public roads

been told today driving time is only counted on public roads, so been told to take my digi card out at gate and put trailer, truck away without one in, been told it will knock my driving time down, is it correct only driving time counts on public roads :question: read my book and it does say that but not sure it means you can drive round without card in.

The digi card, or tacho chart, is not just there to record driving time, it’s to record a complete record of your work. Taking it out at the gate is illegal as you are still working after you go through the gate and by taking it out at the gate would make it appear you had finished work before you actually did. How much driving time would it save you anyway, your yard can’t be that big? :wink: :smiley:

See question 34 on this link, looks like you need to read the manual for your digi tacho and it should have a way of marking the driving in the yard as other work instead of driving.

Paul

whilst you can record your off road driving using the ‘out of scope’ setting on a digital tacho, remember it will still record driving as driving, wherever it is performed and will total all driving during any given day.

On April 11th 2007 the off road driving thing goes out of the window. All driving will now count if you drive for any period, no matter how small, on a road.

geebee45:
On April 11th 2007 the off road driving thing goes out of the window. All driving will now count if you drive for any period, no matter how small, on a road.[/quote

Just to pick you up on that, do you mean on a road or ‘anywhere’.

Mike-C said

Just to pick you up on that, do you mean on a road or ‘anywhere’

Having reread my post, I could have made it a lot clearer; so I’ll have another go;
from 11th April 2007 if you drive on a road during a day, then all of your driving that day, whether on or ‘off road’ will be counted towards the 4.5, 9 or 10 hour driving limits.
If you don’t drive on a road during a day eg; you spend the day shunting around the yard, then that time will count as work (crossed hammers) rather than driving.