Operators Licence - converting from a Sole trader to Limited

Hello All,
I am wanting to go Limited but it seems to do so i have to go through all the bloody process again!

Is this right/

Have any of you gone through this scenario and is there a way round it? it seems totally stupid to have to apply for a new operators licence when the only thing that has changed is the word Limited.

Thankyou

megaspacedout:
Hello All,
I am wanting to go Limited but it seems to do so i have to go through all the bloody process again!

Is this right/

Have any of you gone through this scenario and is there a way round it? it seems totally stupid to have to apply for a new operators licence when the only thing that has changed is the word Limited.

Thankyou

As far as I know, you have to do it all again, 2 of my mates have anyway.
Sorry n all that :wink:

megaspacedout:
Hello All,

Is this right/

Thankyou

The only “O” licence conversion I’ve done was from “restricted” to “standard national.” If you read the legal section of Commercial Motor you’ll see that the TCs take it quite seriously if an operator fails to tell them about going “Limited.” It’s a while since I read an “O” licence, but I’d guess that there’s no way around it, if it’s in the terms and conditions. :unamused: :unamused:
Have you thought of contacting your TAO for some “horse’s mouth” advice?? It might be less grief in the long run. :wink:

megaspacedout:
Hello All,

Is this right/

yep, thats exactly how it is, you go through the whole process as if you were just starting out.
By going Ltd, your Company has an entirely different entity as far as the TO is concerned.

If you do go through the process to change, you run on the existing licence until the new one comes through.

I agree with your original comments that it seems farcical, but why make it easy when loads of red tape can get put in the way :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Thanks for the reply’s, totally hacked off with this scenario :imp:

I think it would be useful for anyone thinking of going down the Owner Driver route to think carefully about this point because it could save alot of heartache in the future!! never mind the expense :cry:

megaspacedout:
Thanks for the reply’s, totally hacked off with this scenario :imp:

I think it would be useful for anyone thinking of going down the Owner Driver route to think carefully about this point because it could save alot of heartache in the future!! never mind the expense :cry:

What about ;

Running the business under the “LTD” banner, but, keep the truck running on the SOLE TRADER licence, one sub-contracts to the other ■■?
The limited business runs as a “forwarder”, thats if you are after the tax saving bit, and not trying to get away from the corparate manslaughter bits ect…
LTD status does not save your neck as much as the accountants make out, they want you LTD, so you have to use them for the never ending future.
Have a think about it, I know of others who do this, and, it seems to work for them…

My dad has had to go through it all over again,
pain in the arse,