Old manc companys

[attachment=1]IMG_3033.JPG[/

N8DVS:
like the allens photo notice the lift of box on the wagon they had yard full of em,how about WALLMANS of cheetham hill they also worked for massey ferguson they were all red.

any body remember stanleys transport of ardwick later moved to reddish !!!

Hello

Welcome to trucknetuk :smiley:

You could also ask this chap paulanderson.fotopic.net/
He has lots of photos of wagons from the North West.

When and where exactly were Stanleys based, and what work did they do, and what were their motors like? That might help jog some memories. I worked for (my first job) W.R. Wilson Transport Ltd (Ardwick) in 1981-82, after they moved from Stockport. My motor was JND 587F.

I can’t say I remember seeing Stanleys but that could be because of my bad memory! Did you drive for them then?

Z

Yes I remember Stanley’s Tranport, was it Station Road Ind Est at Reddish they were on ? I didn’t know they where origionaly from Ardwick though.
(Blue & White, general haulage flat wagons, all Leyland’s ?)
Sorry I’ve no photos of theirs.
Did they get took over by Onwood Transport sometime in the 70’s ?
When they closed down round about 1999, Geof Reyner’s (Droylsden) bought one of their old Daf 85 units, but only ran it about a month or so before useing it as the yard shunter.
And Davies Bros from Bredbury (White & Black - ERF/DAF - flats) then moved into their yard at Reddish ?

One of Bubb’s photos, of Priestner’s based at Carrington in the 70’s.

And Geoff Reyner’s from Droylsden.

If I remember there used to be a company called Stanley Transport based in the Chadderton area of Oldham I think they were in the same yard that TTX have now on Fields New Rd or Stockfield Rd, dark blue livery.

Didn’t Reyners have a yard in Farnworth too?

No, before Droylsden they had a yard near Manchester University.
From Droylsden they moved to Oldham, behind Park Cakes.
Then sold out to an off shoot of Holroyd & Meeks, (Safe Logistics) in Dec '05, and then they finished in April '07.

N8DVS:
any body remember stanleys transport of ardwick later moved to reddish !!!

Is this the firm you mean?

This is just one of several Stanleys picture’s i will be putting on the Northwest Trucks web site over the weekend

Paul.

spot on with thaki mate b4 my time that one,i started on a GUY WARRIOR u may well say WOT then i got a LEYLAND LYNX,b4 i became a driver and got a A.E.C–760–MANDATOR,cheers mate more pics very welcome.

Does anyone remember this firm Sherran’s, as well as being based in Stalybridge they had a small place on Ainsworth Street, West Gorton. They ran till about '72 using D-series and ERF artic flats plus 8 wheel Atki’s and KV ERF’s, some running in “Cary Springs” dark blue livery.

And Joeseph Hoyle’s of Audenshaw, (both photos supplied by Stanfield.

Kaye Goodfellow’s from Beswick. (Photo supplied by Bubbleman.)

Another two sent in from Stanfield.
Edward Beck’s from Reddish.

And one of W.F. Sherran’s in the “Cary Springs” livery.

Zetorpilot:
Hello

Welcome to trucknetuk :smiley:

You could also ask this chap paulanderson.fotopic.net/
He has lots of photos of wagons from the North West.

When and where exactly were Stanleys based, and what work did they do, and what were their motors like? That might help jog some memories. I worked for (my first job) W.R. Wilson Transport Ltd (Ardwick) in 1981-82, after they moved from Stockport. My motor was JND 587F.

I can’t say I remember seeing Stanleys but that could be because of my bad memory! Did you drive for them then?

Z

HI MATE, stanleys were red chassis green half cab and white top later changed to Light grey and a light green when they moved to reddish,
they worked for BROWN & POLSON now cerestar,also akrow bredbury and dexion wharton cranes reddish his fleet were a right heinz mix just about every BL truck u can think of the last new trucks F86 and 1F88 !!!

Does anyone remember a firm called Finneys from Manchester? They were traditional green, if I remember right the lettering was in yellow?gold? with red chassis. Smart wagons pulling flats, I used to load oil from Shell @ Trafford Park in the mid/late 80s & they were often in there.

Take a look at the thread OLD HAULAGE COMPANYS there is quite a bit on there about Finneys

adr:
Does anyone remember a firm called Finneys from Manchester? They were traditional green, if I remember right the lettering was in yellow?gold? with red chassis. Smart wagons pulling flats, I used to load oil from Shell @ Trafford Park in the mid/late 80s & they were often in there.

You’'d be talking J & C Finney from Tyldesley? They used to load out of Beecham’s at Little Hulton too.

adr:

Here is one of J & C Finney’s click HERE :slight_smile:

Regards Paul

moomooland:

adr:

Here is one of J & C Finney’s click HERE :slight_smile:

Regards Paul

One of their LV-cabbed ERFs survived into preservation - I think John Wood in Bollington had it for a while, though I don’'t know where it is now. The reg numbers were always a round hundred, weren’t they? I think it was a member of the Finney family who used load trailers at Beecham’s with one of these old ERFs, and shunt them back to the yard. The lorry would probably have been getting on for 20 years old by then.

J & C Finney! Thats the kiddy, thanx u all, amazing how 1 photo can bring back so many memories, I am tying a dolly just looking at it! You can keep all your fancy custom spraying & chrome everywhere, you cannot beat a traditional British General Haulage wagon in trad colours.

how about BARBER TURNOCKS STOKPORT anybody,all the reg numbers finish 100 200 300 and so on. :question: