Newbie? Well Kind of?

Hi folks,
I’ve recently gone back to driving HGV’s after having 10 years away from the industry, how its changed!

Got a job OK after an assessment & interview, and have really fumbled through the Digital Tacho, wow no more dipping the oil - now you just press a button in the cab! (I’d still like to check a proppa dipstick, somehow I don’t believe that screen whereas seeing the black stuff up to the line and having it drip on my boots somehow seems more convincing).

Passed my HGV1 in 1987 then my PSV1 in 1989, had a motorcycle licence since 1970 and then a car licence since 1975 so I’ve been away from HGV’s but always driving something.

I understand I’ll have to do the Drivers CPC in 2014 (I think?) hopefully that will be my first and last time because I will be retiring in 2020 (I don’t fancy working up to retirement age anyway so more likely I’ll retire in 2018).

If there is such a thing what is the general wage now for HGV1?

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Joeblunt :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

Joeblunt:
If there is such a thing what is the general wage now for HGV1?

Anything from minimum wage (seriously) upwards.

Some links you may find useful as things have changed a lot in 10 years
Download the 8 page D4 Medical Form Please print (colour, not black & white)
£49 MEDICALS
cheap medical places around the UK

DIGI CARD FORM (Print in colour only)

EU DRIVER REGS

VOSA GUIDE

RT(WTD)R regs

THE PERIODIC (ongoing) DRIVER CPC

Forum for questions on drivers hours

Forum with some useful stuff

Hope these help - happy reading

Many thanks… It appears my intial post was duplicated? How Strange? Feel free to delete the duplicated post(s).

I have a Digi-Card, funny really I sent them a recent photo of myself explaining my D/L was up for renewal in August 2010, I also said that when I renewed my D/L I would be using the enclosed photo. When I received my Digi-Card it had the same photo as on my D/L so they’ve chose a 5/6yr old photo over a recent photo and my D/L & Digi-Card now have different photo’s for the next 5 years!

As digi cards have a 5 year expiry date and the photo they are using is the photo from the current driving licence at time of issue, renewal or replacement and that current driving licence photo has an expiry date of 10 years, then, by default, the digicard photo could be a maximum of almost 15 years old.

Thats crazy isn’t it? Talk about helping fraud eh!