Not what you want to hear!

Plenty of people have that opinion of Ernie Dalby but he is self made and built the firm out of his own graft, never worked for the man so you could be right, :wink:

Ernie/Eric (brothers??) has done well I admit; i’m not actually saying that being ‘tight as’ is a bad thing if it means his business has survived when others have failed.

I haven’t worked directly for him neither but I knew a few people who did when I was living in Melton Mowbray. The company I was driving for at the time used to tip in Petfoods often and it was his own drivers and warehouse staff who used to say how ‘economical’ he ran his business! :wink:

Truckyboy - What shipping line is the container from? If it’s Short Sea (eg. ECS, Geest etc) then you’ll have to do the pump truck thing. But if it’s Deep Sea (Maersk, K-Line, Cosco, Hapag, P&O, etc.) then you’ll get off the hook if it’s handball. If it’s pallets you might be able to pull the “Deep Sea Container - not insured to get in it” line, too…but a load of us did that with a K-Line job at Lidl at S.Elmsall and lost our firm the contract (it was with the boss’s backing, mind, he didn’t really want the job either - spot hire so no major impact) so be careful with that one. If it’s handball, however, you are within your rights to refuse, so fingers crossed and enjoy the kip! :wink:

smcaul:
I have just got on a bay at wincanton’s corby, they have just said it may take 8 hours to tip a 20ft container, the reason is low morale! what abot my pigging morale. just have to sit here and hope that their estimate is wrong. :cry:

i would have flipped. i havent done containers but 8 hours is not on. after 3 i would have been in the office demanding to know what the hold up is. i had a 3 hour wait a couple of weeks ago in salisbury and hit the roof at that. i told the forkie that i wouldnt wait forever. i was in and gone within 45 minutes :laughing:

scanny77:

smcaul:
I have just got on a bay at wincanton’s corby, they have just said it may take 8 hours to tip a 20ft container, the reason is low morale! what abot my pigging morale. just have to sit here and hope that their estimate is wrong. :cry:

i would have flipped. i havent done containers but 8 hours is not on. after 3 i would have been in the office demanding to know what the hold up is. i had a 3 hour wait a couple of weeks ago in salisbury and hit the roof at that. i told the forkie that i wouldnt wait forever. i was in and gone within 45 minutes :laughing:

2 to 4 hours is quite normal on boxes and I expect at least 2, if I get out any quicker then 2 hours then it is normally a minor miracle, but being told by the gatehouse on your way in that you will be looking at 8 hours, then to be told by the office bod that they allow up to 24 hours to tip a box is when I start to question things.

they allow up to 24 hours to tip a box is when I start to question things.

what if u are in a day cab.
not often these days but does happen.

bigandy:

they allow up to 24 hours to tip a box is when I start to question things.

what if u are in a day cab.
not often these days but does happen.

I only do days anyway, the fact I was in a Merc Mega space just made the 6 hours more comfortable, but it is their attiude that gets me, like we should all have to be able to stay somewhere for 24hrs just because they can’t get their act together.

smcaul:

scanny77:

smcaul:

2 to 4 hours is quite normal on boxes and I expect at least 2, if I get out any quicker then 2 hours then it is normally a minor miracle, but being told by the gatehouse on your way in that you will be looking at 8 hours, then to be told by the office bod that they allow up to 24 hours to tip a box is when I start to question things.

with regards to the one i did in salisbury, i only had 3 pallets for him. i would obviously allow longer for a full load etc although i do get annoyed with 3663 in banbury. last time i was there, i had half a pallet and it took over 3 hours :smiling_imp:

smcaul:
Well, It took them the grand total of 6 hours. That was 7 blokes (most of the time, went up to 9 on occasion)

HOW LONG? When I was driving for Geopost, the York Parceline depot could empty a full 40ft double deck trailer of loose parcels INCLUDING laying stuff out in delivery order in just over an hour.

truckyboy:
I got a container tomorrow (friday)…Lidl at weston super duper mare…only problem is…last time i tipped at lidl…i had to unload myself…but that was in a fridge…and only a few pallets…i got 26 this time…how do they get away with that …considering every other company has to have a fork lift licence …seems drivers are exempt …i supose so long as i have my hi-viz on its ok

Netto have a similar policy
they TOLD me to put the pallets in neat lines, so 26 pallets later scattered around the area close to the dock leveller, empties back on & Im finished. they went ballistic, and where complaining, my answer was "theyre off my trailer, and in YOUR warehouse mate, you move em"
Dont think Ill be welcome there again :wink:

peirre:
they TOLD me to put the pallets in neat lines, so 26 pallets later scattered around the area close to the dock leveller, empties back on & Im finished. they went ballistic, and where complaining, my answer was "theyre off my trailer, and in YOUR warehouse mate, you move em"

:laughing: :laughing: nice one! i was a bit craftier i put them in a nice line, but every pallet was busted on the bottom i was garbage on the electice truck, its a good job i could lean them into each other they didnt notice!

Mal:

peirre:

:laughing: :laughing: nice one! i was a bit craftier i put them in a nice line, but every pallet was busted on the bottom i was garbage on the electice truck, its a good job i could lean them into each other they didnt notice!

so im not the only vindictive person here then? :laughing:
i wholeheartedly agree with this type of action. if they expect us to do everything ourselves then we should give them something to keep them occupied after our departure :smiling_imp:

scanny77:
so im not the only vindictive person here then? :laughing:

not by a long shot i wouldnt think! :laughing: :laughing:

I was banned from Netto Sth Elmsall, nearly got banned from the Reading depot as well, but as I was delivering for them they thought better of it :laughing: :laughing: We used to have to unload our mt’s into a specific area, but I got fed up with that so used to just dump them, was a long battle, but they learnt in the end :laughing: :laughing:

Just on the subject of self tipping…what about insurance against accidents? If you have to tip your own load on another company’s premises and you have a nasty accident, who accepts responsibility? I heard of a delivery driver at Lidl who broke his ankle by squashing it between a wall and an electric pallet truck. Neither his own company nor Lidl would pay him. He lost 6 months work!! :frowning: :frowning:

The trouble is, Mirrorman, at Lidl (I have done the WSM and Bridgend ones), when you sign in, you sign the sheet stating whether you need training on the electric truck. If you put no, then it’s down to you if you get hurt :frowning:

simple tip put no you need training everytime you go there and ask for some official paper work and retain a copy that you have been trained