Newbie from Merseyside

Hi All
My name’s Steve, Im from Liverpool and I’m 55
Just got back into the driving game after a 16yr gap. Used to drive part time for agencies on a class C for about 10yrs, let my licence lapse bout 10yrs ago as at the time I had no need for it. But due to reasons I won’t go into, I needed to renew and decided to pay for a C+E course. Really unsure on how I would handle a HGV especially after such a long break, add to that the fact that it was a W+D. Had a great instructor tho - Town and Country, just outside Kirkby Merseyside. Anyways wasn’t as bad as I expected, lot of bad habits tho that needed sorting, but after 18hrs or so took a test, failed on a schoolboy error, didn’t reverse back enough into the box!!!..got a cancellation a cpl of weeks later and took a few more hrs driving, this time I passed with 5 minors.
Just got my licence back this weekend, so just need to register with local agencies.
Just a couple of points if anyone could help me with, firstly I was thinking of having 2/3 hrs training on an artic and secondly is there any advantage going self-employed.
Thanks in anticipation.
Great forum BTW…look forward to having an input

Steve

stevedmuk:
Hi All
My name’s Steve, Im from Liverpool and I’m 55

Hi stevedmuk,

As an ex-LGV instructor, I’d say it’s a good idea to go ahead and get yourself some practice/tuition on an artic, cos they do handle a bit differently on roundabouts and the couple/uncouple is different.

I’m ‘over the water’ from you, so I wouldn’t have any idea of what agencies are any good where you are.

I’m fairly sure you’ll get some answers in a while when some of the locals spot your post. :wink:

:bulb: Plan ‘B’ is that I’ll move your post into the main forum if there are no helpful answers after a few days, cos having read your post, I’d say you’re not quite as new as you might think. :smiley: :grimacing: :wink:

Hello and welcome steve
like you mate im have gone back driving after a good few yrs break at 54 yrs of age . failed CE last tues drove in a bus lane (stupid mistake ) . Im with 2 good agents on cat C work Leyland and Darwin but they have work all over the place and im with 2 others who i never got a job off upto now . but i just got a job on tipper trucks so gonna see how this goes and phone agents next week to thank them and give them the bad news . but i do know that there are loads of Cat CE jobs going in Skelmasdale Widness . so heres a link to Reeds job site

reed.co.uk/job/searchresults … st+England

best of luck mate

Thanks for the welcome guys…
Dave, you may be right bout not bein a newbie, but I know I’m still gonna need a ton of advice…

Yambol, sorry to hear bout your test last week, its a real sickener to fail on something like that…but I’m sure you’ll get there… the best of luck with the tipper job and thanks for the link btw

Welcome to the mad house

You in Liverpool nowt good there :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There have been a lot of changes in the last 16yr that you been out the game but good luck with it

This may be of some help

online.businesslink.gov.uk/Tran … s_0511.pdf

Did you incorporate any of your dcpc with your training :question: as you will need 35 hr before 2014 if you wish to continue driving for a living after that

this may help for providers that can give you artic training

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44667

Hope this helps

ang

Congrats on passing your test :smiley:
I hear that there’s quite a bit of agency work in the Widnes are,imagine around Liverpool too.
How much does 2/3 hours training on an artic cost ? just curious like.
It would I’m sure give you more confidence,especially practicsing reversing.
Good luck. :wink:

Did you already have a restricted CE on your licence prior to CE training?

Thanks guys, really appreciate your replies…
Hi Animal, good to hear from you… you’re right about the changes. Knowledge of those changes and good practice is something that will come with experience I guess. I didn’t do any CPC training and it’s something that I would want get done as soon as. Thanks for the links
Hi ROG and James, good to meet you both…there does seem to be a bit of work around Widnes and Skelmersdale, but it’s the experience issue, but I’ll sign up for agencies and take it from there…I was guessing the rate for artic training to be bout £40 - £50 per hour (based on £175 for 4hrs on a W+D). As for the restricted C+E on my class2, yes I did have it, but never drove W+D back then
Cheers guys

£40-£50 ph sounds pretty good,as said some much needed experience,re: the " experience issue " I was told a while ago that if sign up with an agency called Jark on the Stobart contract in Widnes,they send newly passed out with experienced drivers to get shown the ropes.
Might be worth giving them a bell/e-mail and ask them if this is still the case.

stevedmuk:
As for the restricted C+E on my class2, yes I did have it, but never drove W+D back then

Did you get CE restricted back when you passed the recent medical?

If yes, then you could legally have done any W&D CE training without L plates and driven out of the test centre after test without them - pass or fail

Hi James, I’ve heard about Stobarts takin on newbies, its something I’ll follow up….
Yes ROG I did get CE restricted back following the medical, when I went for my training I was fully expecting an artic…but it was a W+D, had no idea that this was good enough to train on for a C+E….seemed really odd that I was taking my training and test in a vehicle that I was already licenced to drive

stevedmuk:
Hi James, I’ve heard about Stobarts takin on newbies, its something I’ll follow up….
Yes ROG I did get CE restricted back following the medical, when I went for my training I was fully expecting an artic…but it was a W+D, had no idea that this was good enough to train on for a C+E….seemed really odd that I was taking my training and test in a vehicle that I was already licenced to drive

Hi stevedmuk,
Driving licence categories and entitlements are a couple of the things that have changed during your absence.
Another important change is that the old 1985 drivers’ hours Regulations got changed in 2007.

Please go here for a read, and if you’re unsure then please ask:
:arrow_right: SAFETY, LAW AND WORKING TIME DIRECTIVE FORUM (INTE - Trucknet UK

:laughing: :laughing: :wink: Whatever you do, don’t ask ROG to explain it… :open_mouth: :grimacing:

Thanks Dave, knowledge of driving hours/digi tacho/WTD and related rules and regs is one thing that I’ve been getting through over the past few days.

Try redline (agency) in warington. They had plenty of work when I passed. Also stobarts in widnes. I’ve been working there for a few months