Running Height

Hello all,

I recently passed my class 1 and landed a job running containers and ferry trailers out of the Humber ports (not started yet).

My question will probably get laughed at by many but if you can’t ask here on this forum, where can you ask?..

How do you know how high your vehicle is as containers and ferry trailers are different heights. Will it be on the front of the trailer or on the container? Or do I have to physically measure every time?

Stupid question probably but need to ask as I don’t want to hit the road with the wrong height on my height board!!!

Thanks in advance and I’ll await some slagging off too :blush:

Not a stupid question at all Neil, it’s one of the most important questions of all
Keep asking , it’s better to sound like a fool once in a while than to be one .
Somebody will be along shortly to give you correct dimensions of standard containers on standard (ish) kingpin heights, something like 13’ 6" I think.
Good luck,
Jim

Most containers will have the container height marked on them. Once you know the height of your trailer just add the two together.

Not a silly question either.

m1cks:
Most containers will have the container height marked on them. Once you know the height of your trailer just add the two together.

and remember just because you went under that bridge or entrance loaded at 13ft and your adding up says came to 13ft 4in, when you come out your a bit lighter so will be the combined measurements you initially calculated height :wink:

nick2008:

m1cks:

and remember just because you went under that bridge or entrance loaded at 13ft and your adding up says came to 13ft 4in, when you come out your a bit lighter so will be the combined measurements you initially calculated height :wink:

But most units running on air (nearly all nowadays) will keep the same running height irrespecrive of weight of load.

On containers you will be running 13’6’’ or 14’6’’ , standard box or high cube.
To be sure though mearure floor to front con lock and the add box height, they are normaly marked.

As for the ferry trailers I would measure a few but for the most part you will be 13-14 foot. Olof may be a bit .ore can’t remeber there exect height.

m1cks:

nick2008:

m1cks:

But most units running on air (nearly all nowadays) will keep the same running height irrespecrive of weight of load.

most granted but as the advert says every little helps …now get on the other thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=116532
and get the pop corn out :wink:

nick2008:

m1cks:

nick2008:

m1cks:

most granted but as the advert says every little helps …now get on the other thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=116532
and get the pop corn out :wink:

Oh dear :frowning:
Thread subscribed to :slight_smile:

Gents,

thanks for all the sound advice. Much appreciated. No doubt more questions to follow on the near future :smiley:

Neil

Neil

Why don’t you just go and purchase a extendable measuring stick then you can check yourself…ppl might point fingers and laugh but then you know its covered

Swampey2418:
Neil

Why don’t you just go and purchase a extendable measuring stick then you can check yourself…ppl might point fingers and laugh but then you know its covered

Or a 5 metre tape measure.

defo not a stupid question am on car transporters so height always varies,and we get issued with height sticks to check heights.get boss to get you one or if paying yourself buy a good 5m tape like other poster says who cares if folk look and laugh just look on here at the bridge bashers because they didn’t check or new better :wink:

In the cab, there is the height indicator but who really checks it physically… the driver ? personally I think thats basic part of the vehicle checks considering that you may use different trailers of varying heights over a month…

I certainly don’t wanna get caught out and at the end of the day who’s gonna cope the blame if you hit a bridge… first thing VOSA will do is check the height indicator and then ask the driver " did you check your vehicle height at any stage "… not worth the hassle for a few minutes