nights v days

got chance of a new job delivering to wholesale markets troughout uk keen on taking it but never done nights.At moment working for somerfields startinging 0300 and am not sure how to adapt to nights whats the fors and against nights , a big plus is the kit that i would be geting xf ssc compared to my fm no contest :slight_smile:

At the mo a big plus must be running in the cool…

But there again you’ll be sleeping in the heat. :cry:

I like nights but horses for courses. Less hassle from the powers to be and less traffic, but if it includes fri/sat then not so keen.

I’d say give it a try you can always go back. Besides a 3am start is nights in my book

Btw, how’s thing’s going at Somerfields? I enjoyed working out of Ross a couple of years back.

If you’re prepared to start at 3am, I don’t think you’ll have to much trouble getting used to it.

I love nights - less traffic (except tonight on the M5!) and IME a nicer class of drivers. It is cooler in this weather, but I still have the aircon on - 20C last night at 3.30. The downside is that the radio is crap for a lot of the time so keep a good stock of tapes/CDs with you. Once you get a pattern sleeping isn’t a problem - I find the M50 is good for a 20 minute power nap :laughing: 3 a.m. is nights really so not too much of a change I’d have thought.
Keep a look out for sleepy drivers - they wander all over the road and there’s quite a few about. I keep a kettle and coffee in the cab and make sure I’m wide awake - stop for a kip if you need to.
Best bit of all is going for a breakfast pint on a Saurday night - by midnight everyone else is flagging - I’m just getting going :laughing: :laughing:
Give it a try - nightime is the rightime :wink:

dont forget your money to pay the forklift drivers at the wholesalers… :open_mouth:

we are not going to start that arguement again. :smiling_imp:

i cant even remember who that was. :question:

nightime is the rightime

I seem to remember that being said on a R2 programme…

I personally am not nocternal,insofar as I couldn’t start at 6pm,and finish at 6am,but can start a shift at 2-3am,no problem.

Ken.

RS005D1136:
got chance of a new job delivering to wholesale markets troughout uk keen on taking it but never done nights.At moment working for somerfields startinging 0300 and am not sure how to adapt to nights whats the fors and against nights , a big plus is the kit that i would be geting xf ssc compared to my fm no contest :slight_smile:

Pros:

Quiet roads
Cool evenings.
Time to do stuff during the day whilst shops are still open.
More money.

Cons:
Nobody to phone if there’s a problem.
Tyre/breakdown people take even longer to arrive.
Takes an age to get used to the sleep pattern.
Everything wakes you up.
Your social life goes to hell.
If you’ve got kids, get used to sleep depravation on a weekend, especially Saturday.

Nights are at their best if you get an early finish on a Saturday morning, say around 3-4, then at least you get some sleep before the family wake up.

Ive been on nights for 3 years and Conor has got most of it right but maybe it needs elaborated a bit more.

Driving is too easy on nights i have persoanlly been on the M25 at close to midnight on a Friday night and have actually thought everyone else on the planet has died and i am the only one left, a true experiance i kid you not there was NOONE on the motorway for a good 30 minutes in each direction.

I was on day shift a few weeks ago more to help out and show willing than actually to want to go on days, what i couldnt believe was the queues to get on and off slip roads A1/M18 M62Jct26 and that nightmare on the 62 where the M60 starts whats that all about?, where do they all come from at that time in the morning?, an absolute nightmare for a night man.

If you are on the road at night and there is an accident it seems to clear itself and if theres a filter from 3 lanes to 1 it just goes in to it all nice and smooth EVEN if Mr BMW with fog lights on decides hes getting to the front no matter what its still ok and doesnt seem to have much effect on me and the other 3 people trying to filter in to one lane.

The experiance of driving is excellent on nights a bit like having a golf course all to yourself if you know what i mean.

As for the sleeping thing it depends what kind of sleeper you are and where you live, I have just moved in to a new house right beside the Midland Mainline and theres trains going by every 15 minutes or so, theres a new housing estate being put up near me but funnily enough i dont hear the trains often i dont hear the builders often BUT what i do hear is the â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  reversing bleepers on the fork lifts and the lorries delivering bricks, I generally get home for about 1a.m. to 5 a.m.so i manage to get to sleep before the kids get up and they have learnt by now that if they wake me they are going on Ebay (please dont tell them i cant its working for me at the minute).

When you are delivering to places the top management dont seem to be about when you get there always a good thing.

I started using earplugs little foam ones you push in your ears and they seem to work well for me.

As Conor says your social life becomes non existent but if your getting up at 2/3 a.m. its not going to be that good anyway is it?.

I would find it a major problem to go on days after having it so easy on nights yes there are drawbacks sleep patterns etc etc but for me i love it.

It also depends what you call nights?. 18:00 start to 3/4/5 A.M. is nights for me 22/23:00 start is probably more what people would call nights but i wouldnt like to be starting at that time of night and finishing at 8/9 a.m. all them selfish â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  going to work in the morning ruch hour would get in my way!!!..

RS give it a go for a while providing you can get some sleep in daylight hours you will be far less tired and stressed due to the traffic or lack of it.

I just quit my night job yesterday! I got tired of driving while tired shame cos it was a decent job with decent gaffers and that’s a rarity! When I took the job on I was in two minds cos it was nights and I’d promised myself i was finished with them but it was a good offer…But that’s it this time,no more… :cry:

thanks for the replys am going to give it a go am out with another driver sunday 1900 got birmingham, manchester, preston, and stoke havnt handed notice in see what its like first

the answer to your question steve is its still easy work at somerfield but management spoil the job

another one for evenings, i do 17.30 to 00.00, to me there the ideal hours you dont have to get up in the morn and your sleeping at same time as every one else, if you get up like me at 7.30 youve got all day to get all your bits and bobs done so youve got nothing to do at weekend :smiley: .the only down side is listening to the mrs whining on about me working part/time and her working full time :wink:

If it’s motorway work then it has to be nights basically because of all the wagon driving [zb] through the day… If its back road/off motorway work then I prefer days. :slight_smile:

Nights work for me .Sometimes if i have broken down or had a tyre go i manage to catch the start of rush hour :open_mouth: culture shock , i want to pull into the hard shoulder curl into a ball on the bunk and rock myself to sleep chanting " the nasty drivers will go away the nasty drivers will go away "

:laughing:

if god wanted us to work at night HE would have called it day

RS005D1136:

first at all:
night is darkness,and you sahall have a white soul as Black Magic works in Night too
then think.By working between 00.00 and 04.00 you are nightworker

i am now running nights, and it is much easyer!!
i find sleeping days not too much of a problem as i could sleep on the clothes line :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
only hastle at the minute is the school hols and all the world seems to be hitting the autoroutes on friday nights and the class 4 (artics paying with cards) lanes are reduced down to 2 or 3 from 4 or 5 and there is still the same number of wagons on the roads, and the coach drivers dont help our cause as they go through the class 4 lane even though it costs more!!!
the mrs is giving me grief about not getting to spend much time with me but what can i do when it is the only job i could get…
so the choice is yours!!
salut
chris

Make sure you take plenty of cd`s mostly heavy rock
Then when you you see the BLACK DOG!!!
you will be able to wind the window down, and turn the volume up full.
:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

I love nights :smiley: :smiley:

I think nights are ok but they eventually get to me and I have to have a break.

The boffins who tell us things say that the worst punishment a body can get is shifts where you are constantly changing from days to nights and then early mornings. I agree with that. I had a contract once when I ran the continent which meant one day I would be up at stupid o’clock and then run till afternoon ,trying to sleep at 5pm is a bummer in the heat. Then it would change because of a screwed load and it would be nights then back again…tired me out and I felt shellshocked after a couple of months and had to pack it in.

Nights are ok if you can get in early enough say 3/4 am, then you can get up at midday and have some sort of a life. mind you days are not that clever when you are running long cards. finish at 9pm up at 4 or 5 means all work and no play (and no beer either)

thanks for replys i have decided to give it a go went out sunday 2 drops manchester 2 drops preston wigan and liverpool reloaded in birmingham 13 hrs worked tough going but that was a busy night so the other driver said all drops were to wholesale markets that was fun looking for forklift to use then tiping the owner couple of quid :confused: but its all part of the game so they say