Opinions please

We have something similar at our place.

We get about a £60 a week incentive bonus.

Basically, if you have a bump or don’t turn up - you lose it.

I treat it as exactly that - A BONUS. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Just treat it as a perk and don’t take the money for granted.

Presumably over the years my boss must’ve had some right muppets working for him. He’s devised a pay scheme that is mutually beneficial. The bonus merely serves as financial reward for going about your job in a professional manner.

It’s a fair way to encourage drivers to take that extra bit of care in going about their daily run. No bother at all.

I personally don’t see the problem with bonuses at all, as long as they are that, a bonus. If the basic salary or hourly rate is something you’re happy to do the job for, and the bonus is on top of that, be it for washing the truck or not crashing, then where is the problem. You’re not losing anything off your basic if you don’t get it.

The problem is when the basic pay is crap and it’s made up to a reasonable level using bonuses. A few years ago when I was on vans I had a job that was horrendous, working 60hours a week driving shagged out vans totally overloaded on impossible multidrop runs across the country.

I can’t remember the exact figures but I was told when I started the pay was £180 take home a week, after the first few weeks it became apparent that the pay was £180 a week, if you get all your “bonuses”, ie £25 if you manage all your drops for that entire week, which was 100% impossible as the places usually shut way b4 you could get them all done, £15 attendance bonus, not really a problem unless you pull sickies all the time and there was one other can’t remember what, but if you lost them all was something like £140.

I left after 4 weeks, just didn’t bother turning up then eventually after he rang me a few times said I won’t be back. Remember spending a couple of days fixing the CCTV cameras round the warehouse because there was no vans (all but 1 were broken) because I listed A-level electronics on my application form :unamused:

Dreamalot:
Hi all,

I would be grateful for your opinions on this new policy that has been introduced at work. I’ll try and keep it brief.

Our basic wage is not that great, so to enhance it we get a bonus of £50 per week. This bonus is basically an attendance allowance, so if you are sick for any period during that week, you loose your £50. During any period of annual leave you also get no bonus.

The bonus system is now being changed to include damage to your vehicle. If you are involved in an accident of any description that is your fault and any damage is caused, you loose your £50. If the accident is serious and the truck is kept off the road, again you loose your £50, but for the amount of weeks the truck is off the road. If you keep a clean sheet for 6 months you get a £200 bonus.

Any accident is one too many, but when negotiating tight spaces wing mirrors etc can be vulnerable. Do you think this new policy is accepatble?

Many thanks.

Take a step back and look at this?.. These are not bonuses that you have to strive to achieve, they are an ‘incentive’ bonus. They are a given, you get them every week unless you don’t turn in or if you knock the motor. Its a sure fire way to get your arse out of bed and make sure you don’t miss the odd day as not only will you lose a days pay you will also lose your bonus? As for knocks on the motor, well yes i’m with that too. If you have to deliver to anywhere you suspect you may have a knock or is overly tight you can ring up and tell them. example…" i don’t think i can get it in, its dangerous and if i hit owt like i think i will do i will lose my bonus so i’llleave it"…you just hope they then say, do your best we’ll waver the bonus in this case (and they will).
I’ve paid for smashed light lenses, i’d like to say i can’t complain but i did ! on here ! I also now get a mileage bonus, but i don’t get to pick my jobs so its not like something i can strive for, neither is it something that is given automatically, i just have to be lucky and get a long job.
Try not to look at them as bonuses, look at them as penalties if you get owt wrong and you’ll see that it aint that bad.

Dreamalot:
Hi all,

I would be grateful for your opinions on this new policy that has been introduced at work. I’ll try and keep it brief.

Our basic wage is not that great, so to enhance it we get a bonus of £50 per week. This bonus is basically an attendance allowance, so if you are sick for any period during that week, you loose your £50. During any period of annual leave you also get no bonus.

The bonus system is now being changed to include damage to your vehicle. If you are involved in an accident of any description that is your fault and any damage is caused, you loose your £50. If the accident is serious and the truck is kept off the road, again you loose your £50, but for the amount of weeks the truck is off the road. If you keep a clean sheet for 6 months you get a £200 bonus.

Any accident is one too many, but when negotiating tight spaces wing mirrors etc can be vulnerable. Do you think this new policy is accepatble?

Many thanks.

My opinion…
The damage bonus is good as it encourages more careful driving.
The attendance allowance is not good as it encourages drivers to turn up and drive when they may not be fully fit to do so.

Many many thanks everyone for your opinions and advice, it’s much appreciated.