Newbie question about agencys

hey everyone so I passed my class 2 couple of month ago and am now looking for work, tommorow I have an interview with an agency and well, let me just explain my situation first
first off im curently in full time enployment as a road surfacer however currently its been very quiet and so i’ve been layed off for many days of the week (hence why I started looking for agencys)
my question is will the agency be expecting me to leave my road surfacer job and work full time for them? or can I ask simply for weekend work, or is that not allowed? basicly can someone explain to me how agencys work. do they ring you offering you jobs??
im totaly confused about them lol

Most agencies give you a basic tacho hours test paper to complete.
Then once on their books,they can call at very short notice to give a job to you.
Some drivers get full time jobs at the firm the agency sent them to.
Check the pay.They short change,hoping drivers will not notice.

From my personal experiance over the last couple of months, (newbie too) there are some good agencies and most of them are bad agencies! I am signed up to 4 at the moment 3 of them are rubbish and the 4th it very good. You shouldent be asked to give up your current job as they cannot gaurentee you work. they ring you and say do you want to work this shift? you can say no because you are already working and they shouldent hold it against you.

The agency wont openly expect you to give up your current job although they do like to think you are hanging on the back of their door for use as and when THEY wish. No doubt they will say they are actively turning work away and they have more than they can cope with but the second you sign the contract there will be a bolt of lightening and a curse will be put upon the agency because the work will suddenly dry up and you will be left thinking " but they said they were rushed off their feet".

As regards weekend work, you can do what you like but remember your current job COULD interfere with your driving work as it is paid employment and the driver hour rules will apply as soon as you insert a tacho but they apply for the next 2 weeks at least regardless of whether you do any driving work or not.

Harvy:
From my personal experiance over the last couple of months, (newbie too) there are some good agencies and most of them are bad agencies! I am signed up to 4 at the moment 3 of them are rubbish and the 4th it very good. You shouldent be asked to give up your current job as they cannot gaurentee you work. they ring you and say do you want to work this shift? you can say no because you are already working and they shouldent hold it against you.

you should name the ones your not happy with Harvy , I’ve prob worked for them at some point :wink: