One of those daft questions . .

. . . that goes through your head when your sitting day dreaming . . . :confused:

Anyway, here goes . . .

Obviously all cars are different heights and sizes etc, so how do car transporters know their running height when they are loaded?

How does anyone know their running height? By measuring it. :wink:

measure the highest car thats on the top deck

Coffeeholic:

lol

Coffeeholic:

I cant remember the last time I got the tape measure out to a trailer to be honest :grimacing:

I save myself the hassle by looking on the front :unamused:

redbob:

Coffeeholic:

I cant remember the last time I got the tape measure out to a trailer to be honest :grimacing:

That doesnt work with a car transporter or flat trailer redbob :smiley: :smiley:

I think they have a telescopic measuring stick with a pointer on top to the highest car or van, and be able to read the hight at ground level.

pig pen:
I think they have a telescopic measuring stick with a pointer on top to the highest car or van, and be able to read the hight at ground level.

Correct :slight_smile:

toowise:

redbob:

Coffeeholic:

That doesnt work with a car transporter or flat trailer redbob :smiley: :smiley:

Exactly! Thats why I asked in the 1st place!! :unamused:

Sorry redbob, I seem to be having brain fade at the moment, :blush: :blush: :blush:

toowise:
Sorry redbob, I seem to be having brain fade at the moment, :blush: :blush: :blush:

:laughing:

its one of these
cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRUCK-LORRY-TRANS … 0802934201

redbob:

Coffeeholic:

And how do you know what is on the front is accurate if you don’t measure it? I would never trust what is marked as the height on the front of a trailer, to many variables for it to be accurate. It may be that your unit carries it a little higher and you end up hitting something. It may be that your unit carries it lower and knowing that could save you a big detour round that low bridge on your proposed route. That ‘hassle’ takes all of a minute but could save you grief.

Coffeeholic:

redbob:

Coffeeholic:

And how do you know what is on the front is accurate if you don’t measure it? I would never trust what is marked as the height on the front of a trailer, to many variables for it to be accurate. It may be that your unit carries it a little higher and you end up hitting something. It may be that your unit carries it lower and knowing that could save you a big detour round that low bridge on your proposed route. That ‘hassle’ takes all of a minute but could save you grief.

Sorry but I think your being a bit O.T.T.
Based on that theory then, how do you trust what height is written on the front of a bridge? Do you stop in front of it then get the old ladder and Stanley tape measure out??

redbob:

Coffeeholic:

redbob:

Coffeeholic:

Sorry but I think your being a bit O.T.T.
Based on that theory then, how do you trust what height is written on the front of a bridge? Do you stop in front of it then get the old ladder and Stanley tape measure out??

No because it is not my legal responsibility to know the height of the bridge, and the sign doesn’t indicate the height of the bridge anyway, but it is my responsibility to know the height of the vehicle I am driving.

if you hit a 4.6m bridge you were probably just over that height at the time and your Merc A class has become a convertable

JLS Driver SOS:
if you hit a 4.6m bridge you were probably just over that height at the time and your Merc A class has become a convertable

LOL! :laughing: