If I made the tacho rules

While sat waiting to be loaded I was thinking, if I was the man that was in charge of making the tacho regs what would I do??

I don’t say this just as I’m a tacho user but merely as a road user that I think it would benefit road safety

I would make the regs plain & simple :

13 hour on shift, 11 hour daily rest, no extensions or not reductions & 48 weekly rest

alas, whatever rules there are , planners will have there own interpitaion of them

re write the regs after every 3 hours drive 30 minutes break and 3 days off in a working week

4.5hrs driving is too much imo seeing as though all these signs in services tell you to have a break every 2 hours whilst driving…obviously that’s not aimed at us proffesionals though only mere mortals.

I’d love to see a study to see if anyone can realistically wake up in the early hours and sit in a cosy seat,in a warm cab and drive for 4.5hrs solid in the dark whilst maintaining full concentration at all times…Health and safety matters,second only to making money :smiley:

xichrisxi:
4.5hrs driving is too much imo seeing as though all these signs in services tell you to have a break every 2 hours whilst driving…obviously that’s not aimed at us proffesionals though only mere mortals.

I’d love to see a study to see if anyone can realistically wake up in the early hours and sit in a cosy seat,in a warm cab and drive for 4.5hrs solid in the dark whilst maintaining full concentration at all times…Health and safety matters,second only to making money :smiley:

Thing is there’s NOTHING that says you HAVE TOO

To operate on a 35-hour week and be spread over four or five shifts including weekends, evenings and nights and earnings starting from £35,000 a year

xichrisxi:

Nope. I’ve almost fell asleep at the wheel. And I’m not even in the high risk age group.

I pulled off into services and had some fries and brisk walk. Then left the services for the M1 SB Parking Area. ■■■■ London. I’ll walk out of a job before I go down the the smoke again… (It was Central stuff though)

nick2008:

xichrisxi:

Thing is there’s NOTHING that says you HAVE TOO

I’m aware of that but people will be planned to run for the full 4.5hrs before breaks for as long as the law says you can be,I rarely run more than 2hrs without a stop due to the nature of my work but I know people working elsewhere that will be given a run that’s they are expected to run straight to it non stop as its over 4 hrs away so they tell the customer driver will be there by X o’clock.

If don’t want to do full 4.5 drive stop after2 hrs 15 brk simple

I’d make them the same as GB Domestic but with a weekly rest added so its 11hrs duty time, 10hrs driving time a day and I’d stick in a 2 day weekly rest period. That’d give you 55hrs a week which is more than enough. Maybe if that was implemented then a lot of this waiting around for 3/4hrs to get loaded/unloaded being used as free warehousing watching your life drain away would come to an end.

Conor:
Maybe if that was implemented then a lot of this waiting around for 3/4hrs to get loaded/unloaded being used as free warehousing watching your life drain away would come to an end.

Hauliers growing some balls, sticking together and charging £100 per hour demurrage after the first hour instead of constantly attempting to undercut the competition would swiftly bring it to an end too!

I’d make rules even more simple. Mon-fri, 0800-1500. End of. :smiley: