Newbie advise on containers

Well I have just landed myself a job on containers so im seeking any advice and information that can help me out :smiley:

Thanks in advance guys & gals :smiley:

Join a gym cos you’ll get fat. :smiley:

total madness:
Well I have just landed myself a job on containers so im seeking any advice and information that can help me out :smiley:

Thanks in advance guys & gals :smiley:

TAKE YOUR LICENCE TO FELIXSTOWE FOR RHIDES CARD AS YOU WONT GET A BOX AND THE GRAIN IN KENT GOOD LUCK

Who you on for or who are you subbing for what dock are you running out of if you tell us this then people mite be able to give you alot more info :wink:

Big â– â– â– â– :
Who you on for or who are you subbing for what dock are you running out of if you tell us this then people mite be able to give you alot more info :wink:

Good Idea :laughing:
Its for C & C James Transport of Beaworthy in Devon and they said the work is mainly out of Southampton and back down to Devon/Cornwall area,

Thanks for the advice so far people :smiley:

keano1:
Join a gym cos you’ll get fat. :smiley:

I could do with putting on a bit of weight :laughing:

Invest in a pillow and duvet as you’ll spend most of your day in the bunk :grimacing: :grimacing: :wink:

Hi, totalmadness, glad to hear you’re moving on&up. From my time doing containers, best advice I’d offer is be seriously aware of movements whilst railside or dockside, it’s too easy to be squashed by a crane or a kalmar! Check & secure your container twist locks AFTER you have driven away from the crane/kalmar, they got mine wrong plenty of times. And like the guys said, bring a pillow, there’s lots of waiting around :unamused:

Hi mate the job is quite a simply one or two things. just make sure your are loaded with the correct box at the dock and when giving your box number and seal number to the shipping line or your tm make sure its correct cos he has to book it on the key. Sometimes on containers the 20 foot boxes are double stacked with not much support so take it easy on bends they dont take prisoners
Always check the condition of the inside of the box if doing a collection becasue if it is â– â– â– â– â–  and your collecting food,surgar they will fu#k you off. anyway if you are not sure just ask most drivers are quite helpful but the dock staff are a waste of time

So Goodluck with the job :wink:

Make sure the doors are at the back you may laugh but i nearly done it

brett73:

agreed, sometimes the obvious, can get missed.

maybe handy to get yourself a decent mallet. the twistlocks, can sometimes be a â– â– â– â– â–  to turn, also, the rear doors can often be a â– â– â– â– â–  to open and close, so a bit of extra force, can help. 2 spiders/elastic bungies, are handy, as sometimes, the doors have nothing to secure them open, when backing on a bay, so hook them on the chassis, and wrap them round the doors, to hold them securely in place.
good luck.

Well thank you all for your advice :smiley:
I did my first container job today and it all went well,
I had to take a full container of clay from near Holsworthy in Devon to dock gate 20 in Southampton and get it taken off then go around to dock gate 10 to pick up an empty to bring back,
Im not sure how it all went so smoothly with all the computerised gates that didnt understand my cries for help and some of you crazed container drivers flying around like bats out of hell but I kept my cool and felt confident and it all went to plan! :smiley:

brett73:

unless your picking up scrap from some places then u need doors at the front

total madness:
I had to take a full container of clay from near Holsworthy in Devon to dock gate 20 in Southampton and get it taken off then go around to dock gate 10 to pick up an empty to bring back,
Im not sure how it all went so smoothly with all the computerised gates that didnt understand my cries for help and some of you crazed container drivers flying around like bats out of hell but I kept my cool and felt confident and it all went to plan! :smiley:

Been there, done that :smiley: Dock gate 10…Pentalvers :question:

Get yourself a 3’ length of scaffold pole. Usefull for stiff doors/twistlocks.
(I’ve got one going spare…don’t need it on Fridges)

Semtex:

total madness:

Been there, done that :smiley: Dock gate 10…Pentalvers :question:

Get yourself a 3’ length of scaffold pole. Usefull for stiff doors/twistlocks.
(I’ve got one going spare…don’t need it on Fridges)

Thats the one Semtex :smiley:
I have a length of scaffold tube in the shed I think, If not the neighbours have some all around there house at the moment so ill borrow a bit off that!
Im sure they wont miss one bit :laughing:

It’s always a good idea to make sure the twistlocks are secure. I managed to get from the the old bell lines terminal in Newport all the way to a roundabout in Liverpool before I realised my mistake.