Newbie from aberdeen

Hello all I decided the other day to go for my LGV licence, Ive sent away for the required forms so im still
in the early days of my journey but wanted to say hello anyhoo and join this ere forum

Cheers
Lee

Hi and welcome.

Good luck in your training and test

Beware of the middlemen when choosing a training school.

There is a thread on here with a list of local training schools

Dean

A read of this thread will definitely set you in the right direction

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30889

Welcome :slight_smile:

leedgd:
Hello all I decided the other day to go for my LGV licence, Ive sent away for the required forms so im still
in the early days of my journey but wanted to say hello anyhoo and join this ere forum

Cheers
Lee

Hi leedgd,

Happy to have you on board. :smiley:

If you have any questions, or need any info, then please feel free to ask and we’ll do our best to help. :smiley:

Cheers people.
The link about the training schools is much appreciated (Just had a guy on the phone for ages from NetworkHGV) he`s been trying to phone all day!! so thats not a good sign.

He sais

£1195
Class 2 or C as its known
20 hrs driving
medical
theory/HP study material (online)
Theory Test
all inc

£2195
C + C+E
Back to back

Im not going for it as i dont want to be regretting nothing but ■■■■ he tryed hard.
Thats sales people for you eh?

Hiyyaaa leedgd, & welcome :smiley:

leedgd:
Cheers people.
The link about the training schools is much appreciated (Just had a guy on the phone for ages from NetworkHGV) he`s been trying to phone all day!! so thats not a good sign.

He sais

£1195
Class 2 or C as its known
20 hrs driving
medical
theory/HP study material (online)
Theory Test
all inc

£2195
C + C+E
Back to back

Im not going for it as i dont want to be regretting nothing but ■■■■ he tryed hard.
Thats sales people for you eh?

Hi Lee,

These guys really make me laugh!!

How the hell does he know you need 20 hours to be at test standard, is he psychic? :open_mouth:

It looks like you’ve already made a decision that you won’t regret, so you’re off to a great start. :wink:

hi Lee welcome :sunglasses:

How the hell does he know you need 20 hours to be at test standard, is he psychic?

DD I hold you in the highest regard as you know - but I really can’t let this one go! If the guy can’t do it in 20 hours then he’s chosen the wrong career. Whilst I’ve got no time for Network and their like, it’s common practice for schools operating with a larger catchment area than “local” to offer a one size fits all course. I’ve been doing it for years with massive success. Also with less than 20 hours. The proof is in the pudding. I have customers literally from all over the UK and it’s uncommon that anyone has to come back for a 2nd go. It’s to do with the standards of training, test area, vehicles and general support rather than an abitary number of hours.

In common with most trainers, I also offer an assessment drive - free - but this perhaps isn’t practical when someone’s come from the other end of the UK. Which, as I’ve said, we have all the time. On the books at the moment we have customers from Tenerife, North Devon and Scotland without all the ones in between.

DD, the formula that I use clearly works. But more for the reasons stated above than for any other. What is clear is that some folk will find the course tougher than others. But let’s not be fooled by the assessment thing. This is little more than a ploy used by some trainers to “get them in”. The fact of the matter is that the assessment will show the current standard of drive (in a totally strange vehicle with an unfamiliar gearbox accompanied by someone they don’t know from Adam). What the assessment cannot possibly show is the rate of learning that will be accepted by the candidate. Whilst some tuition will always need to be given, it’s over a relatively short period and you really would have to be in possession of good quality crystal balls to be able to give a definitive training time. I use assessments only to put folks mind at rest if they’ve got any qualms. The outcome of the assessment, with extremely rare exceptions, is predictable.

But I’ve only been at this for 40 years so maybe I’ve been getting it wrong all this time. :laughing: :laughing: