Newbie Agency Question

Hi all,

New (relatively) class 2 pass here; I have my digi tacho & CPC ‘in hand’ - and have a question on working for agencies. I’ve done a bit of reading around the boards here & it seems that agency is the way to go if you’re prepared to put the graft in (experience of different companies/lorry types etc.). I don’t want to make the jump full time as I need a guaranteed income & couldn’t afford to have work ‘dry up’. What is the possibility of finding part time (1-2 shifts a week) work that could be fit around other employment for someone with no van/7.5t exp? (obviously keeping an eye on WTD etc and making sure daily rest breaks are adhered to etc).

Or would I be better ‘knocking on doors’ and seeing if any companies out there are looking for part-time drivers? my current work is fairly constant in terms of days of the week that I work.

Apologies if i’m asking one of those ‘world and his dog has already asked’ questions - and thanks for any advice :slight_smile:

Agency is probably the easier option in your case if you want to start with a couple of part time shifts, save the knocking on doors for when you’re looking for full time.
Agency can offer as and when, you must have read about the lies they spout so treat what they say with a pinch of salt.

as above,

register with as many of them as possible so you van make your preferences later on

Thanks for the advice guys, sounds like the way forward. I may or not need to register though:- I’ve managed to wangle a driving assessment with Wincanton! So finger’s crossed!

If I don’t manage to get it, at least i’ll have some feedback, then I can crack on looking at agencies :slight_smile:

Yep, if you only want a couple of shifts a week, injure your leg and develop the agency limp! :smiley:

Hi guys,
Looks like I may not need to develop a limp/obtain a lidl carrier-bag! I’ve still got my assessment with Wincanton, but have also gone in for a chat with Lambert Bros, and think I may have a job offer on the cards :smiley: Need to organise a driving assessment, but have had an interview type affair & it sounds like, subject to my drive coming up to par, I should be taken on full-time! Goes to show there are decent jobs out there for us newbies, if you’re determined enough and stick to your guns :grimacing: Chuffed would be an understatement!

well done, when is your assessment?

Still being organised, but should be this week coming or next week. Keeping everything crossed, they sound like a good firm to work for :slight_smile:

twistgrips:
Still being organised, but should be this week coming or next week. Keeping everything crossed, they sound like a good firm to work for :slight_smile:

Hope you get it asap.
But not wait for one job, keep looking for other jobs. They maybe a good firm but you maybe waiting for a call for weeks. I had to waited 3 week before I got a call and 2 more week after I start.

Goodluck

Hi Moreno,
I have 2 assessments this week now, so all being well, I should put in a good drive. If I manage to get an offer, great. If not, I should at atleast get some more experience, can’t argue with that! Will post a reply after each drive to keep everyone posted :slight_smile:

Done them both, had an interview (no driving) for wincanton/B&Q and a drive with Lambert Bros.
B&Q it sounded like they want someone who can just jump in and drive, so probably not the best idea for me.

Lamberts was almost the opposite, I went in and let them know I was completely ‘green’, they gave me loads of tips throughout on tachos/daily walkrounds/defects etc. Went out in an old flatbed with a straight 6, had some problems along the way selecting wrong gears etc, but seemed to cope ok. Three quarters of an hour or so culminated in being asked to park in they yard (next to the assessors car!).

Went back in, downloaded the digital tacho & was shown the readout that is sent to the office and met some of the staff, and was offered a multi-drop job, over the moon is an understatement! They were great from first meeting to after the drive, sounds like they will be happy to help me find my way, I was told they’d rather me ask and feel daft than try and get it wrong, sounds like the right type of firm to start with :slight_smile:

I’ve heard more positive things about Lambert Bros recently, also that the brothers don’t own it anymore.
Not sure if that’s true, but good that it went well for you pal! :smiley:

They were bought out by kinexia, don’t know anything about them though, reading through here on other companies that they aquired,some say it was worse, some say it was no different or better, don’t know how it went for Lamberts though, but it sounds like they have loads of long term drivers so I take that as a good sign.