Old ERF or similiar

Thinking of buying an old ERF b or c series to do up and do the shows and rallies etc.I know you can get cheap classic insurance and they are not too heavy on Tax but the ones that come up on ebay never have any tax or test on them so if you buy one how do you get it home??..a lowloader would be handy but i bet it would cost a fair penny to get someone to collect for me.

If anyone has done this or currently runs one what tips would you give?..also does anyone know of any 80’s or early 90’s tractor units laid up anywhere that maybe for sale?

It would have to be a tractor unit as i have only about 30ft x 10ft parking area free.

Any advice greatly appreciated :wink:

Al

Robin C Conod at Leominster,a deaker and haulier has several ERF’s parked there,if you put his name on google,his contact details will come up.
Cheers Dave.

Hi scantheman, I have had several old motors to my name now over the last 20 odd years. If you buy a motor that is pre 1972 then you won’t need to tax it as it will be free but you still need to get a disc in the same manner as you would normally.
There are several companies that do cheap classic lorry insurance, I do mine with Footeman James its about £280 a year.
If you get a lorry that is pre 1960 then it is free from tax, test and a LGV license. Any motor later than 1960 will need to be tested unless it is a recovery lorry or a ballast tractor but you must hold the correct LGV to drive it.
Now then if you buy your old ERF unit and it is out of tax or test or even both, you could maybe borrow a set of trade plates to drive it home but strictley speaking you must be working for the owner of the plates to be using them!
Failing that you could possibly get a fellow enthusiast to tow you home which would be cheaper than a lowloader.
If I knew your location I might be able to put you on to somebody in the know!
I hope that this info is of some use but if I can be of any more help I will, so in the meantime good luck!
regards doublereduction.

Cheers for the helpful replies…will try and call about the ERF’s you mentioned Dave.DR i am from Anglesey North wales and i know someone with trade plates but don’t know if they would lend them out! As for type of licence i should be ok on that one as i have a class one.

Thanks…Al