Off Road Driving!

Just a quick question :laughing:

Heres an example of my usual start of shift

6:00 – 6:15 – OW – ( Truck Checks etc ) = 15 mins
6:15 – 6:25 – DR – ( Drive to Trailer yard ) = 10 mins
6:25 – 7:00 – OW – ( Picking up trailer ) = 35 mins
7:00 – 9:00 – DR – ( Drive to Customer ) = 120 mins

Sometimes the trailer can be burried behind a few others so you need to move those first, and this can add time onto your drive time on tacho, ( lets say 15 mins )

So my question is " When I get to the customer is my drivetime 130mins or 145mins ■■ "

Hope this is clear :laughing:

Your driving time is whatever the digi says it is

Bit more difficult with analogue so note all the time that the wheels are not actually moving then deduct that off the total time which then leaves the driving time

Tachos only record driving time when the vehicle is moving

As far as I am aware ALL driving counts, wether on or off road.(unless possibly you never go on the road at all)
So I would say in your example 145 mins

I agree with del949. 145 mins driving!

There’s been no offroad driving for 3 years or so. It was a pain for tipper drivers at first especially when running to large landfills or pipeline jobs where you had a good 5 or 10 min drive to the tipping point.

if the entire trip occurs off road then it doesn’t count as driving. ie pick trailer up in trailer park, drive to put in on a bay or whatever without going on a road, pull off bay and park it up without going on road, zero time spent driving.

i’d say there’s a argument that your driving time starts once you pick up your trailer and all the shunting about doesn’t count. but unless you delivered something driving to the trailer pick could count.

dft.gov.uk/pgr/freight/road/ … sgoods.pdf
Note: Driving time includes any off-road parts of a journey where the rest of that journey is made on
the public highway. Journeys taking place entirely off road would be considered as ’other work’.

So, for example, any time spent driving off road between a parking/rest area and a loading bay prior to
travelling on a public road would constitute driving time, but it would be regarded as other work where
an entire load is picked up and deposited on the same off-road site.

stevie

Same for us on Hooklifters, arriving with mt bin, drop bin, pull off loaded bin move it out the way, pick up mt bin, put in loaded bins place, pick up full bin and off to tip it. Used to count as off road driving, even on private land and farms but vosa don’t recognise it. Driving is driving wether on private land or on the road. We used to be able to deduct off road driving by selecting out of scope mode on digi tachos. But vosa doesn’t allow it. Court case still pending (not mine) :smiley:

Muckaway:
There’s been no offroad driving for 3 years or so.

Nearly 4 years, 11th April 2007. Doesn’t time fly by when your having fun? :stuck_out_tongue:

At least it means I can stop earlier :smiley: