Containers - advice please.

I posted this on the New and Wannabe forum but got no replies and time is getting short now.

My agency has given me a job tomorrow on container work (just days, not overnight). It will be my first job on the boxes.
Tips, advice, etc. welcome, please.

Thanks
Alan

Where u getting your box from? I mean docks, railport or yard?

Make sure you get the container put on the right way round! It sounds so blatantly obvious but I do actually know someone who due to while having driven for 15 years, had not done much on containers before, combined with not paying attention and the crane driver obviously trying to amuse himself…well he had the box put on the wrong way round at Immingham and didn’t realise until he got to his delivery in Trafford Park and had to go to and get it turned around with much embarrassment.

If you’re going to be doing containers for a while, try and get yourself something like a short cut down piece of scaffolding to use on the door handles as they can be very stiff and it can be all but impossible to apply any sort of force when they’re high up in the air if you’re standing on the ground.

degsy4wheels:
Where u getting your box from? I mean docks, railport or yard?

Don’t know - just Geodis Wilson in Thurrock.

Only the obvious:

-Check your twist locks

• sure you know how to use the skelly if you will need to move it at all
    -stand clear of the doors when you open them as stuff will often try and jump out and squish you!

Good luck!

What they said and get a good book. Plural if you are going to do them regularly.

Most has been said above,

1. understand how to configure the skelly befor you set off.
  2. take note of the information signs when getting box on or off.
  3. be sure to lock box on before departing.
  4. ask questions, most drivers only look scary.
  5. with a standard box you will run at about 13’6’’ , with a high cube about 14’6’‘, highcubes are marked on the box as 9’6’'.

I will pm a mobi number in case of panick.

bazstan009:
Most has been said above,

1. understand how to configure the skelly befor you set off.
  2. take note of the information signs when getting box on or off.
  3. be sure to lock box on before departing.
  4. ask questions, most drivers only look scary.
  5. with a standard box you will run at about 13’6’’ , with a high cube about 14’6’‘, highcubes are marked on the box as 9’6’'.

Top guy, this is what its all about :wink:

bazstan009:
5) with a standard box you will run at about 13’6’’ , with a high cube about 14’6’‘, highcubes are marked on the box as 9’6’'.

Are standard boxes really that low on a normal UK spec skellie trailer? They look so much higher as they sit so much higher up to start with compared to European trailers and the ones over here.

bazstan009:

Thanks mate - well above and beyond the call of duty, if you ask me.

+1

robinhood_1984:

bazstan009:
5) with a standard box you will run at about 13’6’’ , with a high cube about 14’6’‘, highcubes are marked on the box as 9’6’'.

Are standard boxes really that low on a normal UK spec skellie trailer? They look so much higher as they sit so much higher up to start with compared to European trailers and the ones over here.

Now i will have to make sure my tape measure did not come from china. :smiley:

bazstan009:

robinhood_1984:

bazstan009:

Now i will have to make sure my tape measure did not come from china. :smiley:

Haha! +1 about getting it on the right way round , I was sat thinking why isn’t he putting box on lol , doh!! Take it steady as you don’t know how it’s been loaded

Smoggie89:
Haha! +1 about getting it on the right way round , I was sat thinking why isn’t he putting box on lol , doh!! Take it steady as you don’t know how it’s been loaded

:angry: Samskip lads are usually spot on but if you go on P&O they will happily dump a box on you backwards! :slight_smile:

PremiumTrucker:

Smoggie89:

:angry: Samskip lads are usually spot on but if you go on P&O they will happily dump a box on you backwards! :slight_smile:

I’ve never been on p&o. 1 stacker driver had a little strop today coz he had to move a bit lol.

If you get a 20ft box, make sure it’s on the correct pins. Piccy will be on the side of the trailer what goes where.

Front pins are for 45ft box only.

20ft box: The pins nearest the middle axle of the skelly are the rear pins and the other are 20ft in front of that… :laughing:

If you use the pins on the front with a 20ft box you may well struggle at the tip… apart from the fact you could be overweight on an axle or two.

Check the pins in the trailer slider unit have fully engaged on both sides before setting off. And as has been said check the twist locks are done up. Equally, ensure the twist locks are all undone BEFORE the lifter/crane takes the box off… :wink:

For all you worrying about a box on backwards, problem solved below

youtube.com/watch?v=EUZ_MH3qdYs

kitbuilder123:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUZ_MH3qdYs

I hope those container guides can be removed or he’s going to have a bit of trouble getting those doors open!

I did post on the other thread but I didn’t see this one.

I posted on the Newbie section.Some boxes from exotic countries have to be fumigated to allow varnish or other odours to escape.
Insect killer is used and can take hours before unloading staff will tip it.
Snakes and spiders have been known to be in boxes.