Night Shift

I’ve been rebooked for next week at Royal Mail but this time its a night shift. Start @5pm, not worked nights driving so I’m open to suggestions and advice on how to get things done. All offers of help will be gratefully accepted. Some places that I’ve been to this week were tight enough to get in during daylight and will be most interesting to get into if I get them at night.

Some people are not suited to night work as it can mess up their sleep patterns so much that they are too tired to drive. If this happens then choose the safe option and do not drive - no point in putting yourslef and others at risk.

Sleeping in the day - make room as dark as possible - full blackout if possible as you need to fool your body into thinking that it is night.

On the day of the first night shift - get up early so a good nap can be taken as late as possible before going to work.

Choose the time of day carefully when you want to go to bed - no point trying to get to sleep if the kids are screaming !!!

I hope you are suited to night work and are able to enjoy it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Paul-H:
Some places that I’ve been to this week were tight enough to get in during daylight and will be most interesting to get into if I get them at night.

One possible advantage at night - use the reflections from your own lights/hazards to help as a guide

looking at the shift pattern I should be home by 1-1:30am, so a nights sleep and a ‘lie in’ hopefully will give me enough time to make sure I’m ok to drive. The agency knows that I’m not that keen on doing nights but I thought I’d give it a go and see what happens. Also a few extra quid per hour will help to ease the agony. :grimacing: If Heathrow crops up then there seems to be enough lighting to give me a hand and four ways will come in handy when reversing.

Done a few days so far and to be honest, never again. Not that I mind getting paid for nothing but the boredom is unreal. So far I’ve done about 1.5 hours driving and most tasks seem to be to couple up a unit with a trailer and go and collect empties from airlines. Got two more ‘nights’ and then we’ll have to see. Would much rather do days as at least you get a chance to drive a bit more than 21km in one go. No complains about having work but give me something to do, tonight should be interesting as the strikes have been called off and no one knows what will happen. Yesterday there were 7 of us sitting around discussing the wonders of the world and pouncing on every available newspaper that came into the rest area.

Wonders will never cease, I actually managed to do a Night’s work last night. When I arrived @ 17:00 I was given a nice and almost new Volvo FM Euro 5 and told to find a trailer have it loaded and then deliver the contents to Bristol. Cracking night with all that rain but am enjoyable journey. Got to admit that the Volvo is a pleasure to drive. However the prices of tea & M&S rest stops is another matter, £1.99 for a cuppa. Had thoughts about a full english but saw the price and the hunger somehow dissapeared. Back in the depot @01:30 and home in bed by 02:00.

It’s quite easy to get far too comfortable in those volvos, isn’t it?

It sure is, the only problem was that yesterday was my official last night on the night shift so me and 6 others sat around till midnight and picked our noses. No news from the agency if I’m there again this week.

supprised no one told you to take a flask , service station prices are rip off but on a night its your only choice .

Paul-H:
It sure is, the only problem was that yesterday was my official last night on the night shift so me and 6 others sat around till midnight and picked our noses. No news from the agency if I’m there again this week.

Which office are you working out from, HWDC in Langley?

All from Langley, had a week on 12 hour shifts, today was the ‘friday’ driving between PRDC & United Airlines delivering mail

Paul-H:
Wonders will never cease, I actually managed to do a Night’s work last night. When I arrived @ 17:00 I was given a nice and almost new Volvo FM Euro 5 and told to find a trailer have it loaded and then deliver the contents to Bristol. Cracking night with all that rain but am enjoyable journey. Got to admit that the Volvo is a pleasure to drive. However the prices of tea & M&S rest stops is another matter, £1.99 for a cuppa. Had thoughts about a full english but saw the price and the hunger somehow dissapeared. Back in the depot @01:30 and home in bed by 02:00.

Good for you!!
But thats not a real night shift,i used to have some very funny start times on White Arrow Express,start at 2000 finish 0800, or start at 2345 finish at 0900… The worst time of the shift is always between 0400-0600 when your body just wants to sleep! but radio on loud and windows wide open soon wakes you up :wink: and plenty of black coffee!!! :smiley:

Been booked for this duty till Christmas, PRDC & UA.12 hour shifts and 4 on 4 off. Don’t mind, getting all the exp that I can driving and delivering to the Horseshue. The best thing is that a bay or two have been permanently reserved for us so no waiting.

I do permanent nights Monday to Friday one hit and home no waiting, in tip and away.So times i just tip the beauty of tippers in out 20mins, if i have to blow the load into a silo hour and half.Out the gate into layby 1 hour break company rules kip 45mins then crack the flask open then back to yard fill up and go home easy as

Paul-H:
All from Langley, had a week on 12 hour shifts, today was the ‘friday’ driving between PRDC & United Airlines delivering mail

I temped there from mid October until mid November and it ranks very low compared to all other places where I have done class 1 work mainly due to disorganization at the Transport Office. The late shift Transport office staff and dispatch were the worst culprits.

I’m happier doing temp multidrop at Parcelforce at £6.50 /hr, nearly half what I was on a HWDC, until something better pops up as I have a few assesment drives lined up. Manpower Slough who sent me there were just as bad as the HWDC staff.

Atleast now you have a duty of your own till x-mas which means lower the chances of getting into conflict but that said they do love asking for favours :laughing: . Just hang on in there if you can put up with it as it’s very tough in the job market at the moment with x-mas freakingly near. Plus you might just land yourself a permanent job there lol.

Stock up on the old modafinil - it’s what helicopter pilots take to keep them alert when they’ve got a long run on :slight_smile: