Dennis's Challenge!

Dennis (the Bewick one :wink: ) issued a challenge to start a new thread to divert attention away from the Guy 8LXB thread and Cov19. So here is the new topic.

Combining Dennis’s challenge with Chris Arbon’s new thread called Truck Conversion Motor Homes I’ve come up with this:

If you were to be given a modest but comfortable ex-showmans (or similar) semi-trailer living van with a grant to buy a unit to pull it, what tractive unit would you choose and why? You are allowed to have a retro unit if you wish, especially if you want to use it for the show circuit.

To show how unbiased and open-minded I am, here’s what I’d have :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :

This particular ERF NGC unusually had a big-cam ■■■■■■■ 290 in it with a Fuller box.

[Picture by Richard Pountain, BTW]

Ro

No contest, I would go for a Foden 4000 series unit because I know it would get me to where I wanted to go and then get me safely back home again and they were the comfiest cab I ever rode in! :laughing: That ERF outfit of Robert’s might look the part alright, but I would be damned if I would want to carry a spare tractor unit around with me just incase of breakdowns like the one in the pic? :open_mouth: :wink: Lack of a LGV licence could be a stumbling block though. :confused:

Pete.

windrush:
No contest, I would go for a Foden 4000 series unit because I know it would get me to where I wanted to go and then get me safely back home again and they were the comfiest cab I ever rode in! :laughing: That ERF outfit of Robert’s might look the part alright, but I would be damned if I would want to carry a spare tractor unit around with me just incase of breakdowns like the one in the pic? :open_mouth: :wink: Lack of a LGV licence could be a stumbling block though. :confused:

Pete.

:laughing: :laughing: Well, perhaps I’d replace the racing truck on the back with my car! R

ERF-NGC-European:

windrush:

Pete.

:laughing: :laughing: Well, perhaps I’d replace the racing truck on the back with my car! R

4000 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,ouch my arm just fell off try to move the gearstick ,tried to use the other arm but the cold wind through the door shut has frozen it ,looks like a none starter :laughing:

Better suited 4000 yrs ago :wink:

Punchy Dan:
4000 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,ouch my arm just fell off try to move the gearstick ,tried to use the other arm but the cold wind through the door shut has frozen it ,looks like a none starter :laughing:

That’s all an ‘urban myth’ young Daniel, I had four Foden’s and all had cable change (and drove many more) and none of them were ever heavy. I could whip through the cogs like a knife through warm butter. Now stop clutching at straws and get off to bed! :slight_smile:

Pete.

Why not just pm each other :bulb:

I suppose if failing to get my first choice, and I would only ever want something British, then a Sed Ak with a Gardner would do me quite nicely Robert. :wink: I can’t find a pic to put up of one with a caravan though?

Pete.

windrush:
I suppose if failing to get my first choice, and I would only ever want something British, then a Sed Ak with a Gardner would do me quite nicely Robert. :wink: I can’t find a pic to put up of one with a caravan though?

Pete.

A nice Sed-Atk would probably do you then :wink: Plenty of nice trailers to choose from. As for the Foden cable change, I don’t remember it being hard work, just different! OK if the cable didn’t get slack. You have what you want old mate! I’m the fairy godmother with the wand :laughing:

And here for you is a SA400 with a Roll 320 and your trailer. It even has a 13-sp Fuller in it. Actually, I wouldn’t mind that myself!! What more could you wish for (besides a 401)……. :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:

windrush:

Pete.

A nice Sed-Atk would probably do you then :wink: Plenty of nice trailers to choose from. As for the Foden cable change, I don’t remember it being hard work, just different! OK if the cable didn’t get slack. You have what you want old mate! I’m the fairy godmother with the wand :laughing:

And here for you is a SA400 with a Roll 320 and your trailer. It even has a 13-sp Fuller in it. Actually, I wouldn’t mind that myself!! What more could you wish for (besides a 401)……. :laughing:

I’ll settle for the MK2 ■■■■■■ in the shot that’ll do me

Have we got a thread purely devoted to tippers? or wholesale market work? or high street deliveries? or construction sites, RDCs etc ? We have individual posts on various threads but are there any other than the removals one which concentrate on a specific niche?

Anyone want to take a pick and start one?

cav551:
Have we got a thread purely devoted to tippers? or wholesale market work? or high street deliveries? or construction sites, RDCs etc ? We have individual posts on various threads but are there any other than the removals one which concentrate on a specific niche?

Yes, there’s a long-running tipper thread somewhere. Just scroll back through the pages of this forum and bump it up. If I get a moment I’ll have a look. Ro

cav551:

I thought there was a dedicated tipper thread somewhere but I might be getting confused with Bonkeys 'Tar**c ( :unamused: ) Tipper thread of course? I could start one on Tilcon and/or construction sites as that was my whole driving career but (a) it would bore most folk rigid, and (B ) many of the pics would be on here already in different sections! Facebook has a ‘Tipper and Mixer’ section which, if you can get between all the political and soft ■■■■ stuff posted, is actually very interestiing. Can’t remember anything on market deliveries though?

Robert: that Sed Ak 400 would do me nicely, never rode in a 401 so can’t really comment. However (at the risk of upsetting someone) the Seddon cab would have rotted away by now so I have far more chance of finding a decent 4000 series Foden! :wink:

Pete.

One thing to think about, we are all getting older :open_mouth: it will need to be something with easy access! Using a front wheel stepring and the steering wheel is now a no no. Like most on here getting out was, open door, hand on sill, and go! Not viable now :confused: :confused: I tried with the Castrol ERF (LV) a year or so ago :cry: I finished up on my arse :laughing: with my pals ■■■■■■■ themselves
laughing at me ( once they realised I was ok). Also, what about “her who must be obeyed”?
I remember her having to be boosted with my shoulder under her little ■■■■, :wink: :wink:
Things have spread a bit since then!! :wink: :wink: :unamused: :unamused:
So there’s a bit more involved :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ps. Great idea for a thread!! :smiley: Regards Kev.

Home comforts is the name of the day when away from home!NMP.

How about this one? Looks great, sounds great, and the “load” is actually the sleeping accomodation! Not sure if I would be able to get it rolling though, something about two gearlevers and such…

It’s got to be 240 Guy unit,with 6sp DB. The accommodation trailer will be fitted with proximity sensor to bring on forward facing lights n camera aimed at cab rear. All transmitted to 60" tele in the lounge, where Dennis can keep his eye on her! Cheers Coomsey

coomsey:
It’s got to be 240 Guy unit,with 6sp DB. The accommodation trailer will be fitted with proximity sensor to bring on forward facing lights n camera aimed at cab rear. All transmitted to 60" tele in the lounge, where Dennis can keep his eye on her! Cheers Coomsey

Coomsey,

Been waiting for someone to throw that one in to ring!! :wink: but in reality i think Mr Smith (Dennis / Denzil / Bewick) was really looking on closure to that subject, however as you are favouring one of his ex Beauties to haul your camper home you may get his attention… :laughing: :laughing:

E…W.

coomsey:

The gearbox would have to be Fuller 9509, absolutely bomb proof, the DB 6:600 wouldn’t have lasted more than 50/60,000 miles. Cheers Dennis.

Some yrs ago now the Merc wasn’t very powerful but the 14 litres pulling it made up for it .