Over night subsistence

Hi,
Can any one help please as to what the inland revenue will pay per night away from base for Drivers with a sleeper cab,
My employer pay’s £24 per night and £29 European is this the limit before any tax would be deducted.
On the HMRC site it states 2012-£33.85 ( sleeper cab rate is £ 25.40 ).
Has any one got a update as from 2014/15
Thanks in Advance.

AssurableAnimal:
Hi,
Can any one help please as to what the inland revenue will pay per night away from base for Drivers with a sleeper cab,
My employer pay’s £24 per night and £29 European is this the limit before any tax would be deducted.
On the HMRC site it states 2012-£33.85 ( sleeper cab rate is £ 25.40 ).
Has any one got a update as from 2014/15
Thanks in Advance.

It’s not that simple, different tax areas have different max rates before it becoming taxable, and just because the tax office says its £■■, your employer isn’t obliged to pay it, in fact your employer isn’t legaly obliged to pay you anything.

more to this then i thought.
Thank you for the heads up.
With me being involved with our pay talks i just couldn’t understand when the gaffa said…
for that increase i would have to take £2 off the drivers night out allowance.
I thought WHY would you want to do that? If you can claim monies back.
Oh well back to the drawing Board
Thanks.

AssurableAnimal:
With me being involved with our pay talks i just couldn’t understand when the gaffa said…
for that increase i would have to take £2 off the drivers night out allowance.
I thought WHY would you want to do that? If you can claim monies back.

He doesn’t claim the money back, it would be a business expense and just like fuel, parts, tyres or anything else he spends out for the business its not profit so he doesn’t pay tax on that amount. No one actually gives him the money back.

The current nationally agreed rate is £26.20 for drivers with sleeper cabs and £34.90 for drivers with non-sleeper cabs and it didn’t change last year. any changes usually happen in April each year. That’s the maximum HMRC will accept without receipts but companies can agree a different rate with HMRC and pay more, there is often a higher rate agreed for international transport where drivers have things such as exchange rates to deal with or pay for more showers per day due to warmer weather. Companies can pay less than the national rate, it’s not a legal requirement to pay the agreed national rate as that is only a guideline.

Of course a lot of companies pull a fast one and get the driver to pay one of their expenses, parking the vehicle, out of the driver’s subsistence money. That increase the companies profits as instead of paying night out money and parking they pay one thing and get the daft driver to pay the other out of that money.

Night out money is to cover personal expenses incurred by the driver in the course of his employment, parking isn’t a personal expense, and also isn’t anything to do with compensation for being away from home as many an RDC waiting room driver would have you believe.

Coffeeholic refers to companys pulling a fast one by letting drivers think parking the lorry is one of the drivers expenses,to be paid out of his night out money.
I believe the HMRC quote examples of legitimate overnight expences, e.g. evening meal,breakfast and the upkeep and replacement of bedding ?
There was/is a truck stop in Scotland,that charged something like £5 for parking,£6 for parking+shower,£12 for parking+shower +evening meal,£18 for parking+shower+evening meal+breakfast,£20 for parking+shower+evening meal+breakfast+a pint in the bar.The receipt of course showed any of the charges as " parking ".
Taking in to account the driver has already been paid via his night out money for his meals etc,is the driver pulling a fast one if he hands in a £20 ticket ?
Not judging,just interested in views on this.
Regards. John.
P.S. I went for the £12 option :wink:

The exact amount allowable is £26.18 (£26. 17.5p rounded up), this being 75% of £34.90.

HMRC manuals here

hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM66110.htm

hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM66105.htm

Thanks for all your reply’s
Looks like i’d better ask for a good increase then :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Still as Stubborn I c

Whatever we pay out we get back and get £27 for stopping out but if on the off chance I’m out in a day cab rigid on a night out work pay for the hotel on a credit card.

As said work don’t have to pay night out money but if they didn’t drivers wouldn’t do any.

Thongbird:
Howdy Assurablanimal

Bingo! You’ve found yer man. Good luck. :smiley:

the maoster:

Thongbird:
Howdy Assurablanimal

Bingo! You’ve found yer man. Good luck. :smiley:

What a coincidence. :unamused:

Just seen this advert stating - You will be starting around 4am every morning delivering building products to building sites/distributors/builders merchants. The work will involve at least 3-4 nights out a week (will be allowed to sleep in the depot unpaid if nighting out in the yard- if driver does not wish to travel home for the night).

mastesallan:
Just seen this advert stating - You will be starting around 4am every morning delivering building products to building sites/distributors/builders merchants. The work will involve at least 3-4 nights out a week (will be allowed to sleep in the depot unpaid if nighting out in the yard- if driver does not wish to travel home for the night).

What you confused about, all the firm is saying, is that your vehicle will be available for your use overnight, whether at base or away.