Driving Time Query

Pin your ears back, it’s stupid question time!

So, from when you first turn the wheels, you’ve got a maximum of 4h30m before you need to take a Driving Break of 45m (let’s ignore split breaks for simplicity).

Now, your tacho tells you your drive time as “wheels turning time” right? Every time you stop, it reverts to Other Work.

The way I thought it was is this:

First time you turn the wheels, the clock starts running on the 4h30m period… and it keeps running no matter how much actual moving down the road your doing?

e.g. Leave the yard, 10mins later you hit a traffic jam and sit still for 2h20m.

Your tacho will say you’ve driven for 10m… but in reality, you now have 4h30m - 10m - 2h20m = 2h of time left before you have to begin your 45m driving break.

Have I taken a firm grasp of the smelly end of the stick, or have I got this right?

In that scenario you have 4hrs 20 mins driving time left. If you have sat still for 2hr 20mins then you haven’t been driving, the tacho would have recorded other work. You could record a break during this time or even POA if you knew how long the accident would take to clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not quite, General. The tacho will record what the truck is doing, so if the wheels are turning it will record that. When you’re sat still in traffic it will record other work. In chunks of one minute at a time. So as long as you are stationary, you’re not running down your driving-time “allowance”.
But for WTD regs, you being sat in traffic stills counts as “Working Time”. If you push the cursor key (four direction selector) on your tacho downwards, it will give you a readout of your activity, including how much time you’ve been doing the various activities. Lots of vids on YouTube are helpful with this.
Hope that helps a little.

LOL, so basically it’s a good job I’m wearing gloves, eh? :laughing:

Ok, so the counter on Working Time starts ticking when you begin your shift, and it don’t stop no matter what you’re doing (unless you’re on break/POA), I’m happy with that.

Driving Time = ■■■■■■■■■■ wheels turning time. If they aren’t turning, you’re only racking up Working Time.

Thanks!!!

You could set the tacho to break if sat in traffic for 2+ hours then you are not racking up working time