Official Night out money

Does anyboby know what the Night out Rate is ? Ive been looking on IRs site and and can only find the rate for 1995 @ £20.50

i think the average would be about 25 quid

Im sure it depends on area, what the IR will allow

The rates for 2008 haven’t been published yet, they are not usually agreed with the revenue until into January each year. For the last few years they have been as follows.

• 2007 - £28.62 (sleeper cab rate is £21.46)
  • 2006 - £27.55 (sleeper cab rate is £20.66)
  • 2005 - £26.90
  • 2004 - £26.00
  • 2003 - £25.15
  • 2002 - £24.50
  • 2001 - £24.30
  • 2000 - £23.55
  • 1999 - £23.22
  • 1998 - £22.55
  • 1997 - £21.75

75% of the above figures should be used where drivers use sleeper cabs.

Am I right in thinking that the Night out money is different between UK + EU.
Higher if i am correct when in EU.

Coffeeholic:
The rates for 2008 haven’t been published yet, they are not usually agreed with the revenue until into January each year. For the last few years they have been as follows.

• 2007 - £28.62 (sleeper cab rate is £21.46)
  • 2006 - £27.55 (sleeper cab rate is £20.66)
  • 2005 - £26.90
  • 2004 - £26.00
  • 2003 - £25.15
  • 2002 - £24.50
  • 2001 - £24.30
  • 2000 - £23.55
  • 1999 - £23.22
  • 1998 - £22.55
  • 1997 - £21.75

75% of the above figures should be used where drivers use sleeper cabs.

You can of course pay higher rates, the ones Coffee published are what is allowed tax free. What ever you recieve above those rates is taxable

Tramper:
What ever you recieve above those rates is taxable

Not always. You can negotiate a higher rate to be paid without deduction of tax, especially when overseas work is involved. For example:

Companies that have drivers travelling regularly to Europe, and beyond, may agree higher daily rates by providing their Inland Revenue office with evidence of higher and other costs eg costs of currency conversion and fluctuation; additional costs may include 2 or more showers per day (especially in Mediterranean areas in summer), bottled water, parking in secure areas (particularly taking account risk assessment and the need to protect the vehicle, load and driver - these areas tend not to provide the cheapest local food)

Ben9:
Am I right in thinking that the Night out money is different between UK + EU.
Higher if i am correct when in EU.

Not automatically higher, it needs to be cleared with the Revenue first.

Coffeeholic:

Tramper:
What ever you recieve above those rates is taxable

Not always. You can negotiate a higher rate to be paid without deduction of tax, especially when overseas work is involved. For example:

Companies that have drivers travelling regularly to Europe, and beyond, may agree higher daily rates by providing their Inland Revenue office with evidence of higher and other costs eg costs of currency conversion and fluctuation; additional costs may include 2 or more showers per day (especially in Mediterranean areas in summer), bottled water, parking in secure areas (particularly taking account risk assessment and the need to protect the vehicle, load and driver - these areas tend not to provide the cheapest local food)

Thats being somewhat pedantic Neil. What was published are the limits, however you may be able to strike a deal.

Tramper:
Thats being somewhat pedantic Neil.

That’s what I do. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Tramper:
What was published are the limits, however you may be able to strike a deal.

Exactly, which is different to you saying anything paid above those rates will be taxed when , especially in the case of Euro work you can easily receive more and not be taxed. It is also how Driver’s Urban Myths start. Someone says you cannot be paid more without paying tax and every truckstop lawyer is stating it as fact before you know it. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :smiley:

Not without entering into further, specific negotiations. Point made! Game set and match to me, now hush! :stuck_out_tongue:

Does taxation on the Night Out Rate work like using a private car on business use? It ought to.

For car use, the Revenue use 40p/mile - if you get more you are taxed on the excess, but if you get less you can tax relief on the difference.

So if you get less than the Revenue rate for nights out, can you claim tax relief on the shortfall?

Cheers
TC

Tramper:
Not without entering into further, specific negotiations. Point made! Game set and match to me, now hush! :stuck_out_tongue:

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

You didn’t mention negotiation, you juut made the sweeping statement taht anything above that would be taxed.

You’re just an Urban Myth starter, that’s what you are. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :sunglasses:

I managed to wangle a tax free meal allowance anarl only 3 quid a day like, but it all helped, we weren’t on regular nights out mind, just 3 or 4 a month.

holy thread revival batman!

looking at the figures above in niels post,

does anyone actually have a breakdown of what this money is for? i know it is for the inconvenience of being in your cab all week but surely they didnt just pluck the figures out of the air.

an example of such like

£1.16 for washing and maintenance of bedding
£2.76 for provision of cooking equipment
£1.89 for washing of clothing/uniform
(in case you havent guessed by now im just making these up)

and so on and so on

non sleeper cab rate £30.75
sleeper cab rate £23.00
as of 31-12-2009