Old firms packing up

We allways read of transport companies that pack up due to bankruptsy,but what about the firms that just park or sell the trucks and lay men off.
In the past 5 months in the Penrith (eden valley area) a number of firms have shed drivers and some of these companies have been on the go for years ,one of the latest is Cragg and Cutriss or Fellside transport (green liveried motors) that is one of the oldest transport firms in this area,another one is Joe Rothery at Brough who has cut back to 1 truck shedding 3 jobs and how many others are to follow.
This area is very reliant on the haulage industry, even Stobart is not taking on new drivers.

Small firm, 5 trucks, I’d been on for 4 years shut up shop last month :frowning:

We ran lean, very lean, and still couldn’t make it pay. Can’t get my head around how some firms keep going…

Its sad Steve as we only hear of the big failures, and not all the smaller ones that just throw in the towel,I am sure if these were added up, our industry has lost a lot of hauliers and drivers, in the last year or two.

CELTIC or RANGERS? :stuck_out_tongue:

This is gonna sound harsh but the more firms who pack up then the higher the rates will rise as there will eventually be a short fall in capacity and the hauliers who are left might start making a decent profit and be able to pay the drivers more.

The rates frims are doing work for are just not sustainable. Customers have had cheap haulage for far too long.

But the customer is also known as the ‘end user’. So the higher cost is pushed onto them (Us (the buyer), so how do we afford the new price when wages are poor to start with.

I can’t see employers upping our wages straight away :frowning: profit/greed comes first to them :imp:

And then there’ll be just the big boys left… no ‘family run / values’ it’ll just be whip cracking GET A MOVE ON!!! :imp: :imp: :imp:

Silver_Surfer:
This is gonna sound harsh but the more firms who pack up then the higher the rates will rise as there will eventually be a short fall in capacity and the hauliers who are left might start making a decent profit and be able to pay the drivers more.

The rates frims are doing work for are just not sustainable. Customers have had cheap haulage for far too long.

very true,but then the bosses and drivers still need to eat and shop,where will the money come from to raise the rates if less is going in the shops?
think mining area’s,
south wales valleys.
have they recovered from losing the industry that was once there ?

dont think wages will increase as there will be more drivers than jobs…

Goldfinger:
But the customer is also known as the ‘end user’. So the higher cost is pushed onto them (Us (the buyer), so how do we afford the new price when wages are poor to start with.

I can’t see employers upping our wages straight away :frowning: profit/greed comes first to them :imp:

And then there’ll be just the big boys left… no ‘family run / values’ it’ll just be whip cracking GET A MOVE ON!!! :imp: :imp: :imp:

Spot on!

Another factor is if a long established company has a decent sized site they could get a tempting offer from one of the big supermarkets or developers for the land. A lot of us on here can probably drive past a Tescos or a posh new housing estate and recall what was there before. Not only haulage firms but cafes and small factories, and that’s just on the main roads. Regards to all, Haddy.