Semi-Auto vs Manual

Hi,

Okay spoken to different people and different versions of it told.
Asked DVLA and DVSA and both need it checked out further for understanding.

Okay if I passed my test in a Semi-Automatic truck for CE but held a Manual Car and C Licence.

Would I then have a Restriction of my CE licence or not? - Just looking at possibly if I pass my cat C to sit my CE in a semi-automatic

it doesnt matter anymore, you can pass c and c+e in fully auto and still get a full manual license

MancunianAndy:
it doesnt matter anymore, you can pass c and c+e in fully auto and still get a full manual license

Funny you say that as that was my understanding but DVSA and DVLA kept saying when I said that ‘We need get Support Teams to answer that call back tomorrow before 4.30pm’

100% you can, I’m sure some of the more experienced guys will chime in, but I was at a training school today and can confirm it 100%

Probably a desk jockey with no clue lol

Yes - auto test and get manual licence.

The bods you speak to on the phones are not the experts and rarely know the answers.

MancunianAndy:

the only thing I would add is that you have to have passed your car test in a manual, I know nearly all do but just something to note

Why use a semi auto when you can have a full auto with the same result?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Why use a semi auto when you can have a full auto with the same result?

Very true!!! Examiner I asked and he explained as long I got a manual b (Car) licence I gain a Unrestricted CE or C Licence, He said same as you ‘Make your test easy and do it in automatic, less to stress about’

Took mine in a full auto, funny enough they didnt have a manual since the rule change

Very true, we have only one manual truck left for ‘having a go with’ after the test, everyone passes on a automatic with our company. I’m not here to say if it’s right or wrong as we just offer what customers demand but since only using auto trucks our job is so easy and on category C we hardly get any fails, why training schools still use manual trucks is very strange - it’s not exactly offering the best service possible to their customers. They must just not want to invest their profits I guess, would rather spend it on other purchases perhaps.

Our Volvo trucks have I-shift gearboxes, I took a customer out on their own vehicle recently, a brand new Mercedes artic, was amazed how bad it was at setting off from a stop, the delay after depressing the accelerator was 2-4 seconds before it began to move. Our Volvos are almost instant to engage gear and move away, so do a few assessments to choose your provider. Find out what truck you will use for your test and have a go in a few different ones to compare, ours are 2014 plate so they drive like new. Competent drivers can work around this delay in setting off by keeping the vehicle moving, planning well ahead and if all else fails hold it on the secondary brake while depressing the accelerator slightly - then release the secondary brake and your off to a flying start, but it’s not exactly clutch friendly using that technique!

Tockwith Training:
Very true, we have only one manual truck left for ‘having a go with’ after the test, everyone passes on a automatic with our company. I’m not here to say if it’s right or wrong as we just offer what customers demand but since only using auto trucks our job is so easy and on category C we hardly get any fails, why training schools still use manual trucks is very strange - it’s not exactly offering the best service possible to their customers. They must just not want to invest their profits I guess, would rather spend it on other purchases perhaps.

Our Volvo trucks have I-shift gearboxes, I took a customer out on their own vehicle recently, a brand new Mercedes artic, was amazed how bad it was at setting off from a stop, the delay after depressing the accelerator was 2-4 seconds before it began to move. Our Volvos are almost instant to engage gear and move away, so do a few assessments to choose your provider. Find out what truck you will use for your test and have a go in a few different ones to compare, ours are 2014 plate so they drive like new. Competent drivers can work around this delay in setting off by keeping the vehicle moving, planning well ahead and if all else fails hold it on the secondary brake while depressing the accelerator slightly - then release the secondary brake and your off to a flying start, but it’s not exactly clutch sefriendly using that technique!

So you admit there is a problem with the autos connected to the delay issue. Since the new rules came in I think I’ve only had a couple of customers who have gone else where because they wanted to train on a auto.

Maybe in time I may upgrade to a CE auto but a present I’m quite happy to train in manuals as demand is stil there.

Paul

elmet training:

Tockwith Training:

Our Volvo trucks have I-shift gearboxes, I took a customer out on their own vehicle recently, a brand new Mercedes artic, was amazed how bad it was at setting off from a stop, the delay after depressing the accelerator was 2-4 seconds before it began to move. Our Volvos are almost instant to engage gear and move away, so do a few assessments to choose your provider. Find out what truck you will use for your test and have a go in a few different ones to compare, ours are 2014 plate so they drive like new. Competent drivers can work around this delay in setting off by keeping the vehicle moving, planning well ahead and if all else fails hold it on the secondary brake while depressing the accelerator slightly - then release the secondary brake and your off to a flying start, but it’s not exactly clutch sefriendly using that technique!

So you admit there is a problem with the autos connected to the delay issue. Since the new rules came in I think I’ve only had a couple of customers who have gone else where because they wanted to train on a auto.

Maybe in time I may upgrade to a CE auto but a present I’m quite happy to train in manuals as demand is stil there.

Paul

I actually looking at doing my training with a company who got a semi-automatic.

Scania Opticruise?

Peter Smythe:
Scania Opticruise?

Yeah that it? how good is it?? Company I currently works for has Scania so sort make sense to try use same truck as them!

Not my idea of fun. Use the clutch to set off and stop but it changes gear on it’s own. Problems come when you forget to declutch when stopping and it stalls.

I’ve used one for a company but I’m not in a rush to do it again.

Peter Smythe:
Not my idea of fun. Use the clutch to set off and stop but it changes gear on it’s own. Problems come when you forget to declutch when stopping and it stalls.

Awww for me I drove automatic car for couple days and I kept wanting to touch a Clutch when breaking and it was just force of habbit! \What if I sat my test in a fully automatic, Would I still get full manual licence?

ScottishChris:

Peter Smythe:

Awww for me I drove automatic car for couple days and I kept wanting to touch a Clutch when breaking and it was just force of habbit! \What if I sat my test in a fully automatic, Would I still get full manual licence?

If you have a manual car licence, then yes! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

ScottishChris:

Peter Smythe:

If you have a manual car licence, then yes! :smiley:

Hmmmm I wonder if any local training companies in Central Scotland are fully automatic trucks!

I think Richies use fully auto trucks, they are fairly Central in Scotland. The early 3 pedal Scania Opticruise wasn’t great, but the newer two pedal fully auto versions are better. Driven quite a few of them and they are typical Scania to be honest, bit big, slow and too much of a gaffers wagon for driver training, from a drivers perspective Scania’s lack feel/feedback. Great trucks once you have passed the test, nice comfortable cab, plenty of space and low noise.

ScottishChris:

Peter Smythe:
Scania Opticruise?

Yeah that it? how good is it?? Company I currently works for has Scania so sort make sense to try use same truck as them!

I understand your desire to do the training in a relevant vehicle. I chose a full length artic over w&d for that reason too.
But honestly, I can’t quite reconcile the middle ground on the gearbox debate. The polarised views are:
A - if you learn in a manual you are slightly more prepared for a greater range of trucks afterwards.
and
B - why make the test harder that it needs to be, so do it in an auto, and figure other gearboxes out later as you need to

I accept both of those views, but struggle to understand why you would go for the pain and misery of an exotic semi auto or 3 pedal auto truck as (for me at least) they require more brain power than a normal manual! The Opticruise is horrible and unintuitive to get used to, and I certainly wouldn’t want to do a test in one. There’s also a Merc variant where you set the gear with a paddle up/down thing and get the gear when you dip the clutch (unless you don’t manage to do it within about 3 seconds when it helpfully cancels the change for you) Equally unintuitive!

The reality is that once you pass you will find a way to drive anything within 30 minutes of being left alone with it. So to be frank, I’d either take the view that you want an easy test, and get the hang of the opticruise when you are being paid to do it, or just learn in a manual if you want to have slightly more experience to draw on. Personally I’d steer well clear of the weird and wonderful creations in the middle! Maybe the simple answer is to do an assessment before you book and see how you feel about it having tried it. All the best for your training!