Anyone work nights?

Got an interview tomorrow for a night job Mon-Fri. Not done nights before bar the odd one or two but a job is a job and although agency is keeping me busy there is a lot of crap multi drop work at the minute and I would prefer to be knowing what I am doing in the security of a proper job in stead of waiting for a call each day to tell me where I am working.
Is there anything I should be aware of with hours? I know there is a rule about starting between 0000 and 0400? saying you cant work longer then 10 hours but I dont know what start times are yet.
Do night drivers get more money then day workers?
And how do you turn your body clock round to be awake all night instead of all day?

I work nights mate and have done now for 14/15 months, to start with it is a TOTAL head ■■■■. However after a couple of weeks of being in the swing of things, it’ll be almost natural.

The only thing that gets me is finishing at around 9am ish on a Saturday morning, sometimes in the past I’ve got home, not been able to grab a couple of hours sleep to “kick me round to normal sleeping” and ended up going sleep at say 3/4pm and sleeping through until 2am Sunday morning by which time you are then up dead early and your Sunday is going to be ■■■■■■ :frowning:

Theoretically yes you should be on more than day workers by default that you are working what are class as anti social hours, however in reality depend who you are on for, you might not get much more than the day drivers :frowning:

If you need any more info pm me or get back to me on this.

P.S Buy some ear plugs and a blackout mask for the first few weeks of night work to help get you to sleep :wink:

Night driving is brutal, buy some audio books because you will go insane! Night drivers usually get an extra couple of quid more than day drivers.

I did nights for a short while, my front door bell starts ringing one morning, someone is holding their finger on the doorbell more like :angry: go downstairs to answer WTF do yo want i shout. ‘‘We left a catalogue here last week we’re here to collect it’’

So you get grouchy and nobody gives 2 ■■■■■ you’re trying to sleep during the day.

Another bonus of working nights, is you have less tossers on the road to deal with at night :wink:

Hmm, got 2 kids and a baby here to keep me up during the day I guess they wont wake me up more then once :smiley:
I dont know if I like the idea or not yet but as I have never done it full time I will reserve judgement and I might not even get the job yet. I dont mind giving it a good go and seeing how it goes can always look elsewhere if I dont like it. Can imagine the peace on the roa at night is bliss :laughing:

i find it easier 2 sleep during the day if i stay up the night b4 i start. then in tired enough 2 sleep during the day and am ok 4 the 1st shift. red bull helps but not 2 much. warning tho. some people just cant do nights. if you are 1 of these people dont leave it 2 long to give up.

When you’re driving nights, particularly if you’re doing a boring trunk run you need your sleep and that’s the hardest part of the job. You’ll find no end of things to wake you and in the winter you’ll find yourself going to bed when it’s dark and getting up when it’s dark! Many of your weekends will be a write-off as you’ll be knackered through lack of sleep. The extra dosh you get won’t be worth the bother frankly. But you’re going to do it anyway so why ask us? :grimacing:

Just asking to get an opinion thats all :stuck_out_tongue:
I am waiting to hear from a day job tomorrow hopefully before the interview as I would rather start at 6am every day with a couple of nights away then the idea of nights but I need a job and if I am offered both I will look at the difference in money Vs the lifestyle. Money isnt everything but with the mrs on maternity leave without pay from end of sept I need to get a job :smiley:
I have been in touch with over 100 firms in notts/derby area and offered one so far on really crap money. Class 2 hiab work £6.85 hour no o/t rate 50 hours a week and he still cant fill it as its been posted on job centre site twice in 2 weeks :smiley: Other then that I have knocked on a few doors and sent loads of CV’s off and and not heard owt so when I was invited to this interview I was quite chuffed as they arent advertising it came up when I rang. Got another interview on Wed to at Alegro in alfreton so hopefully out of the 3 I will get a job from one of em :laughing:

OllieNotts:
I am waiting to hear from a day job tomorrow hopefully before the interview as I would rather start at 6am every day with a couple of nights away then the idea of nights but I need a job and if I am offered both I will look at the difference in money Vs the lifestyle. Money isnt everything but with the mrs on maternity leave without pay from end of sept I need to get a job :smiley:
I have been in touch with over 100 firms in notts/derby area and offered one so far on really crap money. Class 2 hiab work £6.85 hour no o/t rate 50 hours a week and he still cant fill it as its been posted on job centre site twice in 2 weeks :smiley: Other then that I have knocked on a few doors and sent loads of CV’s off and and not heard owt so when I was invited to this interview I was quite chuffed as they arent advertising it came up when I rang. Got another interview on Wed to at Alegro in alfreton so hopefully out of the 3 I will get a job from one of em :laughing:

Would you not be better taking the crap paying job and getting topped up with tax credits or whatever?

i did nights for 5 years was great being a single dad could pick kids up from school when the x let me have them caught up on sleep at rdcs :laughing: then got a late starting job on nights was great till the start time got to late so i went on to days but i did enjoy it but missed me weekends so i wouldnt like to say which i prefer they both have there good and bad points :wink: :wink: :wink:

OllieNotts:
Is there anything I should be aware of with hours? I know there is a rule about starting between 0000 and 0400? saying you cant work longer then 10 hours but I dont know what start times are yet.
Do night drivers get more money then day workers?
And how do you turn your body clock round to be awake all night instead of all day?

Its ANY WORK between 0000-0400, not start time. And its 10hrs work which doesn’t include breaks or PoA and even then, it doesn’t apply if there’s a workplace agreement.

Some firms pay more for nights, not all.

There is no quick way to turn your body clock around.

If you’ve a family, its ■■■■ if you finish later than 4am on Sat morning as the house gets you up by 9-10am. I used to finish at 7am and after a year of getting either no sleep on Saturday mornings or very little, I packed in a £37000 job because it was making me ill. The last job I had in trucking finished at 3am on a Saturday morning and I never had any issues at all with it.

44 Tonne Ton:

OllieNotts:

Would you not be better taking the crap paying job and getting topped up with tax credits or whatever?

Not really cause of what she earns we would still be earning too much to qualify for owt(I think not sure though), even though she isnt earning from sep they take into account this years wage not the fact that it goes down next year if you know what I mean. Also she can go back to work in september and me getting a job where we can afford to keep her off till April is what we are aiming for. The guy who offered me the job wanted a long term stayer to train up etc where as I knew it wouldnt be long term for me so I was honest and he appreciated that so I didnt accept.

if God wanted us to work nights he would have called it day

hitch:
if God wanted us to work nights he would have called it day

if he wanted us to fly he would have given wings and the same goes for spending anytime at sea he would have given us gills :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OllieNotts:

44 Tonne Ton:

OllieNotts:

Not really cause of what she earns we would still be earning too much to qualify for owt(I think not sure though), even though she isnt earning from sep they take into account this years wage not the fact that it goes down next year if you know what I mean. Also she can go back to work in september and me getting a job where we can afford to keep her off till April is what we are aiming for. The guy who offered me the job wanted a long term stayer to train up etc where as I knew it wouldnt be long term for me so I was honest and he appreciated that so I didnt accept.

Aye I can see your point. I’m not totally au fait with the benefits system but there seems to be a serious flaw in the working tax credit scheme that should be addressed but don’t hold your breath!

44 Tonne Ton:

OllieNotts:

44 Tonne Ton:

OllieNotts:

Aye I can see your point. I’m not totally au fait with the benefits system but there seems to be a serious flaw in the working tax credit scheme that should be addressed but don’t hold your breath!

Well I am English and white so that puts to the very back of any benefits this government hands out :unamused: :wink:

I"ve worked nights for the last 3 years it suits me and my wife fine. I"m always finished and home by 4 am i get a night rate increase after 8pm all new kit no hassle.I admit i havent alot of work of late but called into meeting saturday and got a written contract saying they will pay me 40 hours a week even if i have no work :smiley:

If I was meant to be up all night Id have been born a bloody owl. So no its not for me,did 7 years of shifts in a factory and always detested the nights.
Mate of mine morks permanent nights mon-fri, and prefers it to days due to the amount of traffic that aint about,but, he always does more work than the day man because his gaffers plan more because of the less traffic. Nights is one of those things you either love or hate, we used to have 5 night drivers and they wouldnt do days under any circumstances.

garnerlives:
Another bonus of working nights, is you have less tossers on the road to deal with at night :wink:

Yeah…But…isn’t that when you and me are out and about?? :wink: :wink: :wink
Thats 2 tossers for a start!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Dunno then?:

garnerlives:

Yeah…But…isn’t that when you and me are out and about?? :wink: :wink: :wink
Thats 2 tossers for a start!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Plus theres more people around to nick your hat, eh Jon :wink:
I nearly wet myself when he texted me that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: