Nights Out

I am hopefully starting a new position shortly that may or may not involve nights out, and I was wondering, what is the going rate now, 6 years ago I use to get £17.50 per night, has that changed ? what do you get if you dont mind me asking.

Things havent changed that much. I think what people would call reasonable is around the £22 mark.

I have never topped £18 for nights out.

I get £24 in the Uk and £29 if I am across the water

daleyboy:

Is there tax to pay on that ?

We managed to squeeze £30 out our guy but in defence only do the odd night out !

hptruck:

daleyboy:

Is there tax to pay on that ?

Nope. You can get upto £32 a night before you have to pay tax. Well that’s what I was told by a firm I used to work for that paid that much for nights out.

The night out rate agreed with the revenue for year ending 31 December 2008 was £29.85, I’m not sure of the current agreed rate but it usually goes up around a quid each year. If you have a sleeper cab you only get 75% of that paid tax free, in 2008 that was £22.39. That is for personal expenses incurred by the employee in connection with the employers business so it isn’t for parking fees for the vehicle. If you pay the parking out of your night out money you could technically be liable to pay tax on that money as it isn’t a personal expense so it shouldn’t be paid to you tax free. The fact you have chosen to help out the boss by paying some of his business expenses doesn’t mean you can claim that money back from the revenue, claim it as tax free or deduct it as a business expense.

The tax free night out money amount always used to be determined by your companies local area tax office and could vary across the country, god knows why. I assume its still that way now?

daleyboy:

£24.- here where you pay for parking,and £29.- where parking is free :question:
In 2002 i got £15.- and had to pay parking myselfe. So i set the Speed to Maximum and was at end of Shift at Home :exclamation:
Well,Company said they don’t want it as to many Lorry parked around Yard,and other Driver called it unsocial as they wouldn’t get the £15.- anymore.
But i had so more,as i had a Shift of 16 Hour,and Night Out got just paid with 12 Hour.
I had next Day my 12 Hour as well,and other had 12 Hour too,which gave me 4 Hour more Pay,with eating and sleeping at Home.
I don’t think im wrong,as i got once with all Overtime £944.- before Tax

Lovelyperson:

daleyboy:

£24.- here where you pay for parking,and £29.- where parking is free :question:

Yeah dont ask me thats just how it works. It is very rare i have a night out in the UK, it generally only happens when i am loading late and cant get across in my shift, then i park in folkstone where we have a account.

I refuse point blank to pay to park in msas in this country, there are enough truckstops and safeish parking spots on the routes that i use that i never struggle for parking. Even though the boss pays it is still robbery.