Old manc companys

Can we include Stockport in this thread and if so what about “Booles for Tools”,they were from Stockport weren’t they?

yep thanks for the spelling,BOOLES WERE FAWN AND BROWN mainly 4 wheelers "PLS CHECK SPELLING "

I’m sure I saw one of ‘Booles for Tooles’ motor’s in Halifax just last week :question: :question: They are still around arn’t they :question: Hope I wasn’t halucinating :confused: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

Regards
Dave Penn;

N8DVS:
how about BARBER TURNOCKS STOKPORT anybody,all the reg numbers finish 100 200 300 and so on. :question:

Here is one of Booles from Stanfield, but these days I think they are all Scania’s.

TIPIT:
Here is one of Booles from Stanfield, but these days I think they are all Scania’s.

Nice picture Tipit and glad to hear they are still going :smiley:

adr:
Does anyone remember a firm called Finneys from Manchester? They were traditional green, if I remember right the lettering was in yellow?gold? with red chassis. Smart wagons pulling flats, I used to load oil from Shell @ Trafford Park in the mid/late 80s & they were often in there.

Hi.

Have started a J & C Finney of Tyldesley gallery which can be seen on the Northwest Trucks web site.
Also many other old long gone Manchester companies are featured.

Paul.

Allens of trafford park had some smatr wagon and drags on the kellogs contract i believe they used to do the continent with them. Does anybody have any pics of them.

no pic’s mate allens also worked for massey ferguson tractors barton dock rd,i worked for company called springfield haulage on massey ferguson allens did do a lot ofcontinental;

I think I must have found this on Bubb’s Scrapbook thread, I’ll try and get round to colouring it one day !
We had some of these swivle axle draw bars at Newsflow, they were a nightmare to reverse.
They only ever got used on Saturday night trunks, so were as good as new when after 2 years they parked them up and used them for storage.

Tipit,
You’re quite right the ‘real’ drawbar was a right so and so to reverse, but like everything else if you drove them enough you did get the hang of them.
The main thing was not to drive them like an artic. When I first started driving them I was told slow and steady, go ten foot backwards and two foot forwards and so on. Mind you I was also told if I could master pushing a piece of spaghetti up the wall with a fork, then I would’nt have any problems :confused:
Ray

like the allens photo notice the lift of box on the wagon they had yard full of em,how about WALLMANS of cheetham hill they also worked for massey ferguson they were all red.

Does this one count in this thread?

Just to update on Boole’s, all the ERF’s they had have now been replaced with these.

Does anyone else remember these from Reddish, their yard was behind what is now Halford’s at Lancashire Hill roundabout.
The Rochdale firm I driven for back in the 70’s (Zinc Alloy) use to get these in to do my deliveries around East Anglia and Essex, because they charged less to do the work than it cost to send their own lorry.

There was another Warburton’s Transport though around the same time in the 70’s - 80’s with Maroon & light Blue, signwritten B series ERF 6 wheel flats. I think they carried for Oldham’s Batteries, and their yard was around the area that the Stockport Pyramid has now been built.

With the help of owner James Wilkinson i have now added another collection of picture’s on to the Northwest Trucks web site this time featuring the well known company of Austin Wilkinson formally of Salford but now based in Atherton.

James has been kind enough to let me have many pictures of the firm dating back to the early 1950s and i will be posting them on to the site over the coming weeks

Regards Paul Anderson Northwest Trucks

AS ANYONE GOT ANY PICS OR ANY INFO ON ANY OF THESE OLD MANC FIRMS,HARRY BAXTER OF STALYBRIDGE,FIIRTHS ALSO OF STALYBRIDGE,TRUSCOTTS OF MOSSLEY,MORTIMERS OF DELPH,AND NORMANS TRANSPORT OF CLAYTON BRIDGE…CHEERS.

I used to drive for McVeigh’s who then became Humber McVeigh’s in Salford,they loaded ex Massey Ferguson in Trafford Park as well.
I then drove for Smith of Maddiston North St for some 5 years,night trunk, tramping,whatever,good times.

Keep it going,

Dave

I used to drive for Mortimers out of the delph depoti drove one of the two artics they had

Hi Rocky7—kenhulmes is looking for photos of Mortimer of Delph have you got any to put on this thread?