonable amount of W&D out there but I think it’s better to give yourself (in my opinion) a push in the right direction and opt for artic. As for auto/manual,i’ve not driven a manual for about 7 years now and taking your artic in an auto is just one thing less to think/worry about come test day. What ever route you decide to go,i wish you the very best of luck both now and in the future.

Plenty lady artic drivers mate.

Ghiabox:
Congrats on passing, I haven’t even booked mine yet but leaning more towards it.

Slight change of topic, I have seen women driving tipper trucks but I’ve never seen a woman driving an artic, by no means is this an attempt to poke fun at women drivers btw just something I’ve not yet seen.

Will leave the motorway as soon as I do.

As Beaver said plenty of girls driving artics ■■■■ good too seen em knock spots off the lads reversing as well and a darn sight prettier too lol

Are we missing a picture or something ?

No, I think he was trying to ramp up the suspense!

Seen plenty of lady Arctic drivers around my way. And bus drivers come to that.

If you do consider us you will have a choice of manual w+d, auto w+d and auto full size artic.

It’s all down to how you feel about it. Without a doubt, the easy way is auto w+d followed by the conversion course to artic. But many folks are perfectly comfortable going straight to artic.

To each their own.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You desperate for the work Mr Smythe…Plenty of quality training companies in the south

What’s to consider…let us think about this for one moment… travel over 160 miles, stay at a travel lodge for 4 nights BB plus the additional expenditure of evening meals…pay for your course… and travel 160 miles back pass or fail… Wonder what Cupcake thinks about spending possibly an additional £300

In the words of Spock…Not Logical