Out dated tacho rules

Who sat down and wrote the book,to tell us when to stop,when to sleep,in a modern day world,the rules are old and need to change,we have factories open 24 hours.You can be 10 minutes from a customer,but have to book off for a 9 or 11,and with the WTD,the pay for european drivers has dropped,as need 45 hours off,and most firms dont or wont pay for you to sit in the sun in a foreign truck stop,when the wheels are stopped,they are not earning.
Would a proposal of binning the 24 hour system,drive for 12 hours,with the breaks included,and a 12 hour off,to bin the 9 and 11 off for rest.And scrap the 24 hour weekly rest,if you live an hour or so from base,by the time you get home to feed the dog,have a fight with the mrs,spend time with the ankle biters,sleep,eat,wash,the counter on the 24 hours is quickly eaten in to,there is no quality time.
What used to annoy me was when a boss would say,what time did you finish,lets say it was 2 am,on your last shift,then he would say,ok,you can start at 2 am,24 hours later,what a bummer that was,while he is sat at home counting the money,while you are doing a nightshift to get to Dover for the first sailing.

"You can please most of the drivers some of the time. Some of the drivers most of the time. but none of the drivers all of the time.

You can do all the things you want to do under the current rules, no need to change them and that way people who are happy with a 9 or 24 can do them and those who aren’t can choose not to.

TBH i have not thought through the hours above,thinking aloud,and get some ideas going.
There a lot of drivers falling foul of the access to a bunk/couchette on short ferry crossings,with ref to making a short ferry trip part of your daily rest,i heard the Belgians and the Gendarmes are clued up on the ferry rest issue.

Wheel Nut:
"You can please most of the drivers some of the time. Some of the drivers most of the time. but none of the drivers all of the time.

Think this sums it up. Nothing wrong with the rules as far as i’m concerned. You’ve just got to know
how to use them.

toby1234abc:
Who sat down and wrote the book,to tell us when to stop,when to sleep,in a modern day world,the rules are old and need to change,we have factories open 24 hours.You can be 10 minutes from a customer,but have to book off for a 9 or 11,and with the WTD,the pay for european drivers has dropped,as need 45 hours off,and most firms dont or wont pay for you to sit in the sun in a foreign truck stop,when the wheels are stopped,they are not earning.
Would a proposal of binning the 24 hour system,drive for 12 hours,with the breaks included,and a 12 hour off,to bin the 9 and 11 off for rest.And scrap the 24 hour weekly rest,if you live an hour or so from base,by the time you get home to feed the dog,have a fight with the mrs,spend time with the ankle biters,sleep,eat,wash,the counter on the 24 hours is quickly eaten in to,there is no quality time.
What used to annoy me was when a boss would say,what time did you finish,lets say it was 2 am,on your last shift,then he would say,ok,you can start at 2 am,24 hours later,what a bummer that was,while he is sat at home counting the money,while you are doing a nightshift to get to Dover for the first sailing.

I applied now for 4On/4Off
First no Problem with 48 Hour regulation,and i don’t have tp pay any Hour back with seating unpaid at Home
second,The Lorry runs 7 day a week if Company has the Work for
and third.I have my day’s off,and could do the one or other Day Overtime or for an agency a short Shift with lots of POA,like tesco,Asda or somethings.
He just has to find a second who is willing to share the Lorry

toby1234abc:
TBH i have not thought through the hours above,thinking aloud,and get some ideas going.
There a lot of drivers falling foul of the access to a bunk/couchette on short ferry crossings,with ref to making a short ferry trip part of your daily rest,i heard the Belgians and the Gendarmes are clued up on the ferry rest issue.

Of course you cannot use the bunk couchette thing because there are not any on the short sea crossings. Dover Zeebrugge had cabins, showers and a proper restaurant. Dover Calais is 90 minutes to 2 hours max. So you do not have to be clued up, just able to see that the break was less than 2 hours.

But as you say! “I have not thought through the hours above”

I was getting at the point that some drivers arrive at Dover at the end of a 15 hour shift,book off,to make the short trip part of the daily rest,when no bunks are available,which would land you in trouble with the hours,and then parking up in the Calais area.

toby1234abc:
I was getting at the point that some drivers arrive at Dover at the end of a 15 hour shift,book off,to make the short trip part of the daily rest,when no bunks are available,which would land you in trouble with the hours,and then parking up in the Calais area.

At the end of a 15 hour shift it matters not what crossing you are using or whether a bunk or couchette is available because you cannot use the interrupted rest option after doing a shift of that length. The most you can really do when you are going to be interrupting your rest period is about 12.5 hours, maybe less if you are going to have two interruptions.

15 hour shift + 11 hours rest + 30 minutes interruption = 26.5 hours and I don’t know how many hours are in a day in your world but here it is 24. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: