Night working hours?!

i’m brand new to this board so hello to everyone. i’m hoping someone can clear up some confusion regarding my position. i work regular nights,starting at 10,doing the same run & have done so for about a year now. i have recently been informed that i can only work 10 hrs in a 24 hr period. i understand that i can only WORK 10 hrs a night but have never been close to doing so.the confusion lies here-when i finish in a morning i’m told to go back 24hrs from when i take my taco out to my last tacograph & add any hours from that chart to the last shift i did- eg;i do average 9 1/2 hrs a night,inc poa & breaks & lets say i take my chart out at 7.30. the day before i finish at 8.30 i go back 24hrs & have to add the hour upto 8.30 onto my last shift as it’s in that 24hr period.is this right? i can’t possibly work out my hours until i’m back at base & finished as i can’t guarantee that i won’t be held up someway.i’ve looked on the net for a answer but all i seem to find is the 10 hrs work rule.any help/advice would be great here,Roy.

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome roymoz :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

roymoz:
i have recently been informed that i can only work 10 hrs in a 24 hr period

That is correct unless you have a collective agreement to opt out of the 10 hour night rule.

roymoz:
i understand that i can only WORK 10 hrs a night but have never been close to doing so.the confusion lies here-when i finish in a morning i’m told to go back 24hrs from when i take my taco out to my last tacograph & add any hours from that chart to the last shift i did

Lets say you started at 2000 on your last shift - the 24 hour WORK (driving & other work) starts at that point.
This shift you start at 1900 - AH !! - a question you must ask yourself - from 2000 on the last shift to 2000 on this shift will I have exceeded 10 hours WORK? - if no then it’s OK

does that help?

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

In addition to Rogers 100% reply, I would like to add that it is WORKING TIME, not DUTY TIME so that 10 hours does not include breaks or PoA periods.

thanks guys! thats a great help.last night i put my chart in at 2330 & ended up doing 8.25 hrs work so i can start just after 10,to be on the safe side! the bit about planning ahead does’nt matter then? say i do 8 1/2 hrs work tonight from 2215 then i can start friday night at 2145.have i got that right?

roymoz:
say i do 8 1/2 hrs work tonight from 2215 then i can start friday night at 2145.have i got that right?

2045 …or earlier if the first 1.5 hours is not all WORK

sorry rog, i meant 2045.thankyou.