Opinions please

Hi all,

I would be grateful for your opinions on this new policy that has been introduced at work. I’ll try and keep it brief.

Our basic wage is not that great, so to enhance it we get a bonus of £50 per week. This bonus is basically an attendance allowance, so if you are sick for any period during that week, you loose your £50. During any period of annual leave you also get no bonus.

The bonus system is now being changed to include damage to your vehicle. If you are involved in an accident of any description that is your fault and any damage is caused, you loose your £50. If the accident is serious and the truck is kept off the road, again you loose your £50, but for the amount of weeks the truck is off the road. If you keep a clean sheet for 6 months you get a £200 bonus.

Any accident is one too many, but when negotiating tight spaces wing mirrors etc can be vulnerable. Do you think this new policy is accepatble?

Many thanks.

I really don’t understand people who make posts like this. :unamused: Why do you need an opinion from everyone on what they think? You obviously think it’s an outrage otherwise you wouldn’t have posted it Nothing you say or do to your gaffer is going to alter anything and neither is anything anyone says on here.

It really is very simple. If you don’t like the terms and conditions of the job then [zb] leave !!!

:unamused:

“I really don’t understand people who make posts like this.”

Err maybe because it’s a public forum where drivers come to for tips and advice :unamused:

Rob K:
I really don’t understand people who make posts like this. :unamused: Why do you need an opinion from everyone on what they think? You obviously think it’s an outrage otherwise you wouldn’t have posted it Nothing you say or do to your gaffer is going to alter anything and neither is anything anyone says on here.

It really is very simple. If you don’t like the terms and conditions of the job then [zb] leave !!!

:unamused:

Got to agree to be honest …what gets me is that when drivers accept crap like this it just makes things worse for others because ■■■■■■■■■ like your employer start to believe they are a throwback to the dark days of the victorian era where workers had to live in the masters cottages and buy from the company shop etc etc …Christ man its better on the agency than workin for T…S like that …WALK NOW :smiling_imp:

Spot on Roy, thats why we come and view the posts. It helps us deal with our own situations.

CW

How is the gaffer going to take it when you refuse tight deliveries because if you scratch the motor, you lose £50 so you won’t risk it?

Accidents are part of life. Typists have tipex, welders grind the weld out and try again, we mulla a car. It’s just that ours are more visual. Shove the bonus and get another job.

Wilde1:
Spot on Roy, thats why we come and view the posts. It helps us deal with our own situations.

CW

Now I may have not made myself clear due to the Yorkshiremans approach to diplomacy that I was unfortunately born with.

1. Yep thats what this site is for and it does no harm to ask do it myself regular due to only having a small amount of grey matter (Yorkshire thing again).

2.They are absolutely crap T&C 'S they will be asking the driver to pay for the diesel next :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

1. Don’t anyone give me that well “its the only work I can get routine”

2. and before anyone asks yes I have been in that situation and binned a job offer = MACFARLANES.

RANT OVER :laughing: :laughing:

We get a “crash bonus” of £80 a month. This is on top of our basic pay. It is not related to absence, only damage, and then only more serious damage caused by neglect. There is no hard and fast rule about exactly when the bonus is lost, but management seem to be quite reasonable about it as I have found out myself.

I don’t see anything wrong in it if it is over and above the basic wage and the terms made clear to the emplyee. I know of tanker drivers who are paid a bonus for cleaning out the tank between loads. It has to be done, but they still get a bonus for it.

If it encourages drivers to take a bit more care (I know most of us do, but some don’t) and puts a few quid more in your pocket it can’t be all bad.

I got a right slagging on here by certain people because I walked of a job that was taking the mick.

But I would do exactly the same thing again with this one, walk away its not worth getting out of bed for.

I was once offered a job where you had to pay the excess on any accident, I told them what they could do , but other blokes took it.

I was roundly slagged on here also, because I said that anybody who will pay to get there trailer unloaded out of there own money is an idiot, and I still think so.

The way I think it works is that I turn up on time, do the job I WAS OFFERED, to the best of my ability go home, get paid AGREED AMOUNT at the end of week…

They supply truck, and work, pay to run it.

Simple eh?

So why all these schemes, Fuel bonus, paperwork in right order, mileage bonus, turning up bonus,etc.

If you don’t turn up you lose your days pay or if you keep banging it if your only getting 4mpg empty, if it happens too often, down the road p45 in hand.

The reason for bonus schemes is simple. They can take it away at their discretion.

Decent rate of pay, be it hourly, weekly or monthly and skip the rest.

having a fuel bonus is bad

but …having an attendance bonus is bad enough.
having and accident free bonus is bad too.
having them as 2 seperate bonuses I could just tollerate so long as they where on top of a decent wage.
But having them combined is a definate No No

i put posts on here i like to see what others think of my opinions and to read theirs ,somthing do suprise me but its good site

Bonuses can backfire on the employer.

I was tramping for a place, when you returned if you washed the vehicle at the end of the week you would get a whole £10 extra if washed properly.

Washed truck no problems for awhile, then one day boss saw me washing the truck with the jetwash which was bought for washing the trucks and trailers. He told me not to use it, it may take the paint off the wagon. I was told truck had to be washed by hand, with a bucket and sponge. Was 6am, freezing cold, pouring with rain having decided i can’t be bothered for the sake of £10 (well about £7-8 after tax removed) i’d rather just go home get to my bed than spend 40+mins washing a truck and getting soaking wet.

After that i would get back to the depot every week and decide if i was going to wash the truck or not. If it was freezing cold, pouring with rain typically wouldnt. Was working right up to the legal hours every week making plenty of money, so the extra £10 a week i could live without rather than standing in the freezing cold washing a truck by hand especially when there was a jetwash sitting.

Kenny1975:
Bonuses can backfire on the employer.

I was tramping for a place, when you returned if you washed the vehicle at the end of the week you would get a whole £10 extra if washed properly.

Washed truck no problems for awhile, then one day boss saw me washing the truck with the jetwash which was bought for washing the trucks and trailers. He told me not to use it, it may take the paint off the wagon. I was told truck had to be washed by hand, with a bucket and sponge. Was 6am, freezing cold, pouring with rain having decided i can’t be bothered for the sake of £10 (well about £7-8 after tax removed) i’d rather just go home get to my bed than spend 40+mins washing a truck and getting soaking wet.

After that i would get back to the depot every week and decide if i was going to wash the truck or not. If it was freezing cold, pouring with rain typically wouldnt. Was working right up to the legal hours every week making plenty of money, so the extra £10 a week i could live without rather than standing in the freezing cold washing a truck by hand especially when there was a jetwash sitting.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Are you for real ?!?!?!

If he’d said to me I had to wash it by hand I would have flunged the sponge (full of soap and water) hard in his fat face, closely followed by the bucket full of water and shown him where the truck was, then gone home.

Yeah your right should have given up an easy job, with decent pay, 5mins from my door and ended up in court for assualt what a dumb ■■■ i am.

It was a bonus i never choose to accept after that unless i could be bothered.

Kenny1975:
Yeah your right should have given up an easy job, with decent pay, 5mins from my door and ended up in court for assualt what a dumb ■■■ i am.

It was a bonus i never choose to accept after that unless i could be bothered.

Okay, fair point, you didn’t have to do it, but it’s the point that he thinks so lowly of you by not allowing you to use the jet wash and expecting you to do it by hand for a tenner that got me. Just out of interest, did he ever say owt when you didn’t do it, or are you just like most other drivers and just said “how high?” whenever he said “jump!” ?

Rob K underlines my point, are some of you lot a bit soft?

He would call you up ask why you never washed the truck, told him straight wouldnt be washing the truck by hand espec since it was the winter and freezing cold and since it was a bonus i didnt feel i had to do it. Never mentioned it again.

Boss would try his luck with you, but he wouldnt push it. We had a good thing going there and he had a good thing with the drivers he had, no accidents, jobs done in time etc…

Had a few run in’s with him, we got paid a salary which wasnt bad since we only really did one hitter’s and never any stress. But worked Sunday night to Sat morning one week, then monday night to friday morning the next week.

Somtimes he would want you to work the weekends and instead of asking you would call up say sorry things are quiet can you start on say the Monday instead of Sunday night. Then expect you to stay out coming back Sunday. He tried it with me and i told him would be home my usual on the Saturday morning. He moaned a bit but backed down and came met me did a trailer swap midweek so i would be back my normal day.

Other drivers would just accept it and end up working every weekend. I never let myself get put in that position. Especially since there wasnt any extra cash for it.

Kenny1975:
He would call you up ask why you never washed the truck, told him straight wouldnt be washing the truck by hand espec since it was the winter and freezing cold and since it was a bonus i didnt feel i had to do it. Never mentioned it again.

Boss would try his luck with you, but he wouldnt push it. We had a good thing going there and he had a good thing with the drivers he had, no accidents, jobs done in time etc…

Had a few run in’s with him, we got paid a salary which wasnt bad since we only really did one hitter’s and never any stress. But worked Sunday night to Sat morning one week, then monday night to friday morning the next week.

Somtimes he would want you to work the weekends and instead of asking you would call up say sorry things are quiet can you start on say the Monday instead of Sunday night. Then expect you to stay out coming back Sunday. He tried it with me and i told him would be home my usual on the Saturday morning. He moaned a bit but backed down and came met me did a trailer swap midweek so i would be back my normal day.

Other drivers would just accept it and end up working every weekend. I never let myself get put in that position. Especially since there wasnt any extra cash for it.

Well I can’t argue with that ! (unlike me, as you know :laughing: )

A fair bit of our hourly pay is an attendance bonus. I have had one day off in 18 months, still got bonus because let them asap.
Washing the truck is a bit of a pain 60+ trucks and one jet wash means it don’t get washed too often. I washed it the friday before christmas. I was amazed at how nice it looked, it made me decide to wash it more often in future. but by new year the effect had worn off :frowning: