Finally escaped

Managed to bag myself a new job and escape this place. slightly better pay. No more driving round with a £300 excess to pay if I have an accident, or potential fines here, there and everywhere (things you do to get on the ladder ey?) Home everynight too.

Nice 1 mate, but I wouldn’t have took a job with £300 to pay if I had an accident anyway.

Been discussed 100 bzillion times before.

Accident free bonus is ok, excess out of wages is not ok.

newey91:
No more driving round with a £300 excess to pay if I have an accident.

This is becoming more common. I wonder if we could insure to avoid it ?

Nothing worse than no job satisfaction.

From his OP it sounds to me like he agreed to it to get his foot in the door, now he has experience he’s moved on to a better job and more money.
Fair play :sunglasses:

Dieseldoforme:

newey91:

No you can’t, I looked into it when they tried to take £1600 off of me.

OllieNotts:
From his OP it sounds to me like he agreed to it to get his foot in the door, now he has experience he’s moved on to a better job and more money.

Sounds to me like he was a ■■■■ for taking the job in the first place.

I shudder to think how many daft ■■■■■ there are out there that lets the employers think they can get away with such nonsense.

Chas:
. . . they tried to take £1600 off of me.

[zb] me. That’s a bit steep.

Chas:

OllieNotts:

Sounds to me like he was a [zb] for taking the job in the first place.

I shudder to think how many daft [zb] there are out there that lets the employers think they can get away with such nonsense.

Sounds to me like you’ve forgotten just how hard it can be for new lads, and just how bad things are out there.

The fella’s got some miles under his belt now and has buggered off to pastures anew as soon as, well done would be the realistic response.

We all got took the ■■■■ out of one way or another when we were green, if it wasn’t crap like this it was some other bloody con…whats more worrying is when blokes with 25 years under their belts chase the big motor and want to live in the bloody thing.

Juddian:
Sounds to me like you’ve forgotten just how hard it can be for new lads, and just how bad things are out there.

The fella’s got some miles under his belt now and has buggered off to pastures anew as soon as, well done would be the realistic response.

We all got took the ■■■■ out of one way or another when we were green, if it wasn’t crap like this it was some other bloody con…whats more worrying is when blokes with 25 years under their belts chase the big motor and want to live in the bloody thing.

I hear what you’re saying, & no, I haven’t forgotten my early years.

Like you, I’m just trying to counter those who would have us ‘old hands’ question our worth & end up settling for minimum wage, paying the excess, etc etc etc . . .

It was a slow journey. Did occasional agency work on my midweek day off in the full time job I had at the time. Whilst searching for a full time hgv job. Got a start with this company doing 7.5t home delivery of furniture, lots of handballing and heavy lifting (whuch i didnt mind…saved paying a gym membership). Chucked in the deep end doing 2 three days runs a week to London double manned doing up to 23 drops on the second day for a few months before being made redundant, only to be offered my job back the next day but as a class 2 driver doing trunking between depots with deliveries and collections on the way. Applied for many full time class 2 jobs whilst working here and finally got offered one on Monday just gone. Plan now is to carry on to my ‘2 years experience’ and hope that further opportunities with better pay will be open to me, and probably do my class 1 when I have the funds.

newey91:
It was a slow journey. Did occasional agency work on my midweek day off in the full time job I had at the time. Whilst searching for a full time hgv job. Got a start with this company doing 7.5t home delivery of furniture, lots of handballing and heavy lifting (whuch i didnt mind…saved paying a gym membership). Chucked in the deep end doing 2 three days runs a week to London double manned doing up to 23 drops on the second day for a few months before being made redundant, only to be offered my job back the next day but as a class 2 driver doing trunking between depots with deliveries and collections on the way. Applied for many full time class 2 jobs whilst working here and finally got offered one on Monday just gone. Plan now is to carry on to my ‘2 years experience’ and hope that further opportunities with better pay will be open to me, and probably do my class 1 when I have the funds.

Funny how things change with time. This seems to be the holy grail these days. It used to be more a case of the company wanting you to drive a bigger wagon 'cos it carried more and earned them more money. But then it was quite often seen as why handball off 20 ton every load for about an extra £5? a week, when I only have to handball 10 ton now? On second thoughts it went, better still I’d like to drive a puddle jumper, lose £2 and only have 3 ton to worry about.

But I suppose we did do distance work in four wheelers back then; which is virtually unheard of now.

cav551:

newey91:

Funny how things change with time. This seems to be the holy grail these days. It used to be more a case of the company wanting you to drive a bigger wagon 'cos it carried more and earned them more money. But then it was quite often seen as why handball off 20 ton every load for about an extra £5? a week, when I only have to handball 10 ton now? On second thoughts it went, better still I’d like to drive a puddle jumper, lose £2 and only have 3 ton to worry about.

But I suppose we did do distance work in four wheelers back then; which is virtually unheard of now.

What is that garbled nonsense?

Too much to ask just to congratulate the man on getting a new job and wish him all the best in the future?

Good luck to the bloke. He did what he had too and got into the industry and he has now gone up in the world.

Nice work geezer, when you’re a green horn you do have to put up with crap like:- you pay towards accidents until you get the golden 2 years under your belt, then you can move on to a professional outfit.

Chas:

Dieseldoforme:

newey91:

No you can’t, I looked into it when they tried to take £1600 off of me.

Just had a quick look on Google and it appears that Drivers Neg Insurance can only be taken out if you are an agency covering other drivers.

But surely Professional Liability insurance is the way to go. It is insuring against liability in your Professional Duties (Driving)

Well done on the new job I know it not easy & yep you sometimes have to take the crap to get on the ladder & slowly start moving up

Who you on for & do they have class 1 if /when you pass would they be willing to give you a job on class 1

animal:
Well done on the new job I know it not easy & yep you sometimes have to take the crap to get on the ladder & slowly start moving up

Who you on for & do they have class 1 if /when you pass would they be willing to give you a job on class 1

Aspray24. They have a few class 1’s. could possibly get a job on class 1 when I eventually do it

Well done mate, not easy at first and not nice being told to do things you know isn’t right… If your really keen to get on class1 i’d suggest doing your test as soon as possible, everywhere I’ve been and companies I’ve spoken to aren’t interested one bit in what you’ve done on rigids.