C-Course + test in an Auto?

Ive heard i can do my C-licence (Class 2) test in an auto, I drive 3.5T Merc Sprinter auto’s for a living at the moment and this sounds like a good choice to me.

Any thoughts on this ?

BJ

If you have a manual car license then you can do your test in either and still get full entitlement. I did my test in a auto, it made the driving part easier as I could focus all of my attention on the road.

Do it, you know it makes sense. I’m sure there will umpteen oportunities to practice manual in another life :smiley:

It’s been previously discussed at length. Clearly it’s easier with auto. The argument is that you may be faced with a manual in the “real world”. Yes, perfectly possible. But maybe a completely different manual to one that you may have trained on. So maybe not much further forward? Remember that, up to 2005, the vast majority of folks learned on a straight 5 or 6 speed box. And they managed without undue stress. No-one ever taught me to use a range change, splitter, twin splitter etc etc and I’ve never been stuck.

A large haulier recently congratulated us on keeping up to date with current trends and fails to understand why anyone would want the added stress of a manual.

Having said all that, we continue to offer both manual and auto. Choice is key.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I passed my c test yesterday in a manual and I must admit I struggled . My problem was I hadn’t driven a manual box for 12 years and it was hard , so I will def b doing my c+e in an auto , and I think in the real world if u come across a manual you’ll manage :: without the stress of a dsa examiner sitting next to u

Thanks again for all the advise guys, theory on the 22nd so time to crack on! :stuck_out_tongue:

jeffeddie:
I passed my c test yesterday in a manual and I must admit I struggled . My problem was I hadn’t driven a manual box for 12 years and it was hard , so I will def b doing my c+e in an auto , and I think in the real world if u come across a manual you’ll manage :: without the stress of a dsa examiner sitting next to u

Well done jeffeddie , been waiting on your other post to see how you got on
"think ive made a big mistake "

jeffeddie:

And you can get away with things like coasting up to roundabouts in neutral.