Old Companies

Does anyone (marky?) remember the co. from Charnock Richard in the late 70s early 80s who ran Blue & White Daf 2800`s on container work and were based at what was the old “Whitehouse Cafe” at Charnock Richard on the old A6?

They had similar colours to “Inter City Transport” from Glasgow.

Was it “Contrans” or something like that?

The co. concerned although based at Charnock Richard were on container haulage only and they had an 0704 (Southport) phone no. on as the contact no.
and strangely not a Charnock Richard no.

Inter City Transport & Trading of Old Inns ■■■■■■■■■■■■
Now there is an old company from the past – I believe they had depots at Leigh and London Colney !
I remember them trunking Camp Coffee out of Glasgow, Carnation Milk, Ford spares for Alexanders, Whiskey (by tanker) etc.
Whatever happened to them ■■

I remember them as you are right they did have a depot at Leigh just off the East Lancs Rd. by the “New Island Cafe” which is now a small housing estate.

Their Leigh Depot was by the gasworks at Leigh but I can,t think of the name of the road as if I remember right you turned left at a pub opposite a church on to an industrial estate.

Big Leggy:
Inter City Transport & Trading of Old Inns ■■■■■■■■■■■■
Now there is an old company from the past – I believe they had depots at Leigh and London Colney !
I remember them trunking Camp Coffee out of Glasgow, Carnation Milk, Ford spares for Alexanders, Whiskey (by tanker) etc.
Whatever happened to them ■■[/quote

Were bought out by TDG years back as was Thos Smith Newhaven, they were transfered to ■■■■■■■■■■■ depot from Broxburn

Back to the original question from Norman - yes, there was a firm who ran out of the White Horse car park and you’re right with the area code for the phone number. The firm was called Contec and they were from Southport, hence the 0704 dialling code.

Here’s a picture, which was taken by the driver of the DAF and kindly loaned to me a few years ago:

I sometimes wonder whether there was some sort of link with R Barker from Burscough - the registration numbers were very close to the DAFs that Barkers had and the signwriter was the same too.

Thanks “Marky” for the info as you were the one person I thought of who would know the answer.

I don,t think they had anything to do with Barkers of Burscough even though they were very similar in colours etc.